• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New HVAC

My turn. Prices have escalated in the last two years, owch! Lennox heat pump, 22 SEER, 99%-efficient, with a lifetime P&L guarantee (we'll see how that holds up when a compressor goes out in 15 years). Replaced an R22 A/C and gas furnace, both 23 years old. I was disappointed that it was as loud as my old system, but since reaching target temp I haven't heard it since. I did get about $4,000 tax/rebates, but still... owch!

>bump!<

Was 64˚ in the house this morning, so I finally did a deep-dive into that stupid Lennox S40 thermostat controlling my new heat pump/furnace system. Downloaded another "Owner's Manual" which said the same damn things as the others, but I could only control the A/C temp from the thermostat, which is normally a black screen about 4" x 6". There are three horizontal, short lines in the upper-left corner (the standard "Menu" option), but it never responded to me touching it, only the A/C thermo.
I touched it, "clicked" it, "hard-pressed" it, double-clicked it, and it finally responded (and I can't remember what kind've press I used), and I was able to control everything else from then on. I've never heard of a section of a touch-screen being ultra-sensitive, but I think that's the situation I have here. Heat finally kicked on, full-blast. After an hour or so the unit in the basement started a loud, thumping sound, about 1 Hz. Was just about to call the HVAC guys and then it started to quiet down, and then went away; I'm assuming this was just some mechanical linkage getting settled in (first time using heat). Once the house warmed up, the system has been whisper-quiet to inaudible, nice!

This system was installed on 4 August. My last utility bill, 1-31 Aug, was ~$48, just over a third of last year's electric bill. I did a quick calculation and this new system should pay for itself when I turn 137; Yay! It is fantastically quiet, and when it needs to be replaced again, hopefully I'll be dead.

Hey Botch, If you can manipulate your Lennox thermostat again, try to find Settings > Display. From there, you should be able to turn on a proximity sensor to wake it up. We also have ours set to display a screensaver that mimics the outside weather. It’s not the best photo in the world, but it might help:
IMG_2389.jpeg

Back