• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Live TV...cut your cable !

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Here is a new service that just started. Its only in NY but is expanding (will be in Austin soon !). Not sure how I could use it (don't have a Roku) but it also works with airplay. I gotta check this out....

https://aereo.com/home

Now folks that can't have OTA due to trees/mountians.....if you have internet.....
The charge doesn't seem too bad.
What do ya'll think ?

Neat.

I'm not sure it's a cable killer because, IMO, most people want access to more than their local channels.

I'm getting ready to dump AT&T for Comcast very soon. One thing I discovered is that the way Comcast's pricing structure works, it is really not any cheaper to get internet alone than it is to get internet with basic cable. Of course, Comcast figures they'll make their money on cable box rental fees so you can actually watch it in HD. I'm going a different route. I'm going to buy a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime network attached CableCARD multi-stream (three) tuner, use Windows Media Center as a DVR and then use my Roku and PS3 boxes to watch the recorded programming (will work with anything but premium channels). I can even stream and control live TV via a PS3 or an iPad and it looks like there is a live TV channel for Plex that is specifically designed to work with that device. That means I'll pay $179 for the box and $1.50/mo for the CableCARD while getting the cable service for next to free.

I guess I'm just lazy. I tried using OTA to a PC using Media Center for DVR, Xbox for access at the TV, plus Roku for other free Internet channels. It worked but it was a bit of a disjointed hassle. My family and I decided we just didn't want to hassle with our entertainment; launching apps, running PCs and multiple devices, controlling with weird remotes and or laggy tablet and phone apps, remembering which content was on which device...

In the end we decided to not have to "manage" our TV and go back to pay TV.

Tom don't you get mad discounts on your TV because of your job. I mean is it even an issue?

Towen7 said:
I guess I'm just lazy. I tried using OTA to a PC using Media Center for DVR, Xbox for access at the TV, plus Roku for other free Internet channels. It worked but it was a bit of a disjointed hassle. My family and I decided we just didn't want to hassle with our entertainment; launching apps, running PCs and multiple devices, controlling with weird remotes and or laggy tablet and phone apps, remembering which content was on which device...

In the end we decided to not have to "manage" our TV and go back to pay TV.

I am avoiding most of those problems by using Plex Media Server in conjunction with Roku boxes. Plex handles all of our local media, including music, home videos, photographs, ripped movies and ripped TV shows. There is a very nice Plex channel for Roku. Our Roku boxes are all connected to our various streaming accounts (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, etc.)

There is a Roku for MythTV, which is a Linux-based DVR. I may try that later, but I don't want to shell out for a dedicated Linux PC right now (Plex and Logitech Media Center can also run on Linux, so I would end up with that as a dedicated media server). What I am going to do for starters is set Windows Media Center up on my PC to record all of the shows we watch. We damned near never watch live television, so needing to use the PS3 for that is no big deal. The TV shows recorded by WMC will go into a directory shared with the Plex server, which will make them available on the Roku boxes. The only downside is that my PC will need to transcode everything to m4v because Roku boxes do not support MPEG2. If I find that puts too much load on my box, I can either set up a batch job to transcode everything to m4v overnight, upgrade my PC or move forward with that Linux media server and MythTV.

I don't care if it takes awhile to set up, as long as it is seamless and easy to use for my family. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. I have to wait a month or so, because I don't want to lease any equipment from Comcast and need to buy a good cable modem. I'm also going to need a much faster router to handle all the additional wireless overhead, since I'm going to lose hard-wired connections to two rooms when I dump U-Verse (they work thru the STBs). I'm looking at a 1200mbps wireless N router, which should be plenty. There are not enough wireless ac devices out there for that to make sense yet. Finally, I need to buy the Silicon Dust tuner box. All told, that will run about $400. It is an investment that will pay for itself in the first five months on Comcast.

As most of the old times know, I used to be a big fan of D* & even had a thread about all the new stuff they were doing............dropped them like a hot potatoe. I've been using OTA for 6 years where i live now (just had TWC for a couple months after we bought this house). All I have is TWC Turbo Roadrunner internet (middle offering....20mbs)....it was around $30 a month for years....but after awhile, the new customer pricing goes to regular price (its now $68 a month). Yes, I have called....and all I get is a $5 a month discount. I could cancel....wait a while & re-start...but what am I suppost to due during that time for internet in the home ?
There isn't any service where I live but TWC (I'm getting mid to low 20's mbs) & their tech support is top-notch here.....I have the tech's pnone number if issues & he shows up fast.
Now, back to locals. Some folks (Yesfan...by the way, has he been around lately ?) can't use an antenna due to hills etc. My sister in Hot Springs, Ark can't use a cell phone at their home (they have to have a land-line) or antenna due to hills etc.
If providers would start to offer alcart............never will happen.

When I was shopping around for internet access, I discovered that Comcast was about the best I can do and that it wasn't really any cheaper to drop TV entirely. The deal I'm getting is this:

The Package:
30mbps Internet
Basic Cable
Comcast's streaming service

The Cost:
$50 first six months
$69 second six months
$79 thereafter unless I take advantage of another deal

I'm going to get a CableCARD for $1.50/mo and avoid spending money on cable boxes. This is sadly, the best deal I can come up with. Dropping TV didn't really move the price much and I can't get good OTA where I live, so I figured I'd just do a DIY HD DVR solution and save money that way. I'm currently spending over $130/mo with AT&T.

Haywood said:
I'm getting ready to dump AT&T for Comcast very soon.

A friend of mine posted this on Farcebook, it made me think of your comment above:

My tragicomic story of Comcast nearly ended with literal bloodshed today, but it also revealed how bad the service truly is. My service center is in the heart of an industrial district of Gary Indiana in a building that is behind a huge power company. There is a gravel road with no sign. The line inside was tremendous. 2 hours of waiting and I finally get the associate to figure out what I am trying to do (return equipment). As I FINALLY finish the transaction, the customer next to me very quietly says to another associate "If you don't fix my f__king TV..." and pull up his shirt to reveal the shiniest trigger and handle of a .45 I've ever seen. I don't even slow down and head for the door, but I actually gave an involuntary bro nod to him. And the associate? She doesn't even blink...she just taps the bulletproof glass that separates her from the rabble. I was on the raod 30 seconds later and did not see the resolution.

Is AT&T this bad? I hope not. At least their internet is a bit faster in this area.

:?

EDIT: Forgot: he'd posted a couple times earlier, he'd called Comkrap on the phone five days in a row, was put on hold from one to two hours each time, and then disconnected. Caveat Emptor. :|

The problem with AT&T is that it is DSL based, which means slower internet and no CableCARD. Those are the only options I've got here. The only equipment I'm getting from Comcast is going to be a CableCARD, which means I can just mail it back to them when I'm done.

I did a lot more research and decided to scrap the Linux/MythTV option. It is simply too complicated, too much work, too unstable and too poorly supported. Instead, I found a nice solution based around Windows Media Center that still works with my Roku boxes. I'll use the DVR in Windows Media Center to record all of my programming. Then a program called MCEBuddy will strip out all of the adds, transcode the files into m4v and drop them in my Plex Recorded TV folder automatically. I'll set up Plex to scan for new media every 15 minutes. That means that shows will show up on the Roku boxes no more than an hour after airing, commercial free. I can live with that.

Back