• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Oppo BD83 Firmware

Maybe a dumb question, but this Oppo model has been around for quite a while, so why the updates? Does it have to do with continuing problems? Seems like any issues would have been taken care of long ago. Just curious.........

A lot of the updates are for certain disks that the player didn't like. I'm really happy with Oppo that they're continuing to improve a product they no longer make. :text-bravo:
I'll download this and keep my fingers crossed that it fixes the one problem I have with mine: The first few milliseconds of every song on a DVD-A is clipped off. I was surprised to see that Tom's player did the same thing at the GTG (Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, for example, begins with three tom hits, but the player doesn't play the first one).
Thanks for the head's-up, Zod! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Release Notes:

This public beta version works for both the standard BDP-83 and the BDP-83 Special Edition. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-55-0226, this version focuses on improving the physical disc compatibility:

1. Resolved the disc loading issue reported on several recently released DVD movies. These DVD discs come with their Blu-ray package and sample titles include "True Grit", "Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon" and "Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides". The reason for this issue is related to the new anti-copy strategy implemented on these DVDs which keeps BDP-83 searching for non-existing contents. This problem has been solved. 2. Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming releases. Sample titles included "Rory Gallagher: Live in Montreaux (DVD)", "Avatar" (Blu-ray included in the Panasonic 3D Kit Bundle), "OTAKU (DVD)", "Fantasia 2000 (BD, European version)", "Alban Berg Quartet: Beethoven String Quartets, Vol. 1 (DVD-A)" and "Live! (DVD, 2007)".

Rope

Botch said:
The first few milliseconds of every song on a DVD-A is clipped off. I was surprised to see that Tom's player did the same thing at the GTG (Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, for example, begins with three tom hits, but the player doesn't play the first one).

I attribute that to my pre/pro which takes a a fraction of a sec to lock onto the audio signal. It happens occasionally while watching a TV program that is in DD and the commercial in stereo. On CD's the pre's display shows that it has no audio signal between tracks and once the track starts it takes a fraction of a second to lock back onto the signal and get itself back in the right mode. Its imperceptible 98% of the time because there is no audio in that fist fraction of the track.

Botch said:
A lot of the updates are for certain disks that the player didn't like. I'm really happy with Oppo that they're continuing to improve a product they no longer make. :text-bravo:
I'll download this and keep my fingers crossed that it fixes the one problem I have with mine: The first few milliseconds of every song on a DVD-A is clipped off. I was surprised to see that Tom's player did the same thing at the GTG (Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, for example, begins with three tom hits, but the player doesn't play the first one).
Thanks for the head's-up, Zod! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

:text-+1:

Anyone had disc loading problems since loading this upgrade.

BD disc will load fine but if stopped player seems unable to read disc on restart.

This seems to have started since I installed this latest version.

mzpro5 said:

BD disc will load fine but if stopped player seems unable to read disc on restart.

I have not. Watched, I Am Number Four, got late so I turned everything off. Fired up the next evening, read the disc and away we went!

Rope

Rope said:
mzpro5 said:

I have not. Watched, I Am Number Four, got late so I turned everything off. Fired up the next evening, read the disc and away we went!

Rope

Doesn't happen with every disc in fact seem to happen almost exclusively with rented discs.

I contacted Oppo via email and in less than 2 hours they sent me a detailed fix that included reinstalling the firmware version prior to the last beta they have out. They way they wrote it seems I am not the only person having this problem.

I'll go thru it when I have time this weekend.

Reinstall the latest (March 17,2011) Official release, then reinstall the latest Official beta release. I've done the very same thing on two previous beta releases that didn't take on first installation.

I keep all the zipped releases on my desktop, so there's never a problem going back and reinstalling if a issue arises.

Rope

Back