• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New receiver help.....

Wow.

Tough call. If it were me (sadly it's not) I'd probably go with the Marantz. My reasoning is pretty weak because the only reason it choose it over the Elite is that I've owned Pioneer gear and would prefer to try something new.

Of course that assumes that both have the functionality you need. At this price point I wouldn't make any compromises.

It looks like the Marantz has Pre-outs, which would be good if you were to add dedicated Power Amps to your system in the future. Unless I missed it the Pioneer does not.

Batman has Marantz Equipment, so I am sure that he will give his opinion.....

As it pertains to electronics, in this case receivers, choose the gear that provides the features you need/want. The name on the front panel means little, if anything.

Rope

heeman said:
It looks like the Marantz has Pre-outs, which would be good if you were to add dedicated Power Amps to your system in the future. Unless I missed it the Pioneer does not.

Not trying to be a prick but... yeah... you missed them. The Pioneer VSX-53 has 9 speaker pre-out and 2 subwoofer pre-outs.

:text-link:

Well, I dont thiink it will come as a big secret that I would pick the Marantz. Pioneer's Elite stuff has always been good, at least from everything I have ever heard of it. But I am a Marantz fanboy.

Towen7 said:
heeman said:

Not trying to be a prick but... yeah... you missed them. The Pioneer VSX-53 has 9 speaker pre-out and 2 subwoofer pre-outs.

:text-link:

No problem..............I figured that it did, however I did not see it on the spec sheet that I was looking at hence "Unless I missed it the Pioneer does not." :happy-smileygiantred:

Seems as though the Marantz is the popular choice here so I ordered the Elite. :laughing:

The Marantz power specs are for stereo only and the Elite has quite a bit more going on on the back.

I am considering ordering the Marantz as well and trying them both for a week as I can return either within 30 days.

walls said:
I am considering ordering the Marantz as well and trying them both for a week as I can return either within 30 days.
I love doing that! Nothing beats a hands-on at-home trial/demo.

The one and only thing I hate about Pioneer is the use of the "Universal Crossover" which is fine if you have matching speakers all around, but since most don't this feature needs to be changed in Pioneer receivers so I would choose the Marantz.

Picked up the ELITE this morning, nice unit, built like a tank. Should have it in the system tomorrow.

Ordered the Marantz, due here by tuesday. :banana-dance:

Got a Sony 4ES for sale........ cheap to a forum member.

I would ebay it if I were you. You'd probably get $100 or more for it. For some reason the 4ES is very popular among the Sony fans.

Got the Elite all hooked up, will run the shit out of it hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully the Marantz will be here iun a couple days.

As for the 4ES......... seriously a great receiver. Can set crossover and tone controls for every speaker as well as about a hundred other things. Just doesnt do BLU audio formats or HDMI (HDMI being the killer for me).

After tomorrow I will hopefully know where I stand and make a final decision........might even keep the ES. lol.

One thing I am confused about, is the "newer" DTS and DD for blu EIGHT descrete channels plus sub??? Seems as though there are about ten ways to set speaker selection and I want the best possible solution for me. Which is SEVEN speakers plus ONE sub.

Walls, I'll be watching this thread....sorry if I'm a little late, but maybe not...for Marantz stuff, ck out:
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=marantz&x=34&y=5
I bought my refurbed Marantz MM9000 amp from them many years ago (I think Haywood did also).
Here's another authorized Marantz dealer:
http://www.onecall.com/LandingPage.aspx?lpID=2015&s_tnt=17633:0:0
Batman finds open box deals here from time to time & they are good folks also...bought my NHT SuperOne XU's from them.

I hope to update my old Rotel pre/pro or old Marantz receiver with something newer maybe next year..

I too was a fan on Marantz but when they left the states I found less to like for a long time and have not been back lately to look at their gear and status.

Marantz SD-6000 Cassette
Marantz 6100 turntable

AFAIK 7.1 - 8 channels total including sub/LFE - is still the max for any normal blu-ray. I don't know, technically, what the format is capable of, whether it can do more independent lossless channels than that. Someone here probably knows, and I'm too lazy to google it right now. :laughing:

Back