• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Toy - URC MX980

Towen7

Staff member
I'm a control freak, I admit that.

With the help of two dear friends and forum members, the most recent addition to my home theater system was a new MX980 from URC. I considered several options from Phillips, and Logitech but decided on the MX980 because; it offered RF control (my equipment racks is in an enclosed cabinet); works with an RF/IR receiver that I already have, can be programmed to control multiple systems (theater and patio for example), it can be used with compatible dimmers and switches to control lighting, and in the hands of a good programmer it can be very powerful.

I wanted remote lighting control in the HT so I added a single remote controllable dimmer, also from URC. Now when I press play on the remote the lights slowly dim. When a movie is paused the lights come-up just enough to be able to walk around the room. Stop brings the lights all the way up. The program needs just a tiny bit of tweaking to be perfect, but it is sooooooo nice to have light control now.

You can read reviews elsewhere someone bore you with too many details. I will say though that it's longer than the MX900 I've been using but somehow it feels smaller and lighter in hand. This remote isn't cheap it's worth every penny. Highly recommended.

f6491cdd.jpg

Yromj is the man at programming the URC stuff!!! :bow-blue:

The light contol is addictive. I was sitting in the LR and wanted to turn the lights down and I instinctively grabbed the remote. Problem is I can't control lights in that room... yet ;) ... so I had to get my lazy but up, walk all the way across the room, hit the switch, and walk all the way back to the sofa. What a PITA!

Towen7 said:
... so I had to get my lazy but up, walk all the way across the room, hit the switch, and walk all the way back to the sofa. What a PITA!
Life. It can be so cruel... :laughing:

Towen7 said:
...This remote isn't cheap it's worth every penny. Highly recommended.

Any time I talked to a customer at the store about a URC remote the very first thing I told them was, "I'm not going to beat around the bush - these things aren't cheap. But, if you've invested $10k in equipment do you REALLY want to be frustrated when you use it?" Also, I usually said those things to the less technical person.

John

Back