• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV, $1200 range

lakedmb

Alright, my wife and I have decided to buy a new TV in the next month or two. Since, the video side of this hobby has never been a huge priority I don't know a whole lot about the different technologies available, like all the LED stuff with LCD panels. I came up with a short list of things that will be driving our search. Any recommendations that you guys can provide would be great!

Things to consider:

• Budget: $1200, less would be better
    Screen Size: 46", we feel that 42" may be a tad small
    Distance: We sit roughly 11-12 ft away
    Screen Type: LCD due to lighting condition in living room
    3D: Does not need to be 3D capable
    Uses: BluRay, XBox 360, Netflix streaming
    Internet: Does not need to be internet ready, may be neat but would rarely use it

I think that should cover most questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Panasonic, Samsung and Sony are my steadfast recommendations. Sony probably does LCD a little better but they usually come with a higher price tag. If the price were the same on sets from all 3 I might be inclined to go with Sony. My gut tells me Samsung will probably come in the cheapest, they however are third on my personal preference pecking order. I had a 32" Panasonic LCD after my 32" Viewsonic and it made the Viewsonic look horrible by comparison.

Just saw a Toshiba listed for $1099 at Amazon. I'm not sure where Toshiba falls in the grand scheme of things, but when I see thim in stores they look pretty decent in the PQ dept.
http://edealinfo.pgpartner.com/sear...850/fd=1/sort_type=bottomline/st=sort/qlty=n/

Looks like this model sells for double at comp usa. Worth a look I suppose.

Edit: I just checked out some reviews. It seems to stack up well. List price being $2600 it must be a higher end Toshiba. I'd be inclined to find out more about this one.

I really likd the Panasonic Plasmas and if I ever get the opportunity to buy a new display that will be where I start looking.

I used to prefer Sony sets, but now my preference is Panny for Plasma and Samsung for LCD.

With the latest firmware updates from Samsung, I feel their sets are top of the LED/LCD market.

I would still pick plasma over LCD, but if you HAVE to go with LCD I would strongly look at the newer Sammys.

D

The Samsung LN46C750 gets good reviews - about $1000 online.

Unless your viewing room is extremely bright, I'd suggest you look at Panasonic plasmas also. I have 2 of them and they're easily bright enough with a moderate amount of light in the room - daylight or table lamps. And I'm running them with moderate levels of contrast, color & brightness, too.

Considering your viewing distance, you might want to look at a 50" set unless you're really restricted by space available.

Orbison said:
The Samsung LN46C750 gets good reviews - about $1000 online.

Unless your viewing room is extremely bright, I'd suggest you look at Panasonic plasmas also. I have 2 of them and they're easily bright enough with a moderate amount of light in the room - daylight or table lamps. And I'm running them with moderate levels of contrast, color & brightness, too.

Considering your viewing distance, you might want to look at a 50" set unless you're really restricted by space available.

That looks like a really nice set and going for $989 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46C...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303404685&sr=1-1

And I have gotten 3 flat panel sets from Amazon and they have great service/delivery.

At a viewing distance of 11 - 12', 46", save yourself a bunch of cash and opt for 720p. Your eyes will never distinquish the difference considering the distance and display size.

Rope

BTW, I've never heard anyone say, "wish I had purchased a smaller display.

Rope said:
At a viewing distance of 11 - 12', 46", save yourself a bunch of cash and opt for 720p. Your eyes will never distinquish the difference considering the distance and display size.

Rope

720p seems to be on the way out and the offerings are not that plentiful anymore.

Not sure about other retailers but Amazon only has 11 sets in the size range at 720P (none from manufacturers I would even consider - RCA, Magnavox, Sharp) while they have 299 at 1080p

mzpro5 said:
Rope said:

Rope

720p seems to be on the way out and the offerings are not that plentiful anymore.

Not sure about other retailers but Amazon only has 11 sets in the size range at 720P (none from manufacturers I would even consider - RCA, Magnavox, Sharp) while they have 299 at 1080p

Ahhh, that may have something to do with saving a bunch of cash. I purchased a 42" Samsung as a Xmas gift for my Mother & Father for $469.00

Rope

Wow, thanks for all of the responses! That Samsung 750 model looks very nice and within our price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46C750- ... 685&sr=1-1

We could pick up a BluRay player at the same time instead of waiting.

I'm noticing with Samsung LCD models that they either start with LN or UN, does anyone know the difference?

I would love to move up to a 50" size, but it seems to be a pretty big price increase. A 55" would be too much for our room. Though the wife did say last night when I mentioned a 46" that her father has a 47" TV and we should get one that is bigger than his. :banana-rock:

Thanks for the link Rope. There is some good information over there. Based off what I read there and here the 750 mentioned above is a good candidate.

May go ahead and pull the trigger since Amazon adjusts their prices often and I would hate for the price to jump back up to ~$1200-1400.

Since you already know your room has challenging lighting (saying you should get an LCD) I'd visit a showroom and see what a difference a matte vs. glossy screen makes. I thought the Samsungs had an outstanding picture (they do) but then a good salesman showed me how the matte screen on some TVs killed the reflections so well; I ended up buying an LG with a matte screen and still couldn't be happier.

P.S., my matte screen bias was only strengthened when I got a MacBook Air, which only comes with a glossy screen. I don't like it at all.

I just bought a Panasonic 50" S30 model. Even with all the lights on (making it very bright in the room) the picture still looks good. Turn off the lights and it's a great picture. Cost me just a little under $1100 from Sears.

Back