• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV advice wanted.

Razz

A friend of mine wants me to pick out a 55-60 inch TV for her, she wants very good to best quality. I think an LCD would be best for her and her room. It should be a 3D ready TV.

I'm not up to par on what is out there lately.

Opinions?

her room is very well lit, she doesn't do any movie watching, she says she likes the "bright" TVs, and she is planning to do a lot of gaming on it.

She is also the type that would start a video game and leave it on as she would come home and keep playing it....

Sounds like she will be happy with an LCD. She doesnt do any critical viewing and she likes bright displays in a well lit room.

If I were in the market i would buy a plasma, but alas I am broke and still have that damned fireplace right smack dab in the middle of where my primary set is.

I don't know much about them, but all of those LED TV's I see in the store look mighty bright.

I have the Samsung UNC558000.

I can't say enough good things about it.

After the latest software update and 10 minutes of minor calibration settings it will rival most plasmas. The only major drawback of the lower prices edge lit sets vs. the back lit sets is the off-axis viewing angle is greatly reduced. But this would only affect someone with an awfully wide living room.

As -B- stated, out of the box they are bright and look bizarre, this is something you can fix easily.

The Sony HX series have come down in price quite a bit (a 55" can be found for arounf $1200 or less!). The Sony was a consideration for me when picking a set, but after viewing the Sony and the Samsung side by side, I chose the Samsung. If your friend isn't a critical viewr then the Sony would probably be fine.

LED LCD sets will need to be put into GAME mode. There is just too much processing going on and any game where LAG is a factor will be obvious with ANY LED set.

D

I have an LG LED local-dimming TV, one year old, 47" that I paid $1,400 for, absolutely love it. It is NOT 3D, but I'm sure they have them now.
One thing the salesman pointed out to me, that none of the HT magazines do, is that my LG has a matte screen; a lot of TVs have completely glossy glass. I believe plasmas all have matte screens, but so do some LCD/LEDs, if you look.
Just something to be aware of.

-B- said:
I don't know much about them, but all of those LED TV's I see in the store look mighty bright.

Flat panels displayed in retail outlets are all set to torch mode, in fact, I setup a Samsung plasma Christmas Day, when I powered the display up, there were two options, 1)Show Room Display 2) In Home Use. I wish now I would have chosen the Show Room Display option to see how torched the settings would have been, however, I was uncertain if the option could be over ridden.

Rope

Doghart said:

After the latest software update and 10 minutes of minor calibration settings it will rival most plasmas. The only major drawback of the lower prices edge lit sets vs. the back lit sets is the off-axis viewing angle is greatly reduced. But this would only affect someone with an awfully wide living room.

As -B- stated, out of the box they are bright and look bizarre, this is something you can fix easily.

The Sony HX series have come down in price quite a bit (a 55" can be found for arounf $1200 or less!). The Sony was a consideration for me when picking a set, but after viewing the Sony and the Samsung side by side, I chose the Samsung. If your friend isn't a critical viewr then the Sony would probably be fine.

D

After an extended hunt for a dislay for my Mom and Dad, I have to stand with DH. Samsung makes some pretty darn nice LCD/LED panels. If cost isn't going to be a priority critera, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing a higher model Samsung LCD.

Rope

BTW, if someone attempts to sell you an LCD with LED edge lighting, tell them you already have a bore pig with tits, and ain't much good.

Rope said:
Doghart said:

D

After an extended hunt for a dislay for my Mom and Dad, I have to stand with DH. Samsung makes some pretty darn nice LCD/LED panels. If cost isn't going to be a priority critera, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing a higher model Samsung LCD.

Rope

BTW, if someone attempts to sell you an LCD with LED edge lighting, tell them you already have a bore pig with tits, and ain't much good.

Rope -- The LED sets that are backlit are still in the $4500 - $5K price range, I think those are probably not under consideration.

If you are talking about Edge Lit sets with Local Dimming, then I may see your point. But the set I have is an Edge lit display with local dimming and does considerably better with bright/dark scenes.

One example I can think of off hand is a scene in the film Cast Away. Tom Hanks is sitting in a cave with a fire lighting his face and the bright light of the cave entrance behind him. On my set the scene looks quite normal (not as good as a plasma or CRT), but on a standard LCD or LED/LCD the set cannot re-create the scene properly. Tom's face is washed out and the scene is noticeably incorrect. These scenes are few and far between and it's a comprimise I'm willing to make because of the debacle I went through with my Panasonic VT25.
My Samsung (UNC558000) does not do an excellent job with scenes like this, but it does do better than a standard LED/LCD (Samsung UNC556500).

Doghart said:
Rope -- The LED sets that are backlit are still in the $4500 - $5K price range, I think those are probably not under consideration.
Nope, see my post above. My LG and a Toshiba model (same price but with a glossy screen) were available a year ago for <$1,500.
We're supposed to be having really bad weather this NYE weekend, I'll set up some photographs of the "halos" on my set, and post them here.
EDIT: I re-read Razz' post, he's looking for 55-60", 3D, I don't know if LG or anyone else has filled that void yet. I'll still take some shots this weekend, for shitz-n-giggles.

Doghart said:
Rope said:
Doghart said:

D

Rope

If you are talking about Edge Lit sets with Local Dimming, then I may see your point. But the set I have is an Edge lit display with local dimming and does considerably better with bright/dark scenes.

One example I can think of off hand is a scene in the film Cast Away. Tom Hanks is sitting in a cave with a fire lighting his face and the bright light of the cave entrance behind him. On my set the scene looks quite normal (not as good as a plasma or CRT), but on a standard LCD or LED/LCD the set cannot re-create the scene properly. Tom's face is washed out and the scene is noticeably incorrect. These scenes are few and far between and it's a comprimise I'm willing to make because of the debacle I went through with my Panasonic VT25.
My Samsung (UNC558000) does not do an excellent job with scenes like this, but it does do better than a standard LED/LCD (Samsung UNC556500).

All LED back lit LCD's with local dimming are worth their salt. My comment was referring to LCD's with LED edge lighting, which is all marketing drivel.

Rope

thanks for the input guys, I'm going with her tomorrow to pick something out at BB.

... then helping her set it up, calibrate it, and finally setting up her new Xbox with Kinex.

... I love spending other peoples money!

Back