• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
My son needs some noise cancelling headphones that he can connect to his Samsung Galaxy S cell phone, so he can play his drums while listening to his music on his phone. Understand he doesn't have alot of $$$ & I might have to help him pay for them. We would really like to get them from Amazon. Any suggestions ?

Don't waste you money on those worthless electronic headphones. I've been a victim of those things dozens of times in an attempt to play drums with music.

What works the best, and amazingly so, are IEM earplugs style headphones. They are essentially earplugs with a speaker in them, which makes them perfect for drummers. Get whatever you can afford with good compressed foam or triple flange ear canal tips. My stepson uses an affordable pair of Etymotic Research IEMs with compressed foam tips. I use a set of Shire e5 series IEMs with foam as well. In fact, these are so popular and effective Guitar Center keeps the generic yellow foam tip in packs of 10 pair behind the counter in their pro recording section.

I refer the Shures for their sound quality and comfort but they are a little finicky to get inserted and they are a bit fidgety to remove. That's why my stepson uses the Etymotics, they are much easier to insert and remove. Both kick butt for drummers and work flawlessly.

I agree with Flint. IEM's are much better for the application and foam tips are much easier to get a good fit/seal.

Another option, although more costly, are stage monitors. A neutral, reasonably priced set would set him back $300.00-$400.00. More importantly would be fit and that would require molds prepared by a audiologist.
Clear Tune Monitors

Rope

Thanks my friends. We'll look into those Etymotic's.........

My 2 cents...

I recently spent time up at a noisy cabin. It was fun, but after a while I just wanted to zone out with my own tunes; and I was glad I brought my Etymotic IEMs (ER-6i). I feel somewhat disappointed regarding their sound quality since they lack deep bass, but they did do a pretty good job of blocking out everyone else's partying. It's not that I couldn't still hear other people (somewhat), but it definitely muffled sounds enough to the point where music was easily enjoyed.

I've also found they help when riding in a car to drown out highway noise, but they are no match for if someone turns on the car stereo and has the volume loud.

One thing I don't like about IEMs is that they will inevitably get ear wax on them. And they take a little bit of getting used to as far as being comfortable with having them in your ear canals.

Kazaam said:
My 2 cents...

I recently spent time up at a noisy cabin. It was fun, but after a while I just wanted to zone out with my own tunes; and I was glad I brought my Etymotic IEMs (ER-6i). I feel somewhat disappointed regarding their sound quality since they lack deep bass, but they did do a pretty good job of blocking out everyone else's partying. It's not that I couldn't still hear other people (somewhat), but it definitely muffled sounds enough to the point where music was easily enjoyed.

I've also found they help when riding in a car to drown out highway noise, but they are no match for if someone turns on the car stereo and has the volume loud.

One thing I don't like about IEMs is that they will inevitably get ear wax on them. And they take a little bit of getting used to as far as being comfortable with having them in your ear canals.

When I was shooting clays competitively, I'd wear ear plugs for extended periods of time. At first they were bothersome and I found myself fiddling with them, but after a few weekends they became anonymous. However, some never adapt and cannot stand anything in their ear canals.

Universal IEM's are hit, or miss when fit/comfort is a concern, since everyone's ear canals differ and a good fit/seal is mandatory for good performance. The best result is custom IEM, which require ear mold impressions taken by a audiologist with a bite block. Even then sometimes the fit is uncomfortable and have to be altered with a reshell, or changing shell material from acrylic to silicon.

Rope

Thanks ! He uses a cheap set of IEM's now. I may let him try my PFE 112's.

Just make sure he gets either the compressed foam ear insert tips or the triple flange silicon insert tips. None of the other tips offer effective isolation.

Flint said:
Just make sure he gets either the compressed foam ear insert tips or the triple flange silicon insert tips. None of the other tips offer effective isolation.

Will do my friend.

In fact, the quality and cost of ism is not important. All that you need is a good ear seal with any IEM. I recommend you look at what you could do with his current iems before spending money on new ones. Maybe the ear insert is removable and standard Shure or other Comply ear sleeve insert could work.

Just might do that Flint. That way he can see how they fill & which works the best.

Back