• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

NON- in ceiling speakers in a drop ceiling????

mcad64

In my quest to get back to identical speakers in a 7.1 config I have found some used PSB platinums at a reasonable price. My rears are not currently in the proper position for a 7.1 but they work. I was wondering, could one take a speaker such as the PSB (a bookshelf speaker)and mount it on a downward angle in a drop ceiling. Would it work or would they sound like crap as they are not a dedicated in ceiling speaker. Obviously this isn't a try and see type of proposition, cuz if they don't work I am left with a pair of speakers I don't really need.
Mike
HMMMmmm...wait a second , my wife is always complaining she hates the big floorstanding Monitor 7's upstairs!!! :scared-yipes:

If the speaker baffles are mounted flush with the ceiling surface, IMO they would sound somewhat different from normal because you are in effect increasing the baffle size. However, since the rear channel content in most movies is limited or non existent (according to many forum members), I think it's more a question of what's it worth to you in $ and the work involved to put identical speakers there.

Orbison said:
If the speaker baffles are mounted flush with the ceiling surface, IMO they would sound somewhat different from normal because you are in effect increasing the baffle size. However, since the rear channel content in most movies is limited or non existent (according to many forum members), I think it's more a question of what's it worth to you in $ and the work involved to put identical speakers there.
They wouldn't be flush more like pointing down at a 45 degree angle out of the ceiling, if that makes any sense? As for is it worth it to me...it's the anal retentativeness (is that a word) in me that would like to have identical speakers all around again. Plus, I really like the M2's. I don't just use them for movies. I also listen to music when I am playing pool/pingpong and they are right next to me!! I HATE this hobby!!! :cry:
Mike

I think it would be just fine. Go for it. It hink the M2's are some of the rare speakers that you can get both the cabinet finish and the grill cloth in white. DO IT!!!!

You'll be ok. I used TV wall mounts for my surrounds and the tops of them are pretty close to the ceiling. Due to the layout of my basement, I had to use a ceiling TV mount for my LS speaker. So far, so good everything sounds great.

Back