• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Now it's AC outlets?

Haywood said:
P.T. Barnum was an optimist. This stupid crap is why I refuse to label myself an audiophile. It is mostly emperor's new clothes. Nobody wants to admit that they can't hear the difference for fear of appearing less astute than the guys rambling on about the amazing sense of added space or whatever drivel they are carrying on about that day. I am so sick of this stupid crap that I don't even find it funny anymore. I had some ignorant douche try to sell me a $300 HDMI cable, claiming that it made the most amazing difference in picture and sound quality. Really? It is fucking digital, dumbass. It works or it doesn't. I am so sick of these snake-oil selling shit-bag pig-fucking conmen and the effluent bullshit that flows so effortlessly from their morally bankrupt pie holes. I actually had one of these brazen dipshits try to sell me a high end phone cord to hook up a 56k modem once. I wanted to wrap it around his neck and choke him with it.

Tell us how you really feel, Haywood!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Haywood said:
P.T. Barnum was an optimist. This stupid crap is why I refuse to label myself an audiophile. It is mostly emperor's new clothes. Nobody wants to admit that they can't hear the difference for fear of appearing less astute than the guys rambling on about the amazing sense of added space or whatever drivel they are carrying on about that day. I am so sick of this stupid crap that I don't even find it funny anymore. I had some ignorant douche try to sell me a $300 HDMI cable, claiming that it made the most amazing difference in picture and sound quality. Really? It is fucking digital, dumbass. It works or it doesn't. I am so sick of these snake-oil selling shit-bag pig-fucking conmen and the effluent bullshit that flows so effortlessly from their morally bankrupt pie holes. I actually had one of these brazen dipshits try to sell me a high end phone cord to hook up a 56k modem once. I wanted to wrap it around his neck and choke him with it.

:text-+1: :text-bravo:
Well, lose your fucking mind why don't you. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

DIYer said:
Haywood said:
I had some ignorant douche try to sell me a $300 HDMI cable,

I actually had one of these brazen dipshits try to sell me a high end phone cord to hook up a 56k modem once.
Where did these happen?

The first one happened at an A/V boutique when I dropped by to see if they could send something out for repair.

The second one happened at Best Buy. It was obviously awhile ago, but the song remains the same. Some pimply moron just tried to upsell me from the cheaper (but by no means cheap) Rocketfish TOSLINK cable to the $100 Monster version. He got the, "Its fucking optical, the light gets there or it doesn't." rant.

Don't be too hard on the BB guys. They're just getting the wrong eduction and passing it along to the customers. Plus, I'm going to guess that they get a spiff for selling the upgrade.

If it happens again, ask for the manager and give them shit, they should know better.

Mental note: Don't piss off Haywood, he may get all medieval on your ass.

No, but it is to anyone who's seen Pulp Fiction. ;)

I don't think that any of the guys that have the money to waste on such things, don't realize that they are into something that not even the recording engineers, FOH engineers, or equipment techs. even touch...Do they think that they bring their own outlets and cable elevators on the road with them or what? I suppose if they think a recording sucks everything must've had a bad outlet in the studio.

smgreen20 said:
Placebo effect.

They KNOW there's a change, so there for they "hear" a change.

That and their wallets telling their brain it damn well better hear a difference. :angry-tappingfoot:

Rope

there was a discussion on the length of speaker wires on another forum. One guy said paired speakers need the same length to which I replied no the signal is so fast in most instances it does then I get this:

If one of the wires was way longer the resistance difference could effect the damping factor from the amp and effect the bass tightness

:angry-banghead:

There is some truth to the thing about the difference in cable length, but it has nothing to do with how long it takes the signal to get there and it doesn't come into play unless the difference is HUGE. I'm not an EE guy, but I think it has something to do with resistance or inductance and the impact it has on impedance at the speaker.

mzpro5 said:
there was a discussion on the length of speaker wires on another forum. One guy said paired speakers need the same length to which I replied no the signal is so fast in most instances it does then I get this:

If one of the wires was way longer the resistance difference could effect the damping factor from the amp and effect the bass tightness

:angry-banghead:

Well, he has one speaker cable 3', and the other 300'. The 3' cable is 10AWG, the 300', is 24AWG. :teasing-tease:

I believe the speed of electricity through a copper conductor is 66% the speed of light, therefore, the electrons would be traveling 122,760 (I'd covert this to feet, but I'm too damn'd lazy) miles per second through copper. You'd have to have one hell of an anomally in order for this to be audible.

Rope

Rope said:
Well, he has one speaker cable 3', and the other 300'. The 3' cable is 10AWG, the 300', is 24AWG. :teasing-tease:

I believe the speed of electricity through a copper conductor is 66% the speed of light, therefore, the electrons would be traveling 122,760 (I'd covert this to feet, but I'm too damn'd lazy) miles per second through copper. You'd have to have one hell of an anomally in order for this to be audible.

Rope

Hope you don't mind but I "borrowed" the above example.

If the impact on the voltage is above the threshold of impact (a variable of many measurements), then he is right.

For instance, if the voltage drop from one cable is 0.1dB and the voltage drop for the other cable is over 1dB, then there could be an audible difference. But like other's have alluded to, large gauge wire has voltage drops so low it would take a difference comparable of 1ft to 300ft to make it audible. If the gauge is lower, like 18AWG, and the longest length is 30 feeet, then matching the distance might matter a little sense.

For well designed large gauge wire, inductance and capacitance is too low to matter unless the cable length is well over 100 feet. There are exceptions, the lower the impedance of the speaker, the more signifanct the reactance of the cable is to performance. So, for a 2 ohm speaker, cable lengths matter more than for a 16 ohm speaker. The same thing is true if the amplifier has a high output impedance, like certain tube designs.

In general, the difference in cable length of as much as 50% for larger gauge cables shouldn't matter at all in any way, shape or form.

Back