• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

Correct. The two-pedal Sprint set. Thankfully, Heusinkveld themselves talked me out of the Ultimate+ set.

53431983623_2308737e0a_c.jpg
Nice!! So a clutch comes later ? Or do pretty much drive paddle shifters exclusively?

On the monitor front...first I switched my computers to see if a better computer would run the game smoother. It does. I used to average about 30fps. With the better computer and graphics card I am getting 90fps. I can actually race with 20 AI cars in the field and my computer doesn't shit the bed. Next step, bring a computer with same specs from our condo (where it never gets used) home, wipe it, clean install and then add all my sim stuff. Then revisit the monitor thing again.

Nice!! So a clutch comes later ? Or do pretty much drive paddle shifters exclusively?
I can add one at any time but I'm not sure I ever will. I do use (and prefer to use) paddles to shift but for the few times I actually need a clutch, I use the one on my wheel. There have been a few occasions where I wished I had a shifter but I've set up my rig to be multipurpose. I can drive in it, I can play FPS games in it, and I can generally surf and YouTube in it. My point is, my mouse shelf is where the shifter would go. If I move the mouse shelf to install a shifter, I wouldn't be able to do the latter two things so it's a compromise I've made.

All that said, if I've learned anything in my two-year sim racing journey, it's "never say never". In the past, I've said that I wouldn't buy a Fanatec Formula wheel and DD1 base. I've said that I wouldn't buy an aluminum profile cockpit. I've said that I wouldn't buy Heusinkveld pedals. I own all those things now. So don't be surprised if I buy a clutch and a shifter next week because I won't be.

On the monitor front...first I switched my computers to see if a better computer would run the game smoother. It does. I used to average about 30fps. With the better computer and graphics card I am getting 90fps. I can actually race with 20 AI cars in the field and my computer doesn't shit the bed. Next step, bring a computer with same specs from our condo (where it never gets used) home, wipe it, clean install and then add all my sim stuff. Then revisit the monitor thing again.
I lead to believe that sim racing, especially with AI cars, tends to be more limited by CPU than GPU bottlenecks.

I've seen the future of sim racing and it's VR....sort of..maybe?!!! Just for shits and giggles and proof of concept we hooked my son's Oculus(Meta) Quest 2 up to my sim racing computer to see if it could run it. It did..sort of. First off, this quest is very finicky about what usb c cable you use. For some reason, known only to my son, he could not find the cable it came with. Tried every usb c cable we owned. No joy in Mudville. So we went wireless...problem is, we are in the boonies for wifi where my sim rig is set up. But it worked. Second problem...again known only to my son, he has misplaced the adapter used for those who where glasses. So I faked it. It was blurry and I had to hold my head in an awkward position to get some semblance of clarity. BUT...som bitch is that wild!! I can't comment on resolution cause without my glasses..well it was blurry. BUT the imersion factor is pretty damn cool. Going to buy a proper usb c cable to avoid wireless problem and a spectacle adapter. Will report back later.
Mike
PS: I was using Assetto Corsa driving a Mazda Miata at Mosport. Will be interesting trying an F1 car at Spa.
PSS: I suspect my old vestibular system will not be able to handle it and it will nauseate me!!

It's not about a racing sim, but there's a thread over on macrumors.com that's just exploding. Just in time for the (delayed) release of the Apple Vision Pro, a company has updated its 14-yr-old iPhone game "Fruit Ninja", where you'll be able to chop fruit with your hands on your $4,000 AVP!
OBOYOBOYOBOYOBOYOBOY I can hardly wait!!! [/sarcasm] :p

The future of sim racing is NOT VR...at least for me. Even with glasses spacer,it just wasn't clear enough for me. But even semi-blurry is was very immersive. HOWEVER... I brought my other computer home hooked it up and for shits and giggles hooked up two other monitors I had lying around and voila..3 monitor setup. Uber rudimentary...32 inch Panasonic tv in middle and two 24 inch Acer monitors on the side. Even with this crap setup I could see that the driving experience was way better. I think my current computer could drive three 27s so I am constantly scanning for sales.
I have been doing a lot of reading about upgrade path. Many in the sim community talk about a rig first. I have been looking at the 6S-80 from 6 Sigma sim racing. I guess I didn't realize they don't come with seats. Two questions about seats. Recliner or rigid, and do most of these rigs have the ability to move seats fore and aft?
I have also been looking at DD motors and have pretty much settled on the Simagic Alpha Mini. Seems to get overall good reviews and I can get it locally as well as the rig. Just waiting for possible sales? Whatever I buy my son will rat me out to my wife...little bastard.

I have a TrackRacer TR80 with the TrakRacer Rally style non-reclining seat. The kit came with a seat slider and bracket to tilt the seat. If I had it all to do over again I'd still go with a rigid seat.

My monitor stand is attached to the chassis which IS something I'd do differently if I could.

As for wheel bases ... I have the Fanatec DD1 and have never had any issues it. It suits my needs and I can't see any reason to change other than NOT wanting to use an adapter with a nicer wheel. That's said Fanatec has had some logistical and communication shortcomings of late so I'm not necessarily recommending them based on that.

If I were building from scratch today I'd get the SimUcube base and GSI wheel combo from MicroCenter.

Recliner or rigid, and do most of these rigs have the ability to move seats fore and aft?
Another vote for rigid. Seat sliders can be had for about $75 USD.

Another option I see frequently is people scouting junk yards for seats. Lots of money to be saved going that route. However, on the immersion front, if you want to feel like you're tucked into a race car seat, you can't beat a rigid sim seat.

Speaking of GSI wheels...someone we know splurged big time! Ordered January 4th, delivered February 2nd.

This thing really is all that and a bag of chips.

53505150858_b3f6f5c39d_b.jpg
Daaaaaaaaaamn

Let's see a shot of it all hooked up and working!

Oh .... that's right ... nevermind

Speaking of GSI wheels...someone we know splurged big time! Ordered January 4th, delivered February 2nd.

This thing really is all that and a bag of chips.

53505150858_b3f6f5c39d_b.jpg
Very nice!!
In the words of Fat Bastard "Dead Sexy"!!

Another vote for rigid. Seat sliders can be had for about $75 USD.

Another option I see frequently is people scouting junk yards for seats. Lots of money to be saved going that route. However, on the immersion front, if you want to feel like you're tucked into a race car seat, you can't beat a rigid sim seat.
If I told my wife that my son and I were going to a junk yard to look for a car seat to put in my sim rig she would say " Ok, well don't come back then!!" :confounded:

i dont see where the horn is.
<- Horn off............................................................................................................................................................ Horn on ->
53513441687_33d2e1a1f3_c.jpg

nice! i was also just kidding. unless there is an aahhh rooo gah button that would be gold.

cool tho, very very cool.

Back