• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oh no, a new HP arrived today

I haven't been following headphone developments for a while. What is that monstrosity? ;)

Wait... Didn't you say recently that you were satisfied with the cans you had and didn't think you'd be buying anything for a while?

Towen7 said:
Wait... Didn't you say recently that you were satisfied with the cans you had and didn't think you'd be buying anything for a while?

..who...what?? :teasing-tease:

Hey, can't a guy get an impulse buy once in a while?

An intervention may be in order. That wad no impulse.

Congrats on the new toy though!

PaulyT said:
I haven't been following headphone developments for a while. What is that monstrosity? ;)

OK, here's my story. You can believe what you want.

...no, these cans have been around for a couple years. They are the Sony MDR-XB700. A link to HeadRoom who sells them for $130...I bought mine at B&H Photo for $80.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/son ... 0.php#tabs

I had read about how much bass these things have but compared to my (sold) JVC DX1000, they have less deep bass but not by far...and for 1/9 the price.The JVC even by memory have quite a bit more slam than the Sony. They are less refined as well but I really didn't expect much for $80. I had expected to want to sell them but damn! These things ain't bad fresh from the box...I just plugged them in 4 hours ago. They don't have any glaring faults. They handled boosted bass centered at 28 Hz, + 6 dB,3/2 OCT via my Behringer 2496(PEQ)...and then topped off with my Aphex 204 processor's "Big Bottom" where I have 40 Hz. active with just a touch of "Drive" with 50% mix(yeah, I know, your thinking WTF?). My Beyerdynamic T1 drivers didn't handle this torture(oops!). I also compared them (bass-wise) to the other can in that pic(Senn HD-25). No contest.

I gotta have a HP that I can't give a fuck about destroying.

Have you completely given up on the HD650's?

Honestly, since I got mine I havent even bothered with any other can. :)

Dane -

I'm stinkin' up your thread. I'll move the post regarding the Denon's to their own thread. My apologies.

Rope

walls said:
Have you completely given up on the HD650's?

Honestly, since I got mine I havent even bothered with any other can. :)

I never really "gave up" on them. My pair had been used so much in the 2+ years that I owned them that the headband broke. I never stretched them, it was simply due to extensive use. I did a primitive repair and they sounded the same but my curiosity forced me to sell them and move on to other options. There was nothing about them that I didn't like and all genres "worked" with the HD 650 for me which is not an easy task I've discovered.

I wish I had a new pair now to enjoy, not to say that they outrank my T1. I could be happy with just the HD650 forever if I had never moved on. If you like them as much as it seems to me, then there really is no need to try any other HP.

There are other more expensive ( and even less expensive) HP's that do some things better but unless you manage to get to a meet or are lucky enough to have a shop nearby that carries a wide range, you may never know what you're missing...or not. It's a dangerous game, this audio thing. :music-listening:

Rope said:
Dane -

I'm stinkin' up your thread. I'll move the post regarding the Denon's to their own thread. My apologies.

Rope

Hey, no sweat. I never got to see your stink. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Back