• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Old RCA Cable Colour Code

Lone Stranger

I did a Google search for my quest but found nothing. My housemate has an old Garrard turntable that I am hooking up to my Yamaha stereo receiver. The RCA cables are grey and brown. Does anybody know what cable is left or right? No reds or whites on that particular turntable.

Lone Stranger said:
I did a Google search for my quest but found nothing. My housemate has an old Garrard turntable that I am hooking up to my Yamaha stereo receiver. The RCA cables are grey and brown. Does anybody know what cable is left or right? No reds or whites on that particular turntable.
Wow, never heard of grey/brown. Do you listen to classical? If so, the violins should be on the left and the basses on the right. For pop music, it probably doesn't matter (or you could confirm proper orientation with headphones...)

Lone Stranger said:

Try this LINKY

Rope

If they are like any other RCA cable, colors won't matter. The trick is not to cross-wire them (L to R or R to L).

Yesfan70 said:
If they are like any other RCA cable, colors won't matter. The trick is not to cross-wire them (L to R or R to L).
The cables are hard-wired into the turntable so in this case it would make a difference. I'll have to look through mine and my house mate's LP collection to see if there is a good reference recording to sound test it with.

Lone Stranger said:
Yesfan70 said:
The cables are hard-wired into the turntable so in this case it would make a difference. I'll have to look through mine and my house mate's LP collection to see if there is a good reference recording to sound test it with.

Hard wired? Ooo I didn't think about that. Assuming it's not labeled on the TT, I'm willing to bet when you're looking at the back of the TT, the cables would be designated "left to right", so which ever color is on the the left side would be the cable for the left channel. Same thing for the right cable.

OK thanks guys for your input. I ended up opening up the bottom of the turntable and traced the connection to the stylus wires. The grey cable is left, brown is right.

Back