• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Older Movies on Blu-Ray

AndySTL

What's the general opinion of people on here of older movies remastered for Blu Ray? Are they even remastered from the original film or just converted from DVD? I was at Best Buy (not sure why) last night and they had a bin of $8 Blu Rays. There were a few movies, like The Fugitive, that I really like and already own on DVD. I'm just wondering if the video quality improvement is worth the hassle. The newer movies they had for $8 all sucked from what I could find.

AndySTL said:
I'm just wondering if the video quality improvement is worth the hassle.
It really depends on the particular movie. Some are outstanding transfers, others are not. I suppose the only way you can gauge it ahead of purchasing is to check out reviews at Blu-ray.com.

I recently bought Point Break. It looks horrible. On the other end of the spectrum is The Rock. That movie looks like it was filmed yesterday on the latest and greatest high def gear.

Zing said:
AndySTL said:
I'm just wondering if the video quality improvement is worth the hassle.
It really depends on the particular movie. Some are outstanding transfers, others are not. I suppose the only way you can gauge it ahead of purchasing is to check out reviews at Blu-ray.com.

I recently bought Point Break. It looks horrible. On the other end of the spectrum is The Rock. That movie looks like it was filmed yesterday on the latest and greatest high def gear.

I had a feeling that was the answer.

I felt like I should have bought some because I only have about 4 BDs. I just find streaming fits our families habits better. I think another factor is the fact that I have an older HDTV. Blu Rays look great, but I always cave for convenience. U-Verse on-demand movies in HD work just fine for me. Maybe I would see a bigger PQ difference if I had a 1080p display.

you can also check on other websites aside from blu-ray.com to see peoples responses to them movie.

personally i have a TON of westerns remastered, and despite reviews on The Sting, i still bought it. yup, got it on dvd, blu-ray, hd-dvd.

sometimes the movies that good to buy again.

one quick note, i always try to see if its streaming or not. if it is, well, then i reconsider.

I would argue that if you upgraded to another 60-inch display, you'd see little to no improvement. For the record, I'm not counting any PQ improvement that a newer TV may have over your current one. I'm speaking strictly in terms of the noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. The only other factor would be your viewing distance. If you sit 7 feet away or closer, you may see an improvement. Anything beyond 7 feet, I highly doubt it.

Zing said:
I would argue that if you upgraded to another 60-inch display, you'd see little to no improvement. For the record, I'm not counting any PQ improvement that a newer TV may have over your current one. I'm speaking strictly in terms of the noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. The only other factor would be your viewing distance. If you sit 7 feet away or closer, you may see an improvement. Anything beyond 7 feet, I highly doubt it.
^^^
THIS!

Rope

You don't think an new plasma or LED would look better than a 6 year old rear projection? Based on what I see in the stores I think there is a difference.

Not that it matters anyway, my wife won't even hear about a new TV right now. We'll be watching this one until it breaks.

AndySTL said:
You don't think an new plasma or LED would look better than a 6 year old rear projection?
Zing said:

Yeah I saw that but I don't see how it applies here. I'm not going to replace my TV with a 5 year old RP unit that is 1080p. KnowwhatImsayin?

LOL I know that. You absolutely will see a difference between a 2006 720p display and a 2012 1080p display, just not any difference between the resolutions.

However, as you said, it's all moot because your wife wears the pants in the fam....um...cuz you value and respect your wife's opinion. Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

AndySTL said:
Maybe I can stage an accident involving one of my son's toys and a cracked screen.

Or just throw a brick into it and say "I don't know what the fuck happened. It was working a minute ago."

Yeah, that's what I would do. :dance:

^^^ If you need any help w/ the details Jeff Mackwood can help you out. Apparently, he's pretty good at getting things which are f' ed up for obvious reasons (say a rental car w/ 4 tires blown out by parking lot spikes) passed inspection by using the "I don't know what happened, the car just wouldn't go after I pulled into the parking lot," statement. Real-world experience is hard to beat.

John

Back