• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OMG.... Where did my CONTRAST go????

Razz

So I have a Pioneer PDP-5080. In case you don't know, it's an amazing plasma TV. Truly outstanding.

I bought it in 2008, but over the last 3 weeks or so I kept thinking.... "I think my TV looks a little dark, maybe it's just the movies I'm watching..., I'll get to it later". I even tried just bumping up the "brightness" a few times but that became irritating and didn't help.

Tonight, I put in a movie and said....... HELL NO!!!

I put in my calibration DVD and to my surprise...... my contrast was WAY off.

The contrast level varies on many online forums, but averages around 33 in a scale from 0-60. I have had it at 33 for a year now. However, after running my tests, I found the correct contrast level to be 58!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is OBVIOUSLY a problem here.

I'm disgusted to see such a change in my displays output but also wonder how I'm now going to replace such a beautiful TV. I bought a warranty for it (usually I don't but will think about this from here on out) but the warranty just simply states.... "plasma TV $2,000 -$2,500" No offense but there is a big difference between a Sony and Pioneer Plasma TV, I don't care what the price is. But now that Pioneer no longer makes plasma TVs, I'm scared about how they will "fix" the problem of a burned out Pioneer plasma TV. To me, replacing it with a new LG or Sony plasma is not the same, nor is replacing it with ANY LCD.

My TV looks pretty darn good again now that I've turned the contrast up to almost the max, but still doesn't look exactly the same, (imagine that). Anyone had something like this happen to them in the past?

Any suggestions about the warranty before I make a move????

BTW, I bought the TV at BB. I still have 16 months to go on my warranty and I think i can hold off a bit more.

Maybe BB would replace it with Panasonic.......just a thought.

Since you have 16 months left on the warranty, I'd wait at least until next fall when the new models come out (unless it craps out before then). Contact BB or whoever handles warranty repairs to find out under what conditions the set would be repaired or replaced. Probably will require a tech person to look at the set & determine the problem. If it looks "pretty darn good" now, it may not qualify yet for replacement. If or when it does need to be replaced I'd look at higher-end Panasonic or Samsung sets. Granted, the Pioneers are very good, but the better models in these other 2 brands are very close to Pioneer in PQ according to the reviews I've read. I'd definitely look for an authorized Pioneer service center as opposed to BB if you have that option.

Barney said:
Maybe BB would replace it with Panasonic.......just a thought.

It was reported earlier this year that Panasonic sets had issues with decreasing black levels. I'd look into that.

That sucks, hope you can find a satisfactory resolution... :(

The latest Panasonics and Samsungs have images that match and in some cases beat out the older Pioneer Plasmas. You have to remember that when Pioneer no longer made all those Plasmas, Panasonic but up all their plasma technology plans and hired most Pioneer staff in that division, while Samsung just stole the technology and implemented it in their TV's :eusa-whistle:

Have you just tried turning down the contrast to the level you like and juct check it weekly to see if it's doing that sliding scale kinda thing, or does it do it immediatly. Bummer but check arond, you may be able to get a spanking brand new TV that may beat out the Pioneers now outdated technology. Keep the glass half full my friend.

Matt,
I appreciate the words but I've got to disagree with you. Pioneer Kuro plasmas are not "outdated technology". They just aren't made anymore. The Kuro line is gone but still top dog in the plasma world in my opinion. Panasonic and Samsung have certainly caught up but not sure about surpassing it yet...yet.

I turned down the contrast as much as I saw fit but that leaves it at 56. So it's good for now but I can see where this is going...

Please don't tell Panasonic that Pioneers plasma technology is out dated, they paid millions for it.

Rope

Hey Rope,
Does this thread make the hairs on the back of ur neck stand up at all?

Hmmm... Can you absolutely confirm nothing else changed?

My Kuro still looks like a million bucks after 18 months of use.

Razz said:
Hey Rope,
Does this thread make the hairs on the back of ur neck stand up at all?

No, not really. There has to be a good explination to your problem, plus I haven't heard of anyone else having the issue you're describing.

If you'd like I can help you access the 5080's service menu?

Rope

No I can't confirm anything other than my contract is now very low and needs to be greatly enhanced.

But I can say that there does not seem to be any difference in the contrast when viewing my PS3, Xbox 360, or my Direct TV. Now, I have not tried running these devices DIRECTLY to my Kuro, they all run though my Onkyo SC886.

Other than running them directly into my Kuro, is there a way inside the Onkyo to check?

Rope said:
No, not really. There has to be a good explination to your problem, plus I haven't heard of anyone else having the issue you're describing.

Rope

Yeah Rope,
If you are free and able it would be nice if you could walk me though it. PM me with times you might be free.

That sucks Razz. Hope you can work it out. I'm sure there's a service guy in your area...even if you have to pay.

The Panasonic rumor is partially true, but I've heard from someone close to the company that they are not interested in making another Pioneer type display....no money to be had in it. In this day and age, not many in the marketplace would pay big money for a good 2-D display. Now, the push is on 3-D, and that's where Panasonic is focused.

There will never be another Kuro, I'm afraid. However, all other Plasmas have closed the gap considerably while keeping costs low. So, there's close to Kuro for much less money. LG has made HUGE strides in picture quality and they are the real deal. Still slightly inferior picture to Panasonic's top end, but MUCH less cost. Samsung has a decent product as well, but a slew of QC issues hurt them somewhat.

So, fix that Kuro Razz....it'll be worth it. Have you checked over at AVS forums? They have dedicated threads to your particular display. Someone may know what's going on with it (service guys are over there all the time).

Razz your post is exactly why I refuse to give up my Pioneer Elite RPTV. Yeah it's big and bulky but man when watching broadcast HD content on that set it beats out my plasma.

Razz said:
No I can't confirm anything other than my contract is now very low and needs to be greatly enhanced.

But I can say that there does not seem to be any difference in the contrast when viewing my PS3, Xbox 360, or my Direct TV. Now, I have not tried running these devices DIRECTLY to my Kuro, they all run though my Onkyo SC886.

Other than running them directly into my Kuro, is there a way inside the Onkyo to check?

Disable the REON video processor in your Onkyo, which brings up the question, have you setup any video processing options in the Onkyo such as contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint...etc.? If so, this could greatly affect the contrast setting on your KURO.

I have the option of making those setting in my Onkyo and Oppo. I leave them at factory default (0) and let my display handle these tasks.

Rope

Razz said:
Rope said:

Rope

Yeah Rope,
If you are free and able it would be nice if you could walk me though it. PM me with times you might be free.

Any time, Razz, however, I'd be careful in the service menu. Unless you know exactly what you're attempting to cure you may cause more problems than you solve. I've been able to adjust some of the green and red push in my display, but without the correct video measuring tools, it's just a guessing game based on other peoples settings.

Rope

"Pioneer PDP-5080HD Service Menu:"

"With the display on Standby, hit "Display" on your remote and wait 3-6 seconds. Then hit Left, Up, Left, Right and Power. What I usually do is press "Display" down and hold it for four seconds, then release it and wait four seconds before hitting Left, Up, Left, Right and Power."

"If you've successfully entered the Service Menu, you will see a red-orange light appear on the bottom right corner of the bezel and some white lettering on the screen appear a few seconds after the display turns on."

"Next, hit "Muting" once. This will bring you to a screen entitled "Panel Factory." Hit Enter and then use the down arrow to scroll through the sub-menus until you see "Panel -2 ADJ (+)." I believe it's five submenus down."

"Then hit Enter and you will see the Red High setting. Use the up and down arrows to switch between each color, and the left and right arrows to change the numerical value. Next after Red High will be Green High, then Blue High, and then the Low settings for Red, Green and Blue."

"When done making your adjustments, hit Enter again (which will bring you out of the sub-menu) and then press the Home Menu to exit the Service Menu."

Rope

I went into my Onkyo today and saw that everything looks .. basically off.

Source Set up:
Pic Adj:
ISF - Through
all settings at 0
Pic mode - auto
all enhancement - off

Hardware Set up:
HDMI:
Audio TV out - off
Lip sync - disable
x.v.color - disable
control - disable

I'm not sure what I will get out of going into those setting in the Pioneer service menu?

Razz said:
I went into my Onkyo today and saw that everything looks .. basically off.

Source Set up:
Pic Adj:
ISF - Through
all settings at 0
Pic mode - auto
all enhancement - off

Hardware Set up:
HDMI:
Audio TV out - off
Lip sync - disable
x.v.color - disable
control - disable

I'm not sure what I will get out of going into those setting in the Pioneer service menu?

Onkyo Setup Menu; Turn off REON processing:

1. Input/Output Assign
1. Monitor Out
Resolution - Through

6. Miscellaneous
OSD
Immediate Display - Off

Rope

Back