• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

One Last Thing

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I just finished watching this hour-long PBS documentary on Steve Jobs; highly recommended. It wasn't a pure fanboi love-fest, they interviewed quite a few folks who couldn't stand him, and showed his vicious side. I didn't realize he had so much to do with modern computer fonts, on all platforms, due to just sitting in on a calligraphy class in college; nor did I realize he travelled to India to study Buhddism (at age 20!).
Two interesting stories: he stole the mouse idea from Zerox, and told his engineers to design one that a) cost less than $15, b) lasted at least two years, and c) had to work on any surface, from Formica to a Levi'd pants leg. The Lead Engineer talked about going to Walgreens and returning with several roll-on deodorant bottles, and a butter dish; that's how the first mouse was designed. A later requirement was going to just one mouse button (part of Steve's zen influence from India) which is one design feature I never agreed with (my last Apple mouse does have several buttons-which-aren't-buttons now, and trackpads make the whole point moot anyway).
One of the first public appearances of the original Macintosh was as a present for Sean Lennon, presented to him by Steve in Yoko Ono's NY apartment. Steve showed Sean how to use MacPaint, in about twenty seconds, and a goofy-looking guy in the background was completely transfixed: Andy Warhol. Steve had to show him how to work the mouse too. Cool stuff!

One thing that really struck me about Steve's life is his response to Failure; he doesn't dwell on it and always jumped back in with renewed vigor. That's something I need to learn; losing my Chief Engineer job two years ago just about killed me, and I need to get out of that mindset.

Anyway, great program. Recommended even for the haters! ;)

Botch said:
I just finished watching this hour-long PBS documentary on Steve Jobs; highly recommended. It wasn't a pure fanboi love-fest, they interviewed quite a few folks who couldn't stand him, and showed his vicious side. I didn't realize he had so much to do with modern computer fonts, on all platforms, due to just sitting in on a calligraphy class in college; nor did I realize he travelled to India to study Buhddism (at age 20!).
Two interesting stories: he stole the mouse idea from Zerox, and told his engineers to design one that a) cost less than $15, b) lasted at least two years, and c) had to work on any surface, from Formica to a Levi'd pants leg. The Lead Engineer talked about going to Walgreens and returning with several roll-on deodorant bottles, and a butter dish; that's how the first mouse was designed. A later requirement was going to just one mouse button (part of Steve's zen influence from India) which is one design feature I never agreed with (my last Apple mouse does have several buttons-which-aren't-buttons now, and trackpads make the whole point moot anyway).
One of the first public appearances of the original Macintosh was as a present for Sean Lennon, presented to him by Steve in Yoko Ono's NY apartment. Steve showed Sean how to use MacPaint, in about twenty seconds, and a goofy-looking guy in the background was completely transfixed: Andy Warhol. Steve had to show him how to work the mouse too. Cool stuff!

One thing that really struck me about Steve's life is his response to Failure; he doesn't dwell on it and always jumped back in with renewed vigor. That's something I need to learn; losing my Chief Engineer job two years ago just about killed me, and I need to get out of that mindset.

Anyway, great program. Recommended even for the haters! ;)

Thanks Botch

I thought I had this set to record but I missed it.

BUT if you have the free PBS app on your iPad you can watch the whole thing on your iPad which I will later tonight.

They said at the end of the program you can get it online at pbs.org, too.

Back