• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

One step closer to mainstream OLED TVs

The DirtMerchant said:
Can someone quickly bullet point the OLED > LCD reasons please?
I think in 2 years, I'll be there too...
- Much closer if not superior to PQ of a plasma (though it will be perceived to be superior anyway because most OLED sets will be 4k)
- Weight
- No off-axis issues
- Better blacks
- Higher contrast
- lower power consumption

Try an iphone 5 and galaxy s5 set next to each other and see for yourself. :) OLED (IMO) is more accurate, has better blacks, doesn't have that plasticky look to large color blocks, is better at low light levels with the screen intensity turned down.

LG is taking orders for 65", 77" 4K OLEDs: http://www.lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/contents/64643

Curved screens, unfortunately. I can't believe the improvement for the guy in the "sweet spot" would outweigh the degradation for anyone off to the side. :snooty: South Korea only so far, will be here soon (no prices given).

EDIT: Gah! My mistake, Flint, the link/set you posted above was 4K, also... :doh:

Saw in the paper today Best Buy had a 55" OLED tv from LG for $3,000, stopped in on my way to the grocery store to take a look.

Dayam! :shock: That picture was beautiful!

There was a Samsung of similar size right next to it, and I took a very close look (with my reading glasses) of both screens, and noticed the pixels much easier on the LG, then noticed it was 1080p, not 4K.
I saw my first 4K set a couple months ago, and it really didn't do anything for me, you had to be right up at the screen to see the difference (for my eyes, anyway). The OLED is a totally different thing, you could see the differences (the blacks, the contrast, and the bright colors) from halfway across the store! The demo video was showing different food preparations, and seeing the individual bubbles in a smoothie, with the intense dark/light reflections in each bubble, was fantastic. I could see no image blur in the picture, one of the few things I could complain about on my current set (a 47" LG LED with local dimming). The screen is curved, which I'm not in favor of, but I noticed LG's sets have a more moderate curve than either the Samsungs or the Sonys. LG is still using a slightly-matte surface on their screens too, they reflected the store ceiling lights a LOT less than the Samsung next to it; this is important in my "living room home theater".
The bezel was about 1/2" wide all around, my current set has a 3" bezel that enlarges to 5" at the bottom; I should be able to go with a 55", or even a 60", TV and not have interference with my center channel speaker (which is wall-mounted).

I'm hoping for (a) more selection, (b) they figure out the curved screens are not a good idea, and (c) the prices come down a bit, soon; when they do, I could see myself getting a new TV within the next year. As I mentioned, 4K just didn't look that impressive to my eyes, but this OLED screen just popped out at me!

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

EDIT: Oh yeah, that damn thing is THIN, too! Had to add a bulge in the back just to make it wide enough to accept connectors!

Just saw a pretty thorough review today:

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

Some interesting points: the color wasn't the most accurate they'd tested, but still the best picture overall they've seen. A scroll wheel on the remote makes perfect sense, hope Harmony picks up on the idea. Thickness over most of the set is only 1/4"!!! And the only flat OLED available in a "normal" size is also by LG, and it's $2,000 more! :think:

Back