• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo 605 HDMI issues

Mannix2106

So my friend, who has the older Onkyo 605, is having HDMI out issues. Last week he said he had a power surge or power loss, I can't remember. Anywho, currently his HDMI out doesn't work.

Everything else works just fine, meaning all the other stuff not hooked up via HDMI works. We tried different HDMI cables to hook it up and that didn't work. We hooked his PS3 up directly via HDMI to the tv and ran an optical to the receiver and got both sound and video.

Is it possible just the HDMI out went bad after the power surge? Is there a way he can fix this or is he just going to lose HD audio until he gets a new receiver?

Stupid Monster Cable surge protector I guess didn't do very well.

Mannix2106 said:
Is it possible just the HDMI out went bad after the power surge? Is there a way he can fix this or is he just going to lose HD audio until he gets a new receiver?

You said the stuff hooked up by non-HDMI works. Do you mean that the component inputs are being upconverted to HDMI and that is working? That would indicate an HDMI input problem not an output problem. Assuming that the HDMI inputs are assignable, check the menu to ensure that they are assigned and that the same input is not assigned to both a component and HDMI input.

Mannix2106 said:

I used to know this guy over at S&V forum that worked at an electronics store and swore that Monster was where it was at! Who was that guy? :think:

Does Monster have a guarantee against fried equipment like APC and some of the others do?

Towen7 said:
Mannix2106 said:

You said the stuff hooked up by non-HDMI works. Do you mean that the component inputs are being upconverted to HDMI and that is working? That would indicate an HDMI input problem not an output problem. Assuming that the HDMI inputs are assignable, check the menu to ensure that they are assigned and that the same input is not assigned to both a component and HDMI input.

I'm sorry. The only thing that was hooked up via HDMI was the PS3. He had his Dish hooked up directly to the TV via component and optical going into the receiver. One thing I did notice that made me think it was the HDMI out was that the receiver was showing "HDMI" on the front of the display, yet the TV was saying "no signal."

Towen7 said:
Mannix2106 said:

I used to know this guy over at S&V forum that worked at an electronics store and swore that Monster was where it was at! Who was that guy? :think:

Hmmm...that's interesting. I knew that guy also. Maybe when that electronic store got closed down he learned that Monster wasn't where it was at ;)

Botch said:
Does Monster have a guarantee against fried equipment like APC and some of the others do?

I checked out Monster's website to see if they did have a warranty on stuff that got fried when plugged into their equipment but didn't find anything. That would be nice if he could get a new receiver on Monster's tab :D

Have you checked the "Monitor Out" settings in Onkyo's menu to ensure that they somehow didn't get switched to the "off" setting?

I'm grasping at straws, but thought I'd mention it because I, too, have an Onkyo 605 and was just doing a quick test. I found that when the HDMI "Monitor Out" is turned OFF, that my receiver still had the HDMI lit up on the front panel even though there was no picture. (Though, audio should still get through.)

To get to the Monitor Out settings without using the display:

Hit Setup > Hit OK for "1. In/Out Assign" > Monitor Out should display (or scroll up/down if not) and press enter/OK > Use the direction pad to scroll left/right so to ensure it displays "HDMI Mntr: Yes".

Kazaam said:
Have you checked the "Monitor Out" settings in Onkyo's menu to ensure that they somehow didn't get switched to the "off" setting?

I'm grasping at straws, but thought I'd mention it because I, too, have an Onkyo 605 and was just doing a quick test. I found that when the HDMI "Monitor Out" is turned OFF, that my receiver still had the HDMI lit up on the front panel even though there was no picture. (Though, audio should still get through.)

To get to the Monitor Out settings without using the display:

Hit Setup > Hit OK for "1. In/Out Assign" > Monitor Out should display (or scroll up/down if not) and press enter/OK > Use the direction pad to scroll left/right so to ensure it displays "HDMI Mntr: Yes".

You are the man Kazaam! Called my buddy and told him what you said here and it works now. PS3 has picture and sound via HDMI. Everything is back the way it was before the surge.

Now he just needs a good surge protector. I'm thinking Tripplite powerbar, the one with 6 plugins. Anybody?

If all you need is surge suppression than any will do. Flint (IG) likes to tell the story about his house getting struck by lightning and everything that was connected to any surge suppressor survived. Being the ankle humping lemming that I am I'm partial to the Tripplite IsoBars because of the noise isolation. They are a little pricey and frankly I don't think I need any noise isolation but I figure it can't hurt.

We were just looking at component style suppressors on Amazon in Maximo's thread. An 8 outlet Tripplite could be found for $130 and an APC for $110.

Towen7 said:
If all you need is surge suppression than any will do. Flint (IG) likes to tell the story about his house getting struck by lightning and everything that was connected to any surge suppressor survived. Being the ankle humping lemming that I am I'm partial to the Tripplite IsoBars because of the noise isolation. They are a little pricey and frankly I don't think I need any noise isolation but I figure it can't hurt.

We were just looking at component style suppressors on Amazon in Maximo's thread. An 8 outlet Tripplite could be found for $130 and an APC for $110.

Ya I was looking at the Tripplite IsoBars. I think all he would need is the 6 outlet. Right now he has everything hooked up to a walmart $2 "surge" protector lol

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It aint exactly sexy but it's protected.

The hdmi failure rate of the 05 series is very common and pretty much anything can cause it to go out, in fact over at AVS there are tons of owners who are having hdmi failures. One of my ports failed had it repaired and six months later it failed again. This is becoming all too common as these receivers age and especially with Onkyo yet my Denon 3808 which I bought the same time as my 805 has given me no issues.

Uh oh , how long til we begin condemning all things Onkyo? :D

Batman said:
Uh oh , how long til we begin condemning all things Onkyo? :D

I'm already on the fence as to whether I'd soon buy another Onkyo again or not. Maybe, maybe not.

It's tempting because of the features-to-price ratio and the often cutting-edge gadgetry included on their more affordable models, but I might could go back to Denon or something else entirely next time. My Onkyo still seems fairly solid, but there are two things that bother me: (1) There was that whole DTS-HD bitstreaming "blast/boom" glitch that happened to some folks, and supposedly some '605s were susceptible to it, too, or so I read. (I updated the DSPs firmware and that supposedly took care of it, but as my BD player doesn't bitstream, I've never had an opportunity to bitstream DTS-HD to test out the fix and so I sometimes worry if the receiver could still someday make my speakers go boom.)

And, (2) my Onkyo 605 always cuts off the first second or two of audio regardless of if the input used is HDMI, optical, coaxial (not sure about analog). Anyway... none of my other receivers ever did that.

But like I said earlier. It otherwise still runs very solidly and sounds good enough for me. I figure if it ever gets upgraded, it will only be because I need more HDMI inputs than the 2 that I currently have.

Kazaam, yes Onkyo took care of the DTS-Bomb with a firmware update. My 805 got it when my version was 1.06 (brand new) then when I sent it to Onkyo they updated the firmware for me (as I had to request this at time of service) and so since I now have ver. 1.08 and I bitstream, I have not gotten the DTS bomb. My big "I hate this friggin Onkyo" is when watching sat TV and the audio switches between DD and stereo for commercials. I get the loud clicking noise in my rear speakers and audio drops for about two seconds while the audio chip reconfigures the proper audio.

I will say that the audio quality and the built in amps in my 805 are still phenominal. I use the intrenal amps to drive my main speakers and have outboard amps driving my center and surrounds. I found through research that the internal amps when driving just two channels put out 181 watts per channel (yes Flint I'm aware they never go that high) and my outboard center is at 200 watts and my surrounds at 105 watts. When I had my GTG we were cranking at 105db with not one hint of distortion. Regularly I listen at about 80-85db.
But if given the choice now to buy something new I would look at the new Denon 3310ci or go with the Emotiva preamp since I have enough amps to drive the speakers. The latest issue of Electronic House has a nice close up of the new Integra and I love the built in wifi it has along with configuring 11.2 channels at the same time or bridging the mains and still getting 9.2 audio.

Back