• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo acknowledges issues.....

Barney, thanks for this info. I have an 809 with this problem. I've read alot about it on the net and learned how to make it work temporarily by warming up the "DTS" chip with a hair dryer, but you have to to it with every power up, and sometimes even when you just switch sources. I haven't heard about any extended warranty until now.

I used your link, verified that my unit is eligible, and they now have a shipping box on the way to me. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Well, I never received my shipping box so I kept checking the status of my repair order on their website. My order was listed there along with all my info, but the status was just blank. So, after a 42 minute phone call they told me that the order had been "input" but was never "processed" for some reason. Anyway, they are now aware and supposedly resolving the problem.

I need to take advantage of this. The only annoying part is that I will then have an extra receiver that I didn't need to buy. That's fine. I'm sure I can find a use for it.

I have an extra older Onkyo that has been flawless for about ten years. Now that this situation has popped up, I'm glad that I held on to it so I can keep my rig running while the newer on is in the shop (hopefully).

Good of Onkyo for doing this. Now if only D&M would do the same for their crappy network cards.

Honestly, I don't want all this network crap built into the receiver. All I really want are four or five HDMI inputs, an optical in, a digital coax in, a set of analog pre-amp outputs, an HDMI output with audio pass-thru, a surround processor and an amplifier. A low-voltage trigger for an external amp is also nice. That's it. I don't want the kitchen sink. If I want internet radio, I'll buy a source component. The net stuff they build into these things nearly always sucks.

I agree. Even when this unit was working properly, I really disliked the network features. I just use a Blu-ray player for that stuff.

^ I think you guys have described the Outlaw 975 Pre/Pro, unless you need the on-board amplification? I have it now for 1.5 yrs, almost flawless...... I bought it after the Onkyo AVR was in the shop twice under warranty. It turned out to be the right solution for our application.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

Haywood said:
Honestly, I don't want all this network crap built into the receiver.
The only reason I use the network feature of the receiver is because I want to listen to my music from the NAS while playing xbox or watching sports.
Only way to do that is if you have to use an analog input or the network to be able to watch a HDMI video source like xbox or cable TV.

Onkyo has made it good for me. They sent me another shipping box and I sent the receiver. It was repaired and returned in about a week. I removed the cover and found that they replaced either the faulty chip, or the entire HDMI board, not sure which. I took advantage of the holiday today and put it back in service. Everything works fine. As far as network stuff goes, I was able to connect to my home network and stream FLAC from my server before it failed, but it would never connect to the internet. Now it connects and does everything properly.

This was all shipped and fixed free of charge and I am very pleased. Thanks again Barny!

Haywood said:
Honestly, I don't want all this network crap built into the receiver. All I really want are four or five HDMI inputs, an optical in, a digital coax in, a set of analog pre-amp outputs, an HDMI output with audio pass-thru, a surround processor and an amplifier. A low-voltage trigger for an external amp is also nice. That's it. I don't want the kitchen sink. If I want internet radio, I'll buy a source component. The net stuff they build into these things nearly always sucks.

My (now aged) Denon 3808CI has some of that first gen network stuff- I could listen to music off a DLNA music server. It worked fine- actually, the UI was pretty darn good. Better than some much more up to date stuff.

But anymore, there's not many devices I really want to use this stuff on. I don't need a half dozen devices in the same room being able to stream Netflix. But if you're going to put it in, make sure it actually, you know, WORKS. Networking has been out for years and years; there's absolutely no excuse to have your network components failing.

Back