• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo PR-SC5508?

rjwood

Has anyone had any experience with this unit? I am debating between this unit or buying the Denon 4311. I understand that the Denon is a receiver and the Onkyo is a pre-pro. However, the Denon 4311 has the option of switching the unit to become a pre-pro when hooked to an external amp. I would love to buy a Krell or Mcintosh pre-pro, but they do not support hdmi 1.4 or have bells and whistles like ipod hook up. If I am wrong, please correct me. Last question, do amps sound different with different pre-pros? Meaning, if I would buy a Krell amp, would it sound or perform better or worse with the above mentioned units? Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

How'd you find us? Just curious. ;)

I'm pretty sure that's the pre-pro that Batman has, hopefully he'll chime in. (A number of us have the older PR-SC885/886, myself included.) No, I think you'd hear very little or no difference between different good quality pre-pros, unless maybe you're using some of the brand-specific listening modes or something. Or if you're using the automatic setups like Audyssey etc. But if you're doing manual setup and "pure" listening modes, I'd venture nobody could tell the difference.

The amp shouldn't alter the sound but if it does, it will alter it in the same manner for any source it's connected to. So there should not be a processor/amp combination that's better than another... Unless the deficiencies in the pre are masked by deficiencies in the amp. in which case, two wrongs don't make a right.

I'll let the others debate whether a pre/pro will sound better than a receiver. My take is that I wouldn't want to spend good money on the amp section of a receiver to NOT use them. If the intention is to use an outboard amp than buy a pre/pro.

I was a member of the other forum since 2002, just don't post a lot. I did ask a question on the other site and was told to come here. I thought the other site seemed a little quite. Glad to find this site.

Towen,

The price of the Onkyo is a little more than the Denon. That is one reason I was considering the Denon. I originally had the PR-SC885, but I recenly sold the unit. I am getting ready to buy a new tv and would like to take advantage of the 3d for games and maybe movies. I also do not want to switch the tv inputs. I prefer to use the pre-pro/reciever as my only source for switching inputs. Thanks

rjwood said:
Has anyone had any experience with this unit? I am debating between this unit or buying the Denon 4311. I understand that the Denon is a receiver and the Onkyo is a pre-pro. However, the Denon 4311 has the option of switching the unit to become a pre-pro when hooked to an external amp. I would love to buy a Krell or Mcintosh pre-pro, but they do not support hdmi 1.4 or have bells and whistles like ipod hook up. If I am wrong, please correct me. Last question, do amps sound different with different pre-pros? Meaning, if I would buy a Krell amp, would it sound or perform better or worse with the above mentioned units? Thanks

Welcome aboard RJ!

If that feature disables the amplifier section of the Denon, it's possibe the noise floor would be comparable to the Onkyo, however, you're spending money on an amplifier section that will never be used. In addition, if you're using all digital connections, the DAC issue does not come into play. I mention this because the Onkyo/Integra pre/pro's, according to some, have a less desirable digital to analog conversion, compared to Anthem, Krell and McIntosh. Then again, the Onkyo/Integra are several thousand dollars less.

I'm not sure, even though the Denon has the "prepro" feature, that you're getting a full fledged prepro with the flick of a switch. That remains to be an issue, in my mind. As they say, you can dress a pig in a tuxedo, but it's still a pig.

Rope

I have the 5507 and to the best of my knowledge the only difference is the 5508 is guaranteed to pass 3D thru HDMI 1.4 making the unit "3D ready" Since it's just a matter of time until I wind up with a 3D JVC projector, I would gladly sell you my 5507 at a price that would smoke all others or get you a great deal on a 5508....Just some food for thought. Contact me or B if you want to possibly pursue this option...

Welcome to the forum, rjwood.

The issues involving the number of functions crammed into one chassis have been talked about here and there a few times. The verdict, as I see it, is that if you have the choice and funds, you would want separate preamp and amp.

I with DIYer and Rope. Besides, it would bug me to no end knowing that my receiver had multiple un-used (but paid for) amps just sitting there.

One other feature that Denon offers is the ability to use the on board amp and also the external amp. I have never bi-amped before, but this would give me that option. I could also use the receiver for additional surround or the additional high front speakers (can't remember what they call that). Again, I had the Onkyo 885, but with things changing all the time I feel like I am always upgrading. My other thought is that with the Denon, if they come out with hdmi 1.5 or 4d :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: I could put the Denon in another room without needing another amp. However, I do not want to buy a unit based on the possible future. Just sharing my thoughts and I do appreciate everyones opinions.

You will not gain anything from passive bi-amping.

If you want the Denon, pull the trigger! Just bear in mind, if the prepro feature offered does not turn off the amp section and by-pass it all together, then the noise floor will not be as low as a seperate prepro. Even then, you have all the additional electronics in one chasis.

Rope

With separates, upgrading or updating is easier. Amps don't change as often as preamps do, so it would be more prudent way to go if you like to replace once in a while.

I recently bought the Onkyo TX-NR708 and do not use any of the onboard amplifiers. It was the lowest cost model with Pre-Outs.

So far, so good!

First and foremost: :text-welcomeconfetti: to the fray!!

IMHO, if you're going use something as a Pre/Pro get a Pre/Pro. How does the cost of the Denon receiver compare to the cost of a Denon Pre/Pro?

While the differences are subtle, I don't feel that a receiver will sound the same as a Pre/Pro.

:twocents-mytwocents:

John

Batman said:
I have the 5507 and to the best of my knowledge the only difference is the 5508 is guaranteed to pass 3D thru HDMI 1.4 making the unit "3D ready" Since it's just a matter of time until I wind up with a 3D JVC projector, I would gladly sell you my 5507 at a price that would smoke all others or get you a great deal on a 5508....Just some food for thought. Contact me or B if you want to possibly pursue this option...

Batman,

I can not figure out how to contact you through pm? Thanks

Back