• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo TX-NR809 Audyssey setup question

Doghart

I've had my Onkyo for just over a year now and realized I've never done the FULL Audyssey multi-position setup on it.

I downloaded a PDF that shows all 12 of the mic placements and ran the setup and I am confused by the results.

The receiver sounds amazing now. The sub blends in more and I am impressed... but... Our normal listening level was typically between -38 and -30 Sometimes having to turn some DVDs or BRs up to -25 to get a good listening level. Very similar settings to my previous Denon 5803.

Now, the receiver is LOUD at -50 and we have adjusted our normal listening level to around -60 to -55. This seems extremely unusual. Every receiver I've ever owned, mostly Denons, are basically inaudible at these levels.

I've gone back through the settings, insured my speakers are set properly, made sure the ohm setting is correct and scoured the web for anyone else with this issue... I got nothing.

I just want to make sure I am not going to damage the receiver or my speakers with the current config.

I may do a factory reset and try the setup again.

D

That does seem weird. I'd have guessed that the relative volume would have been lower after the adjustment. That said, I don't think there is any harm at all to the speakers or amps.

Check the speaker volume level calibration in speaker setup/settings. I would dare say the Audyssey program has jacked the volume level settings sky high.

Next check the OSD volume setup/miscellaneous/max volume. Another possibility is the mute level (-30dB) was engaged when the calibration was performed and mute is now off.

Check intellavolume setting.

Rope

DH -

Do the newer Onkyo's let the user see the changes Audyssey has made and possibly adjust those settings?

The 885 pre/pro does not allow for this, but the user is able to manually set levels at all frequencies.

Rope

I bet the receiver's speaker volumes are all set to +xx which is pretty high. You can probably go in and change them so that they are +/- a few dbs centered on zero and everything will be back to normal.

John

So here's what I discovered:

After running Audyssey all of the inputs default to a specific Dolby Digital mode. Once you use the remote to change the setting to THX, DTS, even Dolby... or any other of the presets, there is NO WAY I can find to get the receiver back to that Dolby Digital mode without re-running Audyssey.

Once you change the receiver back to any of the standard modes the volume settings normalize. Unless the receiver flips to PLII when a channel suddenly goes from 5.1 to stereo, then the volume jumps back up and scares the be-jesus out of you.

Not sure if this is a glitch or intended, but I just set all my inputs to THX-Cinema and all is well again.

EDIT: found this and thought it was a fantastic explanation of Audyssey: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159948

D

Strange Doghart cause my Denon 3808 is always in Dolby Digital with PLiix cinema and whatever I'm watching will always continue to be in that setting even commercials when in stereo ( it does show stereo but still in PLiix cinema till the 5.1 DD comes back on) My Denon has a setting called Dialog normal which I think combats the variance in sound levels. In fact it works so well I stopped noticing when the program I'm watching switches between 5.1 and stereo audio. I can't tell the difference.

Back