• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo Upgrades Receiver Line

Towen7

Staff member
:text-link:

Looks interesting.

Shared features include the new Marvell Qdeo 4K video-processing chip, a front-panel USB port that offers a direct digital connection for an iPod or iPhone, along with support for audio playback from USB mass-storage devices.

The receivers also support streaming PC audio and Internet radio from such platforms as Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster, SiriusXM Internet Radio, Slacker, Mediafly and vTuner, and provide compatibility with Windows 7 and DLNA.

Both models can utilize Onkyo's free remote app for iPod, iPhone or iPad to control the receivers, and are compatible with the recently announced UWF-1 wireless USB adapter that provides an IEEE 802.11b/g/n connection to access music on a home network.

Both receivers also include Onkyo's proprietary WRAT (wide range amplifier technology) amplifiers; Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs, which are provided for all channels; and the company's overlaid graphic onscreen display, which allows users to watch a program while operating the menus.

Would the Onkyo TX-NR609 be a good upgrade from my current Integra 5.8? I'm more interested in if it would be much of an audio improvement more than video.

From the specs they are very similiar. I'm just not sure if some of the new Onkyo features, like the Burr Brown DACs, would make it worth the money to upgrade.

Mannix, I seriously doubt you would notice a difference between the two receivers. All DACs today perform virtually identically. The appreciable difference between electronic components is (more often than not) in the analog section of the signal path. If anything your Integra would be a notch above the Onkyo in that regard (remember Integra is Onkyo's "flagship" brand).

John

My 805 has been a trooper, but with things like the ability to stream Pandora etc. I am really considering an upgrade.

Back