• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BDP-80 Discontinued

Towen7

Staff member
Several CE websites are reporting that due to poor sales Oppo is discontinuing the $300 BDP-80. A visit to the Oppo website revealed that the BDP-80 is listed as "sold-out". There is no word on plans to discontinue the $500 BDP-83 or the $900 BDP-83SE.

Rumors are floating that Oppo is at work on a new platform but there will not be a "replacement" for their lower-end player.

With Sony's amazing universal player selling for $200, I can see why the BDP-80 isn't doing well.

Flint said:
With Sony's amazing universal player selling for $200, I can see why the BDP-80 isn't doing well.
I'm not aware of such a thing. Do you have a model number?

According to the review it does do DVD-A, but if that isn't the case, it isn't truly universal.

Still - DVD-A is much more dead than SACD. You can still purchase new releases on SACD.

Just picked the Sony 570 up a couple of weeks ago, and it doesn't mention dvd-a on anything I've read. That doesn't mean it doesn't do it. I'll have to check it out when I get home. For $200, it is a very nice player, with a boost in picture over my other players, and a much nicer gui system.
Rob

I was disappointed to see Secrets post a review with such a glaring mistake. Several S570 owners posted in the comments section that the player does not support DVD-Audio, as is to be expected with Sony (originator of DVD-A's rival, SACD).

gonk said:
I was disappointed to see Secrets post a review with such a glaring mistake. Several S570 owners posted in the comments section that the player does not support DVD-Audio, as is to be expected with Sony (originator of DVD-A's rival, SACD).

Welcome gonk!!

Glad to see you someplace besides the Outlaw Saloon.

mzpro5 said:
Welcome gonk!!

Glad to see you someplace besides the Outlaw Saloon.
Thanks! I've been wandering a bit at several different forums over the last couple years - still checking in at the Saloon regularly, but also hanging around a few other places as well. I heard about this place earlier today and thought I'd take a look...

Discontinued with no replacement? That's too bad about the '80, if true.

At least Denon and Marantz are coming out with fairly affordable BD players that also play SACD/DVD-Audio. Still, $400 and $500 respectively is a lot more than the $280 that the Oppo '80 sold for. I'm sure there will be sale prices, of course, so maybe the price difference between those Denon/Marantz models and the '80 won't be quite as large; but will their quality be able to match what the Oppo provided? I hope so, but I don't know. If not, then it might be worth spending a tad more for the upcoming Oppo '93, assuming that higher-end model has SACD/DVD-Audio?

That said... Despite the potential loss of the '80, I've been quite pleased with the small trickle of 'universal' Blu-Ray players we've seen at half-ways affordable prices. Both SACD and DVD-Audio are pretty much dead and have been for years. Maybe SACD is slightly less-so, but if one acknowledges those recent SHM-SACDs (that will hardly make a dent in overall music sales), then one must also acknowledge the recent Steven Wilson/King Crimson DVD-Audios (which will also make very little impact in overall music sales). In the end, these players probably just exist in an attempt to catch the attention of those of us who managed to collect enough SACD/DVD-Audio titles back in their 'hey day', so to speak.

But regardless... Kudos to all of those who have attempted to keep SACD/DVD-Audio spinning! Be they manufacturers, record labels, or artists.

Back