• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BDP-80

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
So, my waiting has paid off! I've just found - and done a "buy now" on audiogon, guess that's a new thing? - an Oppo 80 for $225, advertised as mint 9/10. Guess this guy didn't realize that these easily go for $350+, at least in some audiogon/ebay listings I've seen in past months. I was thinking about saving up for a 93, but this was such a deal, I couldn't pass it up; would've really been overkill for me anyway. Now we'll see if I can get it to play nice with my Onkyo. ;) Hell even if it doesn't work out for some reason, I can still sell it and break even.

PaulyT said:
I can still sell it and break even.
Not sure about that since you announced it publicly. :teasing-neener:

Congrats and keep us posted.

PS. You suck.

:text-link:

Mainly, no dedicated stereo analog out, and less fancy video upscaler, cosmetic differences in housing and remote.

Is the processor that much better with the 83? The reason why I ask is Oppo 'doesn't recommend' using the 80 with a large screen HT (bottom of the above link, under recommendations). :think:

Yesfan, they both went out of production and used 80 is quite hard to find. Why do you want to know?

Yesfan70 said:
Is the processor that much better with the 83? The reason why I ask is Oppo 'doesn't recommend' using the 80 with a large screen HT (bottom of the above link, under recommendations). :think:

Yeah, I saw that too. My display is only 46" so I'm not worried, and video - especially non-BD - isn't really the primary reason I'm getting this thing anyway. I guess that's just the size limit at which the lesser video processor starts to show more visible artifacts...?

PaulyT said:
I guess that's just the size limit at which the lesser video processor starts to show more visible artifacts...?

I think that's the case. Still a good deal.

YOU SUCK.

I just thought it was odd that a Bluray player would actually not be recommended by it's manufacturer if the consumer had a huge screen in his/her theater. The other thing that makes me wonder is how well DVDs would look as I imagine it would also upconvert through its HDMI outputs.

I think that probably only applies if you're using the scaler? For me, it's just a transport (for BD playback) as my display is 1080p. I don't watch DVD too much, and if I do it's usually older SD content anyway so it wouldn't matter.

PaulyT said:
I think that probably only applies if you're using the scaler? For me, it's just a transport (for BD playback) as my display is 1080p. I don't watch DVD too much, and if I do it's usually older SD content anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I don't meant to come off as knocking your player Pauly. If my previous posts seem to came off that way, then my apologies.

I was just more or less perplexed about that statement on Oppo's sight, so it prompted me to ask some questions.

Yesfan70 said:
I was just more or less perplexed about that statement on Oppo's sight, so it prompted me to ask some questions.
This may be the case of cup half full vs. half empty. I think what Oppo was doing was to promote buying higher up model. It's just my perception.

DIYer said:
Yesfan70 said:
This may be the case of cup half full vs. half empty. I think what Oppo was doing was to promote buying higher up model. It's just my perception.

If so, pretty clever.

Yesfan70 said:
PaulyT said:

I don't meant to come off as knocking your player Pauly. If my previous posts seem to came off that way, then my apologies.

No worries, I wasn't thinking that at all. I'm as curious as you as to the real meaning behind Oppo's statement.

Congrats on the nice find Pauly! My limited experience with Oppo tells me that they are a top-notch company with industry leading support with amazing build quality. I think you'll be pleased with the purchase on many levels, especially for the price...Hopefully it plays nice with your preamp.

DIYer said:
Yesfan70 said:

Or preventing unhappy customer's

Rope

Well... argh... it hasn't actually happened yet. I put in the offer in audiogon, but user has still not responded. :angry-cussingblack: I've mostly given up, though I suppose it's possible it'll still go through eventually, maybe they're on vacation or something like that. My luck with audiogon has not been good the past few times I've tried to use it.

What? You mean you haven't gotten it and not sure you will? Well, then you un-suck for now.
Maybe the seller saw your opening post and decided to withdraw? :(

Dunno. He hasn't officially withdrawn it, either. Just no response at all... Oh well, not a huge deal if I don't get it.

Back