• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo says farewell, WTF?

Wow. I guess there just isn't much of a market for premium disc players anymore. It makes sense, but it is sad. It is the end of an era.

I guess they couldn't handle all the success they had. This is really screwed up since I just bought their Sonica DAC.

I guess they couldn't handle all the success they had. This is really screwed up since I just bought their Sonica DAC.

Assuming “just” means less than 30 days ago... and “screwed up” means you’d rather not own it now ... you’re in luck.

I purchased my OPPO product less than 30 days ago. Am I still able to return it for a refund?

OPPO Digital continues to offer its 30-day Money Back Guarantee for products purchased directly from OPPO Digital within the last 30 days. If you would like to return your product for a refund, please use the following contact form to submit your refund request

They were pretty clear about continued service and support, which just goes to show what a great company they are. This only works because they are only shuttering one division, not disappearing as a company.

I think they were killed off by two things. The first is great, sub-$300 players from companies like Sony and the second is the rapidly shrinking market for disc-based media. I know I buy almost zero discs. As bandwidth increases and 4K streaming quality continues to improve, there is less and less reason to buy physical media, unless you live someplace where you cannot get fast internet service.

I’m half-tempted to grab a player before they’re gone for good.

I was too but had to ask myself... “why”?

There are equally competent players for 1/2 the cost. Even at full retail the Sony that everyone’s raving about is a couple of hundred bucks less and... say what you will about Sony, they’ll still be in the disc player business 30 days from now.

A lot of people believe that you must have a super high quality processor in a player, and analog outputs, in order for it to be even worth considering. That, and a bunch of other features that appealed to a very small subset of player buyers, is what allowed Oppo to sell products that were so relatively high priced. They were admittedly quite good at all that.

But if you already have a processor in a device that happily accepts HDMI, as we've seen with $129 Sony UBP-X800, you don't need all those expensive features. In many ways (like streaming capabilities) the Sony comes out on top, performance-wise.

However niche, Oppo should be applauded for driving the higher end disc spinning market, as they pushed the competition in the lower price brackets to up their game as well. It probably won't matter that they are now leaving, as the entire disc market is likely compressing to near-extinction anyhow. I say "near" as I don't think it will ever disappear completely - at least not while I'm still breathing.

My only beef with Oppo, and what kept me from ever buying from them (except for a used DVD player), was their make-it-in-China approach (for all the reasons I've put forward before.)

HDR is difficult for projectors and to get it right, especially with the way different discs are mastered, is a PITA. Professional calibration, custom gamma curves, and third party devices are some of the options to handle it. Another is the Oppo 203/205. It has the ability to strip out the HDR metadata while keeping the wide color gamut (BT.2020). It's not perfect but it is one of the easier solutions...

Assuming “just” means less than 30 days ago... and “screwed up” means you’d rather not own it now ... you’re in luck.

I purchased my OPPO product less than 30 days ago. Am I still able to return it for a refund?
Its been longer than 30 days, and I bought it highly discounted as a manufacturer accommodation since I work in the industry. It works great, so I would want to keep it even if I could return it. If anything goes wrong short of the firmware messing up, I could probably repair it myself, so I'm not terribly worried about that. For the price, the Sonica DAC is a great value. The engineers here were taken by surprise too since we have used some OPPO stuff on an OEM basis.

HDR is difficult for projectors and to get it right, especially with the way different discs are mastered, is a PITA. Professional calibration, custom gamma curves, and third party devices are some of the options to handle it. Another is the Oppo 203/205. It has the ability to strip out the HDR metadata while keeping the wide color gamut (BT.2020). It's not perfect but it is one of the easier solutions...

At the rate screen sizes are increasing and prices are falling, it might soon be feasible to buy a theater-sized display for similar money to a good projector and screen. I know I would probably take a 120 to 140 inch microLED screen over a projector.

Oppo had a good run. Perhaps we'll see them again in a new product category since the company isn't going away globally.

A lot of people believe that you must have a super high quality processor in a player, and analog outputs, in order for it to be even worth considering. That, and a bunch of other features that appealed to a very small subset of player buyers, is what allowed Oppo to sell products that were so relatively high priced. They were admittedly quite good at all that.

But if you already have a processor in a device that happily accepts HDMI, as we've seen with $129 Sony UBP-X800, you don't need all those expensive features. In many ways (like streaming capabilities) the Sony comes out on top, performance-wise.

However niche, Oppo should be applauded for driving the higher end disc spinning market, as they pushed the competition in the lower price brackets to up their game as well. It probably won't matter that they are now leaving, as the entire disc market is likely compressing to near-extinction anyhow. I say "near" as I don't think it will ever disappear completely - at least not while I'm still breathing.

My only beef with Oppo, and what kept me from ever buying from them (except for a used DVD player), was their make-it-in-China approach (for all the reasons I've put forward before.)
Where do you see the x800 for $129?

Back