• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

oppo

93 also had an update. I had loaded it in the beta version so nothing new on mine.

I can't get the disc-based upgrade to burn and I don't know what's causing the problem. I downloaded it successfully and when I double click on the file, it automatically opens up a Nero burning program. It sees that I have a a CD in the drive but when I click "Burn", it ramps up to 50% complete and hangs there for 3-4 minutes until it ultimately ejects the disc and says the burn was unsuccessful.

:angry-cussingblack:

Zing said:
I can't get the disc-based upgrade to burn and I don't know what's causing the problem. I downloaded it successfully and when I double click on the file, it automatically opens up a Nero burning program. It sees that I have a a CD in the drive but when I click "Burn", it ramps up to 50% complete and hangs there for 3-4 minutes until it ultimately ejects the disc and says the burn was unsuccessful.

:angry-cussingblack:

I have always used a thumbdrive for upgrades but now with the 93 I can do them via wireless internet.

What model do you have again? Have you tried using a thumbdrive?

I am sure you checked but did you read this?

General instructions on working with ISO image files

Note: These are general instructions on how to burn the firmware CD with common CD burning software. Please consult your CD burning software's help/instruction manual for more detail.

In Nero Burning Rom version 6 or above , go to the 'Recorder > Burn Image' menu and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Nero Burning ROM version 5 or earlier, just go to Nero Burning ROMs 'File > Burn Image' option and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Nero Express select the option for 'Disc Image or Saved Project' to select the ISO image file you downloaded and burn to CD.
In Easy CD Creator , go to 'File > Record CD from CD Image' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Power2Go , go to 'Burning > Burn Disc Image' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In ImgBurn, go to 'Write image file to disc' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In burnatonce, go to 'File > Load New Image...' and select the ISO image you downloaded. Click the "Write" button to burn the CD.

I always have the Manufacture send me the firmware update (Sony & Oppo). I ran into an issue with doing an update for my Sony Brava LCD...keep getting errors..... Oppo is sending me the "CD"...just like they always have.....
By the way, one day while watching PBS on my Sony by way of OTA, went to kitchen to get a beer, noticed no audio, ran to see what was going on...........a firmware update was going on....PBS "piggiebacks" updates for some manufactures...Sony was one of 'em. Not sure if this is still going on though with PBS.

mzpro5 said:

I have the BDP-83SE. And believe it or not, I do not own a thumbdrive. Perhaps I should.

Yes, I did read that. I have Nero 7 Essentials and cannot find "Burner" or any of its options. However, the stickler may be that I'm using a brand new disc. I thought I read somewhere that I should use a disc with an ISO image already on it. I don't have one but the file I downloaded had it so I thought it would work. Anyway, I got frustrated and confused and just quit rather looking into it further.

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:

I have the BDP-83SE. And believe it or not, I do not own a thumbdrive. Perhaps I should.

Yes, I did read that. I have Nero 7 Essentials and cannot find "Burner" or any of its options. However, the stickler may be that I'm using a brand new disc. I thought I read somewhere that I should use a disc with an ISO image already on it. I don't have one but the file I downloaded had it so I thought it would work. Anyway, I got frustrated and confused and just quit rather looking into it further.

I used an older 512MB thumb drive for my Oppo updates before I got the 93.

Drives of 8 or 16 GB are on Amazon for less than 10 bucks.

Zing, did you contact Oppo & they will send you the update for free? I got my update in about 3 days in the mail.

Barney said:
Zing, did you contact Oppo & they will send you the update for free? I got my update in about 3 days in the mail.
No I didn't. But thanks to mzpro lighting a fire under my ass, I bought a USB thumb drive.

Zing said:
Barney said:
No I didn't. But thanks to mzpro lighting a fire under my ass, I bought a USB thumb drive.

$5.99

bill-murray-you-suck-239x300.jpg

:teasing-tease:

Zing said:
....However, the stickler may be that I'm using a brand new disc. I thought I read somewhere that I should use a disc with an ISO image already on it. I don't have one but the file I downloaded had it so I thought it would work. Anyway, I got frustrated and confused and just quit rather looking into it further.
Just in case anyone else is reading this and wondering what to do, here's the answer:

The file you download for a firmware update is an .iso file. This type of file can be thought of as an "image" of the data on a disc (a CD or DVD) in this case. To use the .iso file, you insert a blank disc into your burner (this MUST be a blank disc of the same type the .iso file has an image of) and use burning software to "Create Disc from Image". Then browse to the downloaded .iso file and choose it. The software will then put a copy of the image stored in the .iso file on the disc. Then insert the disc into the player and update your device.

I assume that they use the .iso file type so they don't have to worry about different operating systems and other variables for writing data to a disc. By doing it this way they know how to make the player handle the disc.

John

Just noticed on the instructions w/CD. After the upgrade process & you have removed the firmware disc, you are to turn on the player, go to setup menu, select device setup, reset factory default to reset player's settinghs. Then enter all your custom settings. Is this really necessary ?

Barney said:
Just noticed on the instructions w/CD. After the upgrade process & you have removed the firmware disc, you are to turn on the player, go to setup menu, select device setup, reset factory default to reset player's settinghs. Then enter all your custom settings. Is this really necessary ?
That instruction is prefaced with "Optional but recommended" so I'm going to say no, it's not "necessary".

Zing said:
Barney said:
That instruction is prefaced with "Optional but recommended" so I'm going to say no, it's not "necessary".

I've never done that and there don't seem to be any problems.

Zing said:
Barney said:
Thanks Zing. The printed instructions didn't have the "Optional but recommended" with that step included with the CD Oppo sent me. I went back to read my email notification from Oppo again...sure enough.....optional

Back