• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Outdoor Audio solutions

mcad64

Tried to search the forums but could not find anything. I recently had a deck redone and they had to remove speakers and speaker wire during demolition. I also cannot put old speaker back on wall as the configuration of the deck changed. So that would mean drilling new holes in the brick. While the speakers sounded fine (Polk Atriums) my implementation was a bit clunky. Speaker wire under deck , into house through pvc pipe already there, above my drop ceiling in basement to an old receiver running my Squeezebox in my utility room.
So, my first world problems.. I had to run downstairs to turn receiver on (I did not leave it on 24/7)and wifi control from the deck was hit or miss!!! I am looking for a more elegant, simple solution, which means I think I am heading toward a portable bluetooth speaker (or two that could be set up in stereo). Control would be from phone over bluetooth or wifi I am guessing.
Just wondering what those of you out there are using out there!!
Mike
PS: If the mods can suggest a better place for this post feel free to move it!!

If you did have wifi control, but it was "hit or miss", would a repeater fix that? (I've never used one)

If you did have wifi control, but it was "hit or miss", would a repeater fix that? (I've never used one)
Come to think of it....not sure I have used it since we got a mesh network. Perhaps, it could be better now wrt wifi. I think one of the other stumbling blocks was the Squeezebox buffering. Still not sure if that is a fault of the squeezebox or something to do with our network? We have Amazon Music now so the squeezebox COULD be taken out of the equation.

I guess what I really want is something my wife can figure out, that doesn't sound like complete crap. Is that possible?

I am in LOVE with the UE Wonderboom 2.
If you were willing to put up with using portable speakers, and having to charge them, than I wouldn't hesitate to go with anything in the UE line-up.

You may also guess that I'll also suggest Sonos options like Move.

I had Flint build me a pretty amazing pair of patio speakers a couple years ago and they sound WAY better than any quasi-outdoor speaker has a right to.

I had Flint build me a pretty amazing pair of patio speakers a couple years ago and they sound WAY better than any quasi-outdoor speaker has a right to.
I know he could make some kick ass speakers. My problem is getting the music source to the speakers, efficiently and simply.

I am in LOVE with the UE Wonderboom 2.
If you were willing to put up with using portable speakers, and having to charge them, than I wouldn't hesitate to go with anything in the UE line-up.

You may also guess that I'll also suggest Sonos options like Move.
My guess is, I am heading in this sort of direction. Just looking through the options. Which has wifi and bluetooth and can be paired in stereo and could be voice controlled. Now would be the time to go to an audio store to listen to some of these things....oh...wait...I can't .....we are still locked down!!!:(

I know he could make some kick ass speakers. My problem is getting the music source to the speakers, efficiently and simply.
Why not just use a little Bluetooth amplifier? That's what I do. They are super small, sound decent and cost under $100. Most also have a line-in. There are a ton of ways to access your music library from your phone or a tablet and it is easy.

Why not just use a little Bluetooth amplifier? That's what I do. They are super small, sound decent and cost under $100. Most also have a line-in. There are a ton of ways to access your music library from your phone or a tablet and it is easy.
Do you keep the amp outside?

Back