• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Outdoor Projector Setup?

AndySTL

I'm curious if anyone on here has any experience setting up an outdoor projector and screen. We have an idea for one of my son's birthday parties this summer to have a drive-in style party where the kids could watch a Disney movie under the stars. Also, I think this would be great for football and baseball games when the weather is pleasant. My budget isn't huge and maybe this isn't feasible without spending too much. I'll break my initial questions down to 2 categories.

Projector
Ideally I'd like to find a pj that could be the springboard for a basement theater when we move into our next house (which will be within the next 2 years). I see alot of business style projectors that seem to have enough lumens and are small enough to be practical for setting up outside. What I don't know is whether these PJs would be acceptable for a basement setup. Many seem to have a native 4:3 aspect ratio but can they be setup for your typical 16:9 display? I looked at the manual online for one Epson model and there was an aspect ratio setting that allowed 16:9 so I think it's possible. Budget for the PJ would be $500 max with a desire to go closer to $400.

Screen
I guess I have fewer questions on the screen as there aren't as many options. I like the size of the Gemmy inflatable screen that is 12 feet and is set a bit higher off the ground. Another option is a 120" screen on a portable metal frame. And the third option is to use a sheet tied to the house. Each have pros and cons so I'd just like to hear some experiences from anyone on here that have used any of these.

It's a fun idea and I hope it works but if it's not practical within my budget then I won't be heartbroken. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

When you say "springboard" do you mean experiment with a front PJ setup to learn the ropes of the ins and outs/pros and cons. Or springboard the projector into a future HT by repurposing this one?

Either way if $500 is your max budget for the projector I'd shop for used with a recently replaced lamp or one with a lot of hours left on it. OR you can beat someone up on their price for a projector that is in need of a lamp. My very limited experience in seeing a boardroom projector in home environment hasn't been great, but factor such as lighting, screen size, and expectation for the $ all factor in. I wouldn't go crazy on the screen for this first go 'round. What about fabricating an inexpensive frame out of 1Xs or 2xs and screwing a white wall panel to it. Like the kind you find in the building materials section of Home Depot or lowes. If you enjoy the experience then splurge a little, if you don't you're not out a bunch of dough. :twocents-mytwocents:

Zing still has his old Epson I believe...no idea what he's looking to get for it.

Batman said:
When you say "springboard" do you mean experiment with a front PJ setup to learn the ropes of the ins and outs/pros and cons. Or springboard the projector into a future HT by repurposing this one?

I'm really talking about both. But I think if I have at least some projector when we move I can get my wife onboard with carving out some dedicated space when we move. Hopefully I could use whatever I have for a while and then make an upgrade when the timing is right.

I have no reservations about used gear. And that's a great idea about shopping units with a lamp missing. There seem to be tons of PJs on ebay and my local craigslist.

I just purchased an 80" tv for my basement theater so I am gonna sell my Z3, it's only 720p but it's quite nice. The bulb still has plenty of time left.

Also have the mount and a 103" DALITE screen to go with it.

I am about 45 minutes from ST Louis on the east side of the rive (ILLINOIS) so you may be able to come check it out.

Would let it all go for cheap.

walls said:
I just purchased an 80" tv for my basement theater so I am gonna sell my Z3, it's only 720p but it's quite nice. The bulb still has plenty of time left.

Also have the mount and a 103" DALITE screen to go with it.

I am about 45 minutes from ST Louis on the east side of the rive (ILLINOIS) so you may be able to come check it out.

Would let it all go for cheap.

What is a Z3? I might be interested.

Sanyo projector, look,it up on projector central it was considered one of the best buys for a long time. You could have my complete setup for just your projector budget.

Oh and new bulbs for this model can be had for as little as $75.

^ this sounds like a great way to do everything you're trying to do Andy!

walls said:
Sanyo projector, look,it up on projector central it was considered one of the best buys for a long time. You could have my complete setup for just your projector budget.

Oh and new bulbs for this model can be had for as little as $75.

Thanks for the offer walls, but I am talking to Zing about his old PJ too and it has double the lumens which appeals to me.

For outdoor use more lumens would be best. Funny though, I used mine on the lowest light setting and it was still brighter then most tv's and on torch mode it was like looking into a cars high beams. Lol.

We used it one Halloween, we ran the last part of the movie Halloween on the garage door over and over. Amazed us just how many people stopped and watched the entire clip as it's at least 20 minutes long.

My first HT projector was a Sanyo Z3. I think it'd be a fantastic choice for the sated purpose.

What he said, lol.

And the extreme zoom and screen shift functions make for VERY easy setup.

Back