• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Outdoor Speaker Recommendations?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Just got my deck painted. I still got to seal the floor, but I'm looking to add some outdoor speakers in the future. I got a catalog from Crutchfield and they do have a special on some Polk outdoor speakers (free Atrium4s with Polk purchase of $499). I'm leaning toward the Klipsch AW-650s to be honest, but I'm not locked on that brand.

My deck is 14x16 and it is covered (though not screened in). I don't know if I want to shoot for an outdoor theater setup or just keep it stereo. A friend of mine is selling his home and may be selling his home theater. I could score on his projector (an InFocus 4805). I don't have to have outdoor surround, but my friend's setup has me thinking about buying the projector and do a makeshift screen for surround on the cheap. The only thing I worry about is bulbs for this projector due to its age and it also lacks HDMI. Then there's the sub, but I have some ideas on that too.

Suggestions?

Dude!

I would love, love, love to setup a semi-portable pj and some speakers in the backyard for dive-in movies and concerts.

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT

I've planned this out 100 times. I wouldn't use it for movies enough to justify spending much on the speakers and i dont think anyone would miss surround sound at at outdoor movie so I'd go with a cheap stereo pair of PA speakers from a pawn shop. I'd put the pj and receiver on a rolling cart and run temporary wiring to the speakers since the main L/R pair for movies wouldn't be where I'd want them for background/party music.

My first outdoor speaker was a Speakercraft. After a couple years of leaving it outside all year round I took it down when we had the deck rebuilt. Took off the cover and saw that the woofer's rubber surround was cracked (it was a single outdoor speaker with dual tweeters). Crap. Took it back to the place I bought it and they sent it in to Speakercraft under warranty. Never heard another word about it - left messages with my B&M (now closed) and Speakercraft, no reply. I now have a Boston Acoustics speaker, purchased from Amazon, that sounds just as good and was less expensive. Oh, and I now take the speaker down every winter...

I planned on mounting the speakers up in the corners of my deck. That way I can just sit outside in the shade and tune the world out while I tuned the music in. I'm also hoping mounting them high, tucked under the eves, would help with the weather (rain, snow, etc.). Instead of bring them in for the winter, I thought about just wrapping them in a insulated tarp of some sort. I don't want to have to screw/unscrew them from their mounts every year if I can help it.

I may hit my bud for his InFocus projector and just do stereo for the time being. The Polk outdoor speaker deal at Crutchfield has me interested. That deal would allow me to do 4 channel surround for the price of two speakers. For the sub, I had a DIY idea, but that may be down the road. I got so many ideas swimming in my head for this one.

I have the Boston Accoustics Voyager 60's, and I love them. I have left them up for almost 12 years and still going strong.

I have the Yamaha that Heeman listed for a year now. They are the smaller version but they sound great for the price.

I looked/listened to the smaller one's and they really didn't have the range that the larger ones did. Even though the smaller ones were more appealing size wise we opted for the larger ones and very happy that we did. A friend of mine has both, the smaller one's on his patio and the larger ones in his palapa. Both sound great!

The larger ones are a great deal for $100!

Yesfan70 said:
heeman said:
...The larger ones are a great deal for $100!

I bought the white ones for $97. Should have them by Saturday. :dance:

I think that you will be impressed with them. The first pair that I bought at BB were $169.

My friend bought his a Fry's a couple year back for like $99.

My second pair that I bought on line 7 yrs ago I paid $88.

Give us feedback on them!

Back