• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Panasonic Plasma Upgrade Time?

heeman

Well-Known Member
Famous
Audio Annex Gang -

I have been a very proud owner of a 42" Panasonic Plasma now since 2006 (paid $1700). This is an EDTV, yes not a HDTV it is only 420p and the picture is really good.

HOWEVER, I have been itching to upgrade and the smart part of me does not beleive in upgrading until it is necessary, like the 42 dies or something (I could pour a beer down the back of it). No we do not need a set in a spare room we have that covered.

We sit approx. 10 feet back from the screen. I see that BB has a couple of Panasonic Models under $1K. The TC-P50C2 ($630) and the TC-P50S2 ($899).

Im a believer that 720 would look just as good as the 1080 (or the difference would be slight).

3 questions:

1. Is upgrading from a 42" to a 50" significant enough from our viewing distance.

2. Should I be looking at other Models.

3. Would you wait for the 42 to die and buy in a couple of years ( I could be dead then also, who knows). :angelic-green:

Oh Yea, one other thing, due to my stereo audio system, I need to have stereo analog outputs from the set to feed my audio system.

This should be a fun one............THANKS!!!! :text-feedback:
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
1. Is upgrading from a 42" to a 50" significant enough from our viewing distance.YES, do it!

2. Should I be looking at other Models.You seem to be happy with Panny, stick with them and with Plasma. The G20 series has been selling out since they stopped making them in December. Great prices on these if you can find them. The GT series and VT series are the top of the line and priced accordingly. The C series is the lowest quality build and the S series is about a half step up from the C series. Look at the S series for affordability, the GT or VT series for quality at a price

3. Would you wait for the 42 to die and buy in a couple of years ( I could be dead then also, who knows).This is definitely a personal judgement call, but I will tell you that if you are sold on plasma, they are getting harder to find. :angelic-green:


Hope this info is helpful, Sears currently has the 58" S series for $1099, and the smaller models at cheaper prices :eusa-whistle:


D

*Edited color to make more legible, Batman :)
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
I can't read what Doghard wrote... pale yellow letters on light grey.. :geek:

Panasonic rated highest in most categories in the last Consumer Reports shootout, FWIW.
Buy yourself the new TV, then donate the old one to a needy family or single mom. You will feel very, very good and can even write it off on your taxes next year.
 

heeman

Well-Known Member
Famous
Great suggestion Botch!

Will run this by my better half when she returns on 2/3.......

Any feedback on my other points/requirements?
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
Du-u-u-ude, she won't be back until 2/3?!?!? You should be upgrading everything! She won't even notice, trust me! ;)
 

Rope

Well-Known Member
Famous
heeman said:
Audio Annex Gang -

I have been a very proud owner of a 42" Panasonic Plasma now since 2006 (paid $1700). This is an EDTV, yes not a HDTV it is only 420p and the picture is really good.

HOWEVER, I have been itching to upgrade and the smart part of me does not beleive in upgrading until it is necessary, like the 42 dies or something (I could pour a beer down the back of it). No we do not need a set in a spare room we have that covered.

We sit approx. 10 feet back from the screen. I see that BB has a couple of Panasonic Models under $1K. The TC-P50C2 ($630) and the TC-P50S2 ($899).

Im a believer that 720 would look just as good as the 1080 (or the difference would be slight).

3 questions:

1. Is upgrading from a 42" to a 50" significant enough from our viewing distance.

2. Should I be looking at other Models.

3. Would you wait for the 42 to die and buy in a couple of years ( I could be dead then also, who knows). :angelic-green:

Oh Yea, one other thing, due to my stereo audio system, I need to have stereo analog outputs from the set to feed my audio system.

This should be a fun one............THANKS!!!! :text-feedback:

1. Yes.

2. No

3. No. You're currently using an enhanced definition display, (480p) they're good, but you're about to double the resolution.

Rope
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
Botch said:
I can't read what Doghard wrote... pale yellow letters on light grey.. :geek:

Whoa.... what.... hahaha.... I uses a black background so didn't think about that....
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
I figured that's what happened. Wow, I can't read anything on a black background anymore (gotta love 50) in fact had to cancel two magazine subscriptions because they do that often.
 

Rope

Well-Known Member
Famous
Botch said:
I can't read what Doghard wrote... pale yellow letters on light grey.. :geek:

Panasonic rated highest in most categories in the last Consumer Reports shootout, FWIW.
Buy yourself the new TV, then donate the old one to a needy family or single mom. You will feel very, very good and can even write it off on your taxes next year.

Hold you mouse pointer over the green text and highlight as if you intended to copy and paste.

Rope
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
Rope said:
Botch said:
I can't read what Doghard wrote... pale yellow letters on light grey.. :geek:

Hold you mouse pointer over the green text and highlight as if you intended to copy and paste.

Rope
Shazam! :handgestures-thumbup:

Also just discovered that tipping my laptop forward, so I'm viewing the screen at an angle, works too.
 

Flint

Dog Faced Pony Soldier
Superstar
I Cannot read it either. I don't use high contrast themes, they hurt my eyes.
 

jamhead

Well-Known Member
Rope said:
heeman said:
Audio Annex Gang -

I have been a very proud owner of a 42" Panasonic Plasma now since 2006 (paid $1700). This is an EDTV, yes not a HDTV it is only 420p and the picture is really good.

HOWEVER, I have been itching to upgrade and the smart part of me does not beleive in upgrading until it is necessary, like the 42 dies or something (I could pour a beer down the back of it). No we do not need a set in a spare room we have that covered.

We sit approx. 10 feet back from the screen. I see that BB has a couple of Panasonic Models under $1K. The TC-P50C2 ($630) and the TC-P50S2 ($899).

Im a believer that 720 would look just as good as the 1080 (or the difference would be slight).

3 questions:

1. Is upgrading from a 42" to a 50" significant enough from our viewing distance.

2. Should I be looking at other Models.

3. Would you wait for the 42 to die and buy in a couple of years ( I could be dead then also, who knows). :angelic-green:

Oh Yea, one other thing, due to my stereo audio system, I need to have stereo analog outputs from the set to feed my audio system.

This should be a fun one............THANKS!!!! :text-feedback:

1. Yes.

2. No
3. No. You're currently using an enhanced definition display, (480p) they're good, but you're about to double the resolution.

Rope

Although, Panasonic Plasmas have notorious Black Level rising issues....as they rise within the first 1000hours to double the values reported during "reviews"...which brings black levels to the same (or worse) as LG and Samsung. Also, the G series has "floating blacks" that are worse than other plasmas....if watching a dark scene with light colors somewhere on the screen, you can actually see the black change to a lighter variation...I've witnessed this.

I would give Samsung and LG serious looks as well. The pk550 has been highly rated for bang/buck, and in one calibrator's eyes, was "barely" inferior to the VT25 (3K more $$ for the VT).

I've been looking for awhile, and I'm definitely not sold on Panasonics at this point.
 

Rope

Well-Known Member
Famous
Here's information from Home Theater Magazine Test Bench that may help people concerned about Panasonic's black levels.

While Panasonic admits they have installed a chip, which over time increase the brightness of their displays, the folks at Test Bench measured the over all black levels over a period of time and were unable to detect a measurable difference.

Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20 Plasma

Hope this helps the decision making process.

Rope
 

heeman

Well-Known Member
Famous
Rope said:
Here's information from Home Theater Magazine Test Bench that may help people concerned about Panasonic's black levels.

While Panasonic admits they have installed a chip, which over time increase the brightness of their displays, the folks at Test Bench measured the over all black levels over a period of time and were unable to detect a measurable difference.

Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20 Plasma

Hope this helps the decision making process.

Rope


Thanks for the link Rope.

My 420P blacks are amazing, I would hope that moving to a different set now would end up disapointing. However, if the Picture Quality is very good and you don't have anything next to it in your room that has a better picture, you probably will not care.

Also, programing material has a huge effect on Picture Quality, one again a great set with a shitty signal will give you a poor picture.

My constraint is also the analog audio outputs on the set, I need this feature unless you guys have an alternate method to getting the audio to my analog stereo system.

Once again thanks for everyones help and I will keep you posted on decissions and progress.
 

Rope

Well-Known Member
Famous
heeman said:
Rope said:
Here's information from Home Theater Magazine Test Bench that may help people concerned about Panasonic's black levels.

While Panasonic admits they have installed a chip, which over time increase the brightness of their displays, the folks at Test Bench measured the over all black levels over a period of time and were unable to detect a measurable difference.

Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20 Plasma

Hope this helps the decision making process.

Rope


Thanks for the link Rope.

My 420P blacks are amazing :happy-smileygiantred: , I would hope that moving to a different set now would end up disapointing. However, if the Picture Quality is very good and you don't have anything next to it in your room that has a better picture, you probably will not care.

Also, programing material has a huge effect on Picture Quality, one again a great set with a shitty signal will give you a poor picture.

My constraint is also the analog audio outputs on the set, I need this feature unless you guys have an alternate method to getting the audio to my analog stereo system.

Once again thanks for everyones help and I will keep you posted on decissions and progress.

Ignorance is bliss, and yes, I know the display you're speaking of. I acquired a Panasonic TH-42PWD6UV in 2003, and during that time period it was kicking ass on all the full high definition sets. You will be amazed at the progress high definition manafacturers have made in the past 6 years.

Rope
 

Zing

Retired Admin
Famous
jamhead said:
I've been looking for awhile, and I'm definitely not sold on Panasonics at this point.
I'm in a similar situation. My old 32" Sony Bravia LCD that was our bedroom TV in the old house has been our living room TV since we moved into the new house. While it's only used for casual viewing a couple of times a week, I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade it. Lately though, its size is starting to bother me as is the fact that I seem to be becoming susceptible to its motion blur. And until they come out with 3.6Ghz processing, I'm not convinced anything less will cure it. So I've been considering picking up a plasma set.

I think a 42" will fit the bill nicely and the G25 series from Panasonic has been plummeting lately. I know there is (or at least has been) a surplus of panels lately that's attributing to the declining prices but this particular set seems to be declining faster than any others and that concerns me. So while I care just enough about PQ to rule out the C2 and S2 series, given the limited use this set will see, I really don't want to shell out $1500 or more either. And that puts LCD back on the table.

I'm reading really good things about the HX800 series from Sony and I've been eyeing the 40" model but $1100 is a little steep for something that's likely only going to offer an improvement in size. And that makes me take another look at the Panasonic G25. This time I find it cheaper. And that scares me. So I look at the Sony. And that...you get the idea.
 

mzpro5

Well-Known Member
Famous
I'd give Samsung a serious look. I have 2 Sammy plasma's (one 720p 50" model in the basement and a 1080p model in my living room) and a friend has a 46" LCD. all look great and no problems over the last several years.
 

Zing

Retired Admin
Famous
^ Been down that road. They don't make anything I'm interested in smaller than 50" and that's way too big for my needs.
 
Top