• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Panels are Done....for now.

jamhead

Finished my panels last weekend.

3-4" 703 behind couch
2-2" on first reflection points
1-superchunk bass trap near sub in front right corner.

Overall, 12 2x4" 703 boards used.

Total cost, including fabric, adhesive, primer; paint was about 200 bucks (wood was free from work).

Took time to build because I made visible frames around back panels and also have the side panels visually "floating" off the wall somewhat with dimmable lighting from behind. A little tricky in figuring it out, but I think it looks good.

I'm going to officially take a break and work on outdoor projects now (re-landscaping front yard).

DIYer said:
But not before posting some pics.
No kidding. Until we see these, I call BS! :angry-tappingfoot:

:banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics:

And sound clips, gotta have those to tell if it made a difference.

Hmmm. A bit impatient are we? :D

I’m holding out on posting photos until the room is done, which may be awhile since I still need to buy furniture, a display, and a few other items for “completeness”. It doesn’t look to “cool” right now.

Nonetheless, I’ll begin by saying when I starting thinking about setting up my room, I did what any sane person would do and contacted Mr. Ethan Winer for his opinions. In the process, I was also able to get the opinion of Mr. Carl Tatz, of Carl Tatz Designs. The reason for my adding panels behind the couch is to control the bass as much as possible as the back wall is, in fact, the largest wall in the room and my couch is only 3 feet from it. Acoustically, rotating the room 90 degrees would have been better, but not practical for me. So, I decided to use the absorption on the back with about 12 inches of space between panel frames (to gain some diffusion). The main speakers are far from the side walls (about 5 feet), so early reflections weren’t as critical. Still, tame what I can.

For the sound…I haven’t had a great deal of time to truly listen, and trying to describe what I hear will be difficult. I’ve lived with the speakers in their positions in that room without treatments for about 2 months, so I became familiar with the sound, which was good. Here’s my description after brief listening periods:

First, the bass. The bass sounded louder. This surprised me, as I fully expected the opposite to occur. But, it sounded much different. There is a very defined difference between the bass drum and bass guitar in many recordings now. Also, the bass sounds more solid. As an example, Fleetwood Mac’s “the dance” CD starts out with “The Chain” where Mick’s kick-drum starts. In the past, it sounded full and coming from the front of the room. Now, it sounds very tight (almost like you can hear the drum being hit with a slight decay) and is exactly left of center. Towards the end where John’s classic bass line comes in, it used to be loud and upfront where now it is more laid back, but solid. Hard to describe. You can feel it in your chest at elevated volumes but you cannot hear it. Or at least, hear what I thought was bass before. Supertramp’s School..when the bass comes in…damn, in your face, but not boomy or obnoxious.

By far, biggest difference is in the bass performance.

Second, midrange/treble. Improvements were more subtle, but I’d say definitely more detail can be made out, and imaging has improved as well. You can, without a doubt, hear two guitars playing (one from each channel) during Rusted Root’s “Ecstasy” where I thought it was one guitar before. And each guitar part can clearly be heard. Also, vocals are not as “in your face” as before, where they are more in-line with the music. I played a trick (unknowingly) on my wife as I had forgotten to hook up my center speaker and she asked how I was able to get the vocals to come from it. She even walked up to the speaker saying I had done something different....then I told her to look behind the speaker to see it wasn't hooked up. :happy-smileygiantred:

The treble was great before with these speakers, but the main difference I hear is at elevated volumes...the treble doesn't get louder than the rest (which happened before). Just seems to tame it down so everything sounds "right" when loud.

Imaging/soundstage has improved as well. Now, can hear left, left/center, center, right/center, and right. The sound is outside of the speakers on some recordings. On Tool’s 10,000 days, the thunderstorm comes from behind me. I haven't heard much difference in depth, but may be some of the recording's I've listened to in my limited time.

One last bit of noteworthiness, is that now I can turn it up so much louder and the music remains composed…it doesn’t break down…in that the imaging remains pinpoint, and it actually doesn’t sound loud. It just sounds bigger…nothing dominates as the volume goes up.

Last night I played Handel’s Water Music (Music for the Royal Fireworks) and simply enjoyed.

Big improvement for 200 bucks. Only problem is, it’s like cocaine. I’m already thinking about adding some absorption behind the speakers in the alcoves (mandatory) and some diffusion as well around the room.

I will say that if anyone can add some treatments (I know most here know this), I would do so.

Nice job and nice post Jamhead!!!!

You got me wanting to add more panels to my room.

Now give us some pics!

jamhead said:
Hmmm. A bit impatient are we? :D

I’m holding out on posting photos until the room is done, which may be awhile since I still need to buy furniture, a display, and a few other items for “completeness”. It doesn’t look to “cool” right now.

Nonetheless, I’ll begin by saying when I starting thinking about setting up my room, I did what any sane person would do and contacted Mr. Ethan Winer for his opinions. In the process, I was also able to get the opinion of Mr. Carl Tatz, of Carl Tatz Designs. The reason for my adding panels behind the couch is to control the bass as much as possible as the back wall is, in fact, the largest wall in the room and my couch is only 3 feet from it. Acoustically, rotating the room 90 degrees would have been better, but not practical for me. So, I decided to use the absorption on the back with about 12 inches of space between panel frames (to gain some diffusion). The main speakers are far from the side walls (about 5 feet), so early reflections weren’t as critical. Still, tame what I can.

For the sound…I haven’t had a great deal of time to truly listen, and trying to describe what I hear will be difficult. I’ve lived with the speakers in their positions in that room without treatments for about 2 months, so I became familiar with the sound, which was good. Here’s my description after brief listening periods:

First, the bass. The bass sounded louder. This surprised me, as I fully expected the opposite to occur. But, it sounded much different. There is a very defined difference between the bass drum and bass guitar in many recordings now. Also, the bass sounds more solid. As an example, Fleetwood Mac’s “the dance” CD starts out with “The Chain” where Mick’s kick-drum starts. In the past, it sounded full and coming from the front of the room. Now, it sounds very tight (almost like you can hear the drum being hit with a slight decay) and is exactly left of center. Towards the end where John’s classic bass line comes in, it used to be loud and upfront where now it is more laid back, but solid. Hard to describe. You can feel it in your chest at elevated volumes but you cannot hear it. Or at least, hear what I thought was bass before. Supertramp’s School..when the bass comes in…damn, in your face, but not boomy or obnoxious.

By far, biggest difference is in the bass performance.

Second, midrange/treble. Improvements were more subtle, but I’d say definitely more detail can be made out, and imaging has improved as well. You can, without a doubt, hear two guitars playing (one from each channel) during Rusted Root’s “Ecstasy” where I thought it was one guitar before. And each guitar part can clearly be heard. Also, vocals are not as “in your face” as before, where they are more in-line with the music. I played a trick (unknowingly) on my wife as I had forgotten to hook up my center speaker and she asked how I was able to get the vocals to come from it. She even walked up to the speaker saying I had done something different....then I told her to look behind the speaker to see it wasn't hooked up. :happy-smileygiantred:

The treble was great before with these speakers, but the main difference I hear is at elevated volumes...the treble doesn't get louder than the rest (which happened before). Just seems to tame it down so everything sounds "right" when loud.

Imaging/soundstage has improved as well. Now, can hear left, left/center, center, right/center, and right. The sound is outside of the speakers on some recordings. On Tool’s 10,000 days, the thunderstorm comes from behind me. I haven't heard much difference in depth, but may be some of the recording's I've listened to in my limited time.

One last bit of noteworthiness, is that now I can turn it up so much louder and the music remains composed…it doesn’t break down…in that the imaging remains pinpoint, and it actually doesn’t sound loud. It just sounds bigger…nothing dominates as the volume goes up.

Last night I played Handel’s Water Music (Music for the Royal Fireworks) and simply enjoyed.

Big improvement for 200 bucks. Only problem is, it’s like cocaine. I’m already thinking about adding some absorption behind the speakers in the alcoves (mandatory) and some diffusion as well around the room.

I will say that if anyone can add some treatments (I know most here know this), I would do so.

Yeah, you did a realy crappy job of that! :teasing-tease:

For anyone who has reservations regarding the addition of acoustic treatment to their listening area. Please read Jams post!!

Rope

Great posts, Jam. Your experience with adding acoustic treatments is pretty much the same as mine. I too thought that the bass traps made more of a noticeable difference than the early reflection absorbers. But both did make a difference.

I love the idea of having the panels float off the wall and having some ambient light behind them. Excellent.

You've really got me thinking about getting another box of 703 and going to town on my front wall. Eventually I want to have it just about totally covered with absorption.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks guys. Yeah, in short, it sounds better with them up. I'll take some photos of the side ones Aaron...wasn't difficult to build...just time consuming.

I really am impressed with the difference....and in time, and with more study, I'll do more.

Zing said:
DIYer said:
But not before posting some pics.
No kidding. Until we see these, I call BS! :angry-tappingfoot:

:banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics:

OK.

Panels behind couch:

IMG_0985.jpg

Side panel during day:

IMG_0984.jpg

Side panel at night:

IMG_0977.jpg

Really nice Jammie! You should be proud! Now I have to re-do all mine. :angry-banghead:

Rope

Those panels are awesome Jamhead !! You really did a phenomenal job on those. If I were someone who didn't feel comfortable around tools, I would pay for those in a heartbeat. :eusa-clap:

Batman said:
Those panels are awesome Jamhead !! You really did a phenomenal job on those. If I were someone who didn't feel comfortable around tools, I would pay for those in a heartbeat. :eusa-clap:

You should be really, really comfortable, you are a TOOL! :laughing: :laughing-rolling:

Rope

Rope said:
Batman said:

You should be really, really comfortable, you are a TOOL! :laughing: :laughing-rolling:

Rope
Should I be thanking you? Or doing this :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :laughing-rolling:

Back