• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Panels are Done....for now.

Thanks a lot for the nice comments everyone. The room is coming together, so I am happy with that...

DIYer- A brief description of the side panels. I built a frame using 1x4" pine. The frame was about 3 inches shorter than the panel on all sides. I attached the frame to the wall with a caulking strip behind the frame so that the frame itself was about 1/2" off the wall, but still sealed. Rope light was wrapped around the frame where the caulk strip was and attached to a 3-way lamp table top dimmer, which is touch sensitive. This was simply plugged into an outlet which happened to be behind the panel with the sensor attached to the wall just outside the frame, but covered by the panel. The panel was OC703 with burlap wrapped around it, and I used cardboard on the back to staple the fabric to. We'll see if the fabric will remain tight long term. If not, I'll have to re-wrap and go to plan B (not sure what that is yet).

On the back of the panel, I used Welder compound and glued picture hangers on the back. Then, I hung the panel like a picture. The touch sensor for the lights are behind the panel on the side, so when I turn it on, I simply touch the sensor on the side of the panel. The panel is "floating" off the wall by about 1in or so.

Once I determined where the primary reflection points were..and found they were right on top of outlets (on both sides of the room), I wanted to make use of the outlets and came up with this cheap, simple idea. The time consuming part was getting it all to "fit" together and not be visible.

If the cardboard doesn't work out over the longterm, you could probably continue to use it while applying spray adhesive when re-wrapping and then restaple to hold things in place while the adhesive dries. You can pick up all sorts of spray adhesives at a crafts store ( any A.C. Moores in your area?).

Or better yet replace the cardboard with a thin layer of luan or similar and restaple and I doubt you'd have any issues.

Good idea on the luan. I used 3M adhesive as well as stapling...but I just have concerns about the burlap "loosening" over time.

You mean the whole back of the panel is covered with cardboard? If you have a gap between the back of the 703 and the wall - sounds like you do - then they'll be more effective if the back of the 703 is acoustically open, I think. Or is there a cutout in the center of the cardboard, maybe?

PaulyT said:
You mean the whole back of the panel is covered with cardboard? If you have a gap between the back of the 703 and the wall - sounds like you do - then they'll be more effective if the back of the 703 is acoustically open, I think. Or is there a cutout in the center of the cardboard, maybe?

You are correct - you want to back panel to be open and uninhibited.

PaulyT said:

Yes..sir..eee...bob.

I guess I omitted that....but the back is open except for the cardboard "frame", which is what the fabric is attached to.

Nice job on the panels, particularly the lighting! We've had customers do that before, it works beautifully! Ethan actually did this in his living room (look at the side RFZ Panels at first-reflection points, and the front Corner MondoTraps and TriCorners):

cust_ht5.jpg

I love seeing/reading about the treatment "light bulb" going on for people when they treat their rooms. Well done!

Thanks guys. And here, I thought I was being original.. ;)

I hadn't seen that picture before.....I dig those tricorners.

And welcome JWL!

Back