• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm Studio Question

Re: studio question

lovemytoys said:
i have studiio 20v5 as front what do you think studio10v5 for rears??

Hey Lovemytoys, welcome and we're glad you're here!

Someone else, more familiar with those speakers will come along and help answer your questions. Sunday nights can be a little slow around here. But hang in there, someone always comes along.

I just wanted to say Welcome..... :text-welcomeconfetti:

Dennie

Lot's of great people here. Most have known each other for years and have enjoyed this hobby together. There are people from all walks of life and all are willing to help out when they can. Heck, we've got a "Section" for just about everything. We even got a section to suggest new "sections"! :text-lol:

We don't believe in stupid questions, just stupid people who don't ask questions. So, never hesitate to ask anything and we'll help if we can.

Tell us a little more about your system and the room it will be in?

What receiver/amp are you using? How big is your room? Do you have a Subwoofer? DVD/CD player? Bluray etc...?

The more info you can give us, the better we can help you.

Dennie

it in the country house .12x16 room its in the begin stages .marantz av7005 parsound halo 52.looking into jl212 sub.for now blue ray player is a ps3 lol.46 sony hd and growing

Welcome! Great to have you hear, sit back and enjoy!

lovemytoys said:

To get back to your original question, that would most likely be a very good choice, as the speakers in the same line are (or at least should be IMHO) designed to match well with each other when different models are used together. The main thing you want to look for in surrounds is a reasonably close match in "sound" (timbre, freq response, tone, brighness... insert whatever word(s) you want here), so that if a particular sound - be it an instrument, voice, sound effect, whatever - moves from one channel to another, it doesn't sound obviously different when coming from different speakers.

Just how picky you get on this may depend a lot on what you use the surrounds for. I would opine that it's less critical for movies where most of the surround information is sound effects where the match isn't critical. But if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, it might be more important to get the blend closer.

Hope this makes sense.

lovemytoys said:
Theoretically, the only better match would be another pair of Studio 20's. In real-world practice, I think the Studio 10's will work beautifully!

And above all else...

:text-welcomeconfetti:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Like the other guys said...........the 10's should be fine, however 20's would most likely be better.

That Halo 52 is a nice amp!!

That's what I would do. I think three 20s in the front and a pair of 10s in the back would be a great bang for the buck setup. As what's been said, the only thing better would be another pair of 20s, but even then I question if the added cost would be worth it.

The good thing is, if you still feel you want to upgrade the surrounds to 20s in the future, you can do that and keep the 10s as back surrounds for a 7.1 setup (if you have the room).

PaulyT said:

lovemytoys said:

But if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, it might be more important to get the blend closer.

REALLY agree with PaulyT on this point.

I'm a huge believer in using the same speakers all 'round - and all aligned physically - especially for multi-channel music. The closer you get to this the better. But realities may dictate less.

Jeff

Also there is bass management. If your rears can't support the "lows"......have to say the rears don't really get any lows or LFE very much anyway.. try to get close..but your center carries alot of wide range audio (with movies & multi-channel concerts-bluray etc).
So try to match the front mains as much as possible.
I have 20's v2 matched with some NHT Super Ones as rears & NHT VS 1.4 center i do have an old SVS tube sub that does real well). I like my bass a little "hot". With 2.1 stuff.......I love my crossover at 60Hz..let the 20's sing all they can & they do very well. But for movies (here comes the LFE channel)........I like the crossover at 80Hz..........let the sub do more ...........
You say you are looking at a sub..... you will need great one & I haven't heard the one you are considering.....if you get a chance at your Paradigm dealer...just listen to their 15" servo (or something in that group)...that will give you an idea about clean subs...but you don't have to buy theirs........

JeffMackwood said:
PaulyT said:

lovemytoys said:

But if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, it might be more important to get the blend closer.

I'm a huge believer in using the same speakers all 'round - and all aligned physically - especially for multi-channel music. The closer you get to this the better. But realities may dictate less.

Jeff

The 20s only go 8Hz lower than the 10s and both have 1Hz difference in the low frequency extension (36hz for the 20s, 37Hz for the 10s). The difference in price is $400. Is it worth it?

Unless he listens to a lot of multi-channel music, I don't know if I could justify that difference. If it's a lot of movies and stereo music, I would say save the money and stick with the 10s for the surrounds. This is especially true since he's still adding a bluray player and sub to the mix.

Yesfan70 said:
The 20s only go 8Hz lower than the 10s and both have 1Hz difference in the low frequency extension (36hz for the 20s, 37Hz for the 10s). The difference in price is $400. Is it worth it?

Unless he listens to a lot of multi-channel music, I don't know if I could justify that difference. If it's a lot of movies and stereo music, I would say save the money and stick with the 10s for the surrounds. This is especially true since he's still adding a bluray player and sub to the mix.

For surround use, I would guess the answer is no. If we were talking about using them for mains then I would probably say yes, cuz I think the 20's would offer more in the area of intangibles.

Randy said:
Yesfan70 said:

For surround use, I would guess the answer is no. If we were talking about using them for mains then I would probably say yes, cuz I think the 20's would offer more in the area of intangibles.

Yeah, I'm strictly talking about the 10s for surround use. The OP already has three 20s for the front.

Speakers don't sound the same because the specifications are similar. They sound the sames because they use the same drivers, design principles, crossover elements, etc. Saying two speakers are similar because they have similar bass extension numbers in the spec sheet is like saying two cars drive the same because they both go from zero to sixty in about the same timeframe.

The ideal is always to use identically matching speakers for every channel and properly setting them up so the room acoustics impact the sound in the same way for each speaker location. Moving away from the ideal to accomodate the realities of any limitations one faces, be it financial, cosmetic, or physical, is something we all have to deal with.

Matching speakers is the ideal. Using the same speakers but with dramatically different room acoustics effects is one step away from ideal. Going with a different model from the same generation is two steps away from ideal. Going with a different model from a different generation is three steps away. How far from ideal is acceptable? Well, the person making the decision has to figure out what is acceptable.

Yesfan70 said:
JeffMackwood said:

Jeff

Both PaulyT's post that I quoted, and my own comments, specifically focus on multi-channel music. That's where I notice a big benefit. Stereo music: obviously zero benefit. Movies: less benefit (but more benefit, relatively, in comparison to wildly different mismatched mains and surrounds.)

I have the former in my main HT; I have the latter in my family room HT. Yes the rooms are different. But the biggest difference is that all of my speakers are matched in the main HT, and the front L/R, centre, and surrounds could not be much different from one another in the family room HT. In the case of the latter, placement issues, cost, (my wife), etc. dictated the compromise. In the case of the main HT it was always my goal to end up the way it is now, and needed only time to make it happen.

If we are fortunate enough to see a significant number of Blu-ray multichannel music releases in future, then matching things up now is a form of future proofing that one ought to at least consider. Well, I know I would if I were starting from scratch and/or looking to expand / upgrade. In the meantime there's lots of great multichannel SACDs available (like Wagner's "The Ring" that I just picked up.)

Jeff

Since you've got less than ten posts, you're required to post some pictures of your system when you get the new speakers. :teasing-neener:

What finish did you get on the 20s?

Back