• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm Sub2

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Anyone catch the latest issue of Home Theater where they review the Paradigm sub 2. Holy smokes does this thing pack a punch. Has a 3000 RMS amp six 10" drivers (that weigh 25lbs each) and if you have the 200volt version it can reach 4500 RMS with 9000 watts peak. The reviewer said in the article that they placed the sub in a huge garage warehouse that could fit like 20 cars and it shook dust off the rafters. Has a -3db range at 7Hz. Granted it cost 9,000/ea but if money were no object a couple of these would pretty much fill the largest of HT system.

Here's Paradigms link on the sub.

http://www.paradigm.com/products/paradigm-reference/subwoofer/signature-series/sub-2

For having 6 drivers it actually occupies a little footprint. man this sub is sweet. BTW the article had pretty much a linear flat frequency response from 500hz down to 20hz (where the graph stopped) at 95db. I can only imagine Mackwood with four of these in his basement room. BTW the reviewer stated that he had just one and had to keep his door open to use this, otherwise he feared his door would be ripped form the hinges from the pressure. :scared-yipes:

$8999 is pretty high. You can get that kind of performance for about half of that by diy.

DIYer said:
$8999 is pretty high. You can get that kind of performance for about half of that by diy.

So they upped the price by 2K since about last month. Whats up with that. I was going to win the lottery and get one.

Yeah I noticed the price jump also. I figure if those who have the money and didnt want to build an IB or have huge boxes (like the CS 18.2 or ED A9-700) in their room and WAF is high, then this would push some serious air. Over at AVS there is a guy who has two of these and I'm thinking he's insane.

Yes it is, nothing beats hearing Flints IB system in person and knowing that even after hearing Bats former SVS PB13 sub it wasn't even close. It"s just many don't have the option or want to cut into their homes drywall and make a permenant built in sub.

And in total I spent about $1200 on everything I needed for my IB sub and took about one day to install it.

Yes I do and when Flint was at my house, he showed me the perfect spot to place the drivers. And I have a huge attic that runs the length of my house. The issue is my GF, there is no way, she would be able to handle the deep bass that a IB setup could do. Just my setup using my sub and four mid bass subs is almost more than she can handle. But after hearing Flints setup, it would be instant asthma for my GF and she would instantly have me shut it off the moment i turned it on. One of these days I will hopefully have a dedicated movie room with a IB setup, but not in my current house because the great room would not be ideal for her.

Flint, did you do a writeup on your IB sub setup back at S&V? The wall behind my HT speakers is over my stairwell; not infinite but much larger than the 14"^3 Monitor Audio subwoofer I have sitting on the floor. I'm intrigued... :shhh:

MatthewB said:
Yeah I noticed the price jump also. I figure if those who have the money and didnt want to build an IB or have huge boxes (like the CS 18.2 or ED A9-700) in their room and WAF is high, then this would push some serious air. Over at AVS there is a guy who has two of these and I'm thinking he's insane.

I'm thinking you're right. I'm also thinking the second you go beyond the output level needed to make any kind of LFE from any source sound realistic it's a waste. His HT must be the size of a small grocery store.

Back