• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Performance today vs. yesterday

Snake Doctor

I have been curious about something while and thought I would ask the guys that know.

If I purchased a piece of new equipment 5 years ago and paid $2,000 - $3,000 and purchased the same type, brand, number of channels new today for $500 - $1,000 how would the two compare as far as performance?

An example if you bought an A/V 7.2 Ch today for $500 - $1000, would the performance be as good as or better then the one you bought 5 years ago for $2,000 plus? Just to keep it in line - the one purchased today may have more features then the one 5 years ago.

With better Technology and Advancements in Technology electronics get better (in some cases). Let's look at Televisions. 15 years ago I purchased a Mitsubishi 73" DLP (State of the Art - Top of the Line - $5000). This Christmas I purchased a Samsung 73" Q60 (Great TV but not Top of the Line - $1500). The Picture Quality is Outstanding compared to the Mitsubishi. Technology Changes

For A/V equipment, I would say, it depends.
My $400 Yamaha Integrated Amp from 1979 still sounds as good, in stereo, as my $600 2010 Yamaha Receiver, in stereo (obviously it has a few extra channels, and a remote, now). Same with my $300 Advents from '79, vs my $5,000 Monitor Audios (again, a few more boxes now).

I'm now thinking I should change my first sentence to "I would say, not so much". Hah.

Huge difference, however, in things like cars, TVs (as Mazer mentioned) computers and phones. Just a stunning difference!

It is true with displays, but generally not true with audio gear.

Other then maybe an Amp, what Audio Gear hasn't changed?
Audio Formats have Changed
Connectivity has Changed
Speaker Material has Changed (still some Great old Speakers out there)
Speaker Design keeps Improving
Turntables keep Improving
Headphones keep Improving

If we are talking about general sound quality and build quality, not much has changed. All of the connectivity changes are there to support new video formats, which has nothing to do with the audio. There haven't been any new audio formats in years. I disagree that there have been any significant advances in speaker tech in the last twenty years on the home theater side. Small speakers and portables have improved quite a lot and you can get decent sounding speakers at a lower price point, but there has been no material improvement in the speakers we use in our systems. One could argue that the sound quality has gotten worse because everyone is trying to make speakers that "pop" in the showroom rather than speakers that provide accurate reproduction. That has always been the case, but it seems to be worse now. I am hard pressed to find speakers I like when I go to showrooms.

Other then maybe an Amp, what Audio Gear hasn't changed?
Audio Formats have Changed
Connectivity has Changed
Speaker Material has Changed (still some Great old Speakers out there)
Speaker Design keeps Improving
Turntables keep Improving
Headphones keep Improving

I agree. When something new either in audio or video the prices are high the first year or two. Then the prices start dropping since the new format is easier and cheaper to get. When a new product is introduced for an example Atmos surround-sound originally developed in 2012. I believe Dolby digital is actually the same thing but the "new Atmos" was introduced as a multi-speaker platform with speakers in the ceiling, walls wherever. The equipment to produce multi-speakers was expensive, now not so much. 3D was very expensive then prices dropped, now I am not sure you can purchase a 3D TV.

I don't know, I think manufacturers may be taking liberties with performance.

I had an old Marantz SR 870 with a DP870 outboard DD processor and that thing had HUGE balls.

I replaced it with a Marantz SR 7007 (similar power specs) with much better connectivity and a lot of new tech and it is absolutely anemic and weak comparatively speaking in regards to power.

Marantz was always known for their power and this was disappointing.

I know this is only one example and it is my example but since I believe it to be true, it must be.

I don't know, I think manufacturers may be taking liberties with performance.

I had an old Marantz SR 870 with a DP870 outboard DD processor and that thing had HUGE balls.

I replaced it with a Marantz SR 7007 (similar power specs) with much better connectivity and a lot of new tech and it is absolutely anemic and weak comparatively speaking in regards to power.

Marantz was always known for their power and this was disappointing.

I know this is only one example and it is my example but since I believe it to be true, it must be.
Driving the same speakers?

I saw a great video once on audio receivers of the 1970's compared to today. Basically in the 70's and 80's they were making receivers with the sole intent of reproducing music and so they installed high quality amplifiers that could drive pretty much anything. Today's budget receivers have so many costs associated with audio format royalties that sacrifices had to he made and naturally that was in the quality of the built in amplifiers. I recall the last well made receivers were the 5800 series by Denon back in 2000 but you paid for that amp. Budget receivers back on the 70's were still high grade as they didn't have to pay all those royalties for sound formats and what was acceptable back then. Today your paying mostly for royalties in budget receivers and would actually have to move up to over 1000 dollars to get decent amp power you also have to pay that amount to get things like preouts to he able to add outboard amps. Today I just cant see spending less than 1000 for receiver. Heck I'm still running my Denon 4802r in the guest bedroom system, my Denon 3808ci used strictly as a preamp in my master bedroom and My Marantz 7005 preamp 7.1 system that I bought from Batman in my main HT and have no plans on upgrading anytime soon as everything I have is streamed video which can only handle 7.1 with some movies in Atmos bit those are far and few between and not worth my upgrading my whole system for when everything still works great.

Back