• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Philips discontinuing Pronto line

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Dang!

Philips is shuttering their Pronto business. The best enthusiast remotes on the planet are going away.

:angry-cussingblack:

A sign of the times? That boutique audio may wither near death with people buying more and more cheap chinese garbage?

Maximo said:
A sign of the times? That boutique audio may wither near death with people buying more and more cheap chinese garbage?

I don't think this is a sign of boutique shops suffering. Most of those shopes (around here anyway) specialize in more specialized systems with professional lines. I don't recall seeing any Philips stuff in those shops, maybe thajts the problem, that they couldn't/didn't want to get into those shops. I always considered the Pronto line to be in like SVS. Nice products aimed at enthusiasts with no real mass-market appeal.

Towen7 said:
I don't think this is a sign of boutique shops suffering. Most of those shopes (around here anyway) specialize in more specialized systems with professional lines. I don't recall seeing any Philips stuff in those shops, maybe thajts the problem, that they couldn't/didn't want to get into those shops. I always considered the Pronto line to be in like SVS. Nice products aimed at enthusiasts with no real mass-market appeal.

Yep, I agree. Pronto products were kind of a "tweener" product. They were extremely powerful and customizable; but, that means that the average Joe didn't want to learn how to program them. On the other hand, custom shops can do more with products from URC, Control4, and the like, so they didn't tout their programming services for the Pronto.

John

Considering the Logitech/Harmony remote control products, which are super simple to program, and customizable to an extent, depending on how much time the user is willing to contribute, it's a very competitive market.

I still own a Pronto remote and it functions ok, however the screen is difficult to read and it's rather slow in comparison to other remotes.

Rope

Back