• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pink Floyd

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Well, as you probably know, I got the Pink Floyd "Discovery" box set for myself for (a late) Christmas (prompted by Bob's mention of same), and I thought it'd be fun to start a thread for all things Floyd.

I've now listened to all 14 albums, at least twice through each, over the past few days. I'm fully immersed!

The album I'm most familiar with by far is The Wall. I've had that album since the mid-80's, one of the first CDs I owned, and I've listened to it countless times, can recite any/all of the lyrics, I know every little sound effect and background noise, etc. I'm pretty impressed with this release. Dunno if it's the remaster or just the first time I've really seriously listened to it in the past few years on my new-and-improved audio gear (mostly I've listened to it in the car in recent years, one of my staples for a long trip). But there's a lot on here that sounds different (and usually better) to me. I'll have to go through sometime comparing this remaster with the original CDs I have, just to see what's really changed.

Others albums I know very well from owning for a long time and listening to frequently: Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason.

One I've owned for a while but frankly am more interested in historically rather than musically: Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

The rest I've either never heard at all, or only vaguely in passing and have never owned: Saucerful of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds, Animals, The Division Bell.

I'll comment more later on my response to some of these, especially the "new" (to me) ones. But overall I'm really happy with this purchase, and AFAICT they seem to have done a great job with these remasters. SQ is excellent all around.

Anyway, feel free to comment, discuss, complain, whine, reminisce... about all things having to do with Floyd, including music, personnel, artwork, etc. Hopefully this'll be a fun thread, as Floyd is arguably one of the very greatest bands in rock history.

:music-rockout:

Zing said:

Gezundheit!

I taped The Wall onto a cassette the beginning of my junior year in college, and listened to it, on headphones, from start to finish every single night the entire year; I pretty much know it like the back of my hand too (I also flunked out, but that's another thread). I have DSOTM on several formats (most recently 5.1 :handgestures-thumbup: ), Wish You were Here and Division Bell, but nothing else; looking forward to reading your comments about the others, may have to expand the collection a bit.

412u4DVcA9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Animals is my all time favorite, even though many of their others are up there.

"Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are.
You weel heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are.
And when your hand is on your heart,
You're nearly a good laugh,
Almost a joker,
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying, "keep on digging."
Pig stain on your fat chin.
What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh,
You're nearly a laugh,
But you're really a cry."

Get your filthy hands off my desert!

Zing, I have no idea what TRGPIHYE means...? :oops:

PaulyT said:
I seldom know what the hell YOUR acronyms mean so I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine, Mr. AFAICT.

Anyway, TRGPIHYE = That's Really Great Paul I Hope You Enjoy

Pauly, I am also very interested in your impression of newer release's vs the older version's? Trying to decide how much I want to double dip.

Zing said:
PaulyT said:
I seldom know what the hell YOUR acronyms mean so I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine, Mr. AFAICT.

Anyway, TRGPIHYE = That's Really Great Paul I Hope You Enjoy

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I guess that's why they call him "Zing"... :D

Yep, As Far As I Can Tell this ought to be a good thread, I had to look it up. Mabye we should call him Zinger!

I gotta say, to me the sax solo in the last minute and a half of Two Suns In The Sunset from The Final Cut is one of THE MOST AWESOME MUSICAL LINES IN ALL OF ROCK. Just fantastic. I think that solo sticks with me, and hits me more emotionally, than even some of Gilmour's tremendous guitar lines in Comfortably Numb from The Wall.

PaulyT said:
I gotta say, to me the sax solo in the last minute and a half of Two Suns In The Sunset from The Final Cut is one of THE MOST AWESOME MUSICAL LINES IN ALL OF ROCK.
That was SO much better than TMAMLIAOR. Thank you! :handgestures-thumbup:

PaulyT said:
I gotta say, to me the sax solo in the last minute and a half of Two Suns In The Sunset from The Final Cut is one of THE MOST AWESOME MUSICAL LINES IN ALL OF ROCK. Just fantastic. I think that solo sticks with me, and hits me more emotionally, than even some of Gilmour's tremendous guitar lines in Comfortably Numb from The Wall.

Some of Gilmour's solo stuff is as powerful and essential to the music as the lyrics and vocals. The solo in Dogs I have always loved, simple, yet brilliant. I think it was Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) that said Gilmour could do more with one note than he could with a entire guitar, I'd say that's pretty right on. While the styles are different, Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Them Crooked Vultures) has the same effect to me for lead parts. While a very different style, they are as important to the song as the vocals just like Gilmour's stuff is....it's part of what separates these musicians from the masses.

Animals and Wish You Were Here are my absolute favorite Pink Floyd records. I would love for Waters and Gilmour to bury the hatchet and tour so I could hear music from Animals live. When I saw them in 04' I yearned to hear them.

Animals and Wish You Were Here are the only Pink Floyd albums I listen to anymore. I used to be a superfan, but the other stuff grew old and lost their thrill.

I like Animals from my few listenings so far. There's a LOT of similarity IMHO in style between that and The Wall.

So far I'm not as easily able to get into their earlier albums. They're very... psychedelic. ;) But I do very much like "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from their second album, Saucerful of Secrets. Kind of a meditative, almost eastern mantra feel to it.

I also really like San Tropez from Meddle. Some great piano in that one. And it's so utterly un-Pink-Floyd-ish, I've wondered for years what the story behind that track is, where it came from.

I guess I need to relisten to Animals, I just have never been able to get into it, although I don't feel I have given it a fair chance as well.

Pauly, I like the song just before San Tropez, Fearless maybe, the name is escaping me right now. I can't help but think of the Close Encounters movie every time I hear it.

I'm kinda diggin' Atom Heart Mother more and more. Of their earlier albums, this one is where I think their truly "Floyd" sound is beginning to emerge, and they're leaving behind the more blindingly psychedelic stuff that I personally cannot fully grasp. We see the funky sound effects coming into play - e.g. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Some really good music in this one, and somehow, and I kinda hate to use this term but can't think of a better one, it feels "fresh" like they're finding a truly new sort of musical realm to explore.

FYI this is the album right before Meddle in the chronology.

Hmm... though there is some of that (sound effects etc.) even in Ummagumma, the next earlier one, although it's a bit "weirder" or "experimental" or whatever you want to call it. Waters is finding his compositional voice (e.g. Grantchester Meadows). But overall I find Atom Heart Mother easier to listen to and more interesting musically.

:text-link:

Apparently the band weren't too thrilled with Atom Heart Mother in retrospect (see the quotes in the link above) - except for Rick, good for him! But I'm really enjoying this one, I've listened to it a few more times today. This is the first one of their albums chronologically where I find I really enjoy the music.

atom%20heart%20mother.jpg

Back