• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pioneer Elite SC-55

koufax65

Just got this new receiver last week, so far so good. Still playing with it and setting it up. It replaced an older pioneer Elite 54tx , any thoughts on this thing?

Sony 50" sxrd
Opppo 93
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Boston Acoustics cr85's (4ea)
Boston Acoustic vr sub

Very nice!

I've only read about the SC-55 but I'm very interested in how well the Qdeo video processing works to clean-up compression artifacts. I wish other manufacturers would follow suit and quit adding legacy video inputs.

What are your thoughts so far?
What sources do you have connected?
Do you perceive any improvement in video quality on questionable sources?
Can the processing be set per-input?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to have you here. Sounds like a great setup!

Can't comment on the receiver, haven't had a Pioneer since the "good 'ole days" of pure analog - think I bought it ~1990. Actually I still have that thing down in the basement somewhere, I think...

What made you choose that particular brand/model? Just curious.

How does the class D amplifier section affect the sound quality?

Rope

I have been a Pioneer Elite "guy" for quite a few years now. I have a 100 disk cd player and a dvd player (not blu-ray) that plays everything, and the SC-55 in my rack so i just thought I would stick to that. I am impressed with the class D amp so far. Have to admit the 7 year old Receiver that I had sounded pretty good too. It didn't have any HDMI inputs though and i wanted to get the lossless sound through those. I was getting it through analog inputs with the other receiver and again it sounded pretty close to this one. It does go up from 110 wps to 140 and has the Class D amp. Still playing with different set ups. I am only running the Oppo through the receiver as far as video goes and it looks great but it looked great before also. Not running my cable box through it because the little women doesn't want to have to turn on the receiver every time she watches TV. I did hook it up that way just to see how it looked and it again looked great. Can't fight the little women though can you? Any way I'll keep you posted as far as any more observations go. So far a cool little Receiver.

I do not use any scaling from my pre/pros REON chip set when viewing BD. I leave that duty to the Oppo's VRS Anchor Bay.

Rope

Ah, interesting! Didn't know this was class D. Right, with an Oppo there's not much need to use the video processing on the receiver, unless you've got other SD sources hooked to it.

Sounds like maybe you need a good universal remote so that the "little woman" can use the system more easily, and get the most out of it. Just a suggestion... that maybe you've considered already.

She is a very smart and beautiful women in most every way but can not seem to grip the idea of changing inputs to get what she needs. I even have the "icontrol2" app on my phone and on an old ipod touch that makes most ever thing a breeze but, she just is not into electronics, remotes in specific.

koufax65 said:
Just got this new receiver last week, so far so good. Still playing with it and setting it up. It replaced an older pioneer Elite 54tx , any thoughts on this thing?

Sony 50" sxrd
Opppo 93
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Boston Acoustics cr85's (4ea)
Boston Acoustic vr sub
Hey Koufax65, welcome and we're glad you're here! Great choice with the Pioneer Elite. I've been a "Pioneer" guy for years now and love there gear. The "Elite" line has great features with very good internal parts for long term enjoyment.

I just switched out the Oppo (970, I think) for a Pioneer Elite DV79avi and although I didn't expect a big difference, I got one. The "Elite" presents a bigger soundstage, with more depth and space. Heck, the transport mechanism operates so much more smoothly and just feels better engineered than the Oppo. I am thrilled with the upgrade.

I just wanted to say Welcome and it's good to have more Pioneer users!

BTW, how did you find "The Audio Annex"?

Dennie

koufax65 said:
She is a very smart and beautiful women in most every way but can not seem to grip the idea of changing inputs to get what she needs. I even have the "icontrol2" app on my phone and on an old ipod touch that makes most ever thing a breeze but, she just is not into electronics, remotes in specific.

Yeah, I hear you. Have you tried the Harmony universals? It has buttons like "watch tv" or "watch a movie" and it'll set up everything correctly. All she has to learn is which button to push... ;)

Hey Dennie, thanks for the welcome. I found this site when it was linked by someone on another site. Glad i did too. Seems very cool. Lots a great info.

I have a harmony 800 from a while back. Never really was happy with that one. It just kind of sits in the charger most of the time.

Glad you found us! Yeah kick back and relax, some very knowledgeable folks here. Some opinionated ones as well, but hey... :laughing:

There are a lot of big fans of the Harmony One here. I have one of the new 650s and am quite happy with it for my relatively simple system (just pre/pro, bd player, ps3, wii, and squeezebox).

koufax65 said:
Hey Dennie, thanks for the welcome. I found this site when it was linked by someone on another site. Glad i did too. Seems very cool. Lots a great info.......

That could be me, as I have the link to this place in my signature on S&V. I'm assuming that's where you saw the link. I've made it my goal to point all the newer members and MIA members from S&V to this place.

back on topic.......

I love Pioneer's stuff. I put a really cool headunit in my last Jeep and I had an Elite 60" RPTV that I kept for about 14 years. I still have my Pioneer laserdisc player in the gear rack too.

That Koufax photo bares a very striking resemblance to our very own site owner Zing....Welcome to the site koufax65.....just be careful of that Pauly fella, he's straight gangsta :scared-eek:

Back