• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pioneer Kuro Pro 141 FD Calibration

Vinyl

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    860.1 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    776 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    895.9 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    854.6 KB · Views: 715
I’ll be brief and to the point – happy to reply to any questions.

The ISF Night Mode comes into play only with BD material – the Panasonic BD55 settings were also calibrated to the display – it was thought that this mode would be all that was needed ... not so – switching over to cable HD/SD the picture was slightly washed out – the calibrators experience quickly pays off – the HD cable box is the culprit – it seems the voltage is different than the BD player.

Another mode was created and calibrated to the cable box - Enter ISF Day Mode – this will be the mode for general/cable viewing.

I also had the ‘Movie’ mode setting converted/calibrated to 5400K for black/white movies on TCM – black/white movies are now displayed in Sepia.

I honestly didn’t think much more could be extracted from this display – I was wrong - the overall picture is less aggressive – colors are more natural – fine details are more obvious and sharper - hard to believe the blacks could get blacker – but they did – rolling credits seem to float – Hubble’s Canvas is a delight.

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 714
Could I ask, how much did you pay, and was it worth it (sounds like it was!)?

Great post, thanks! :handgestures-thumbup:

Definite improvements across the board – regarding price it wouldn’t be fair to the calibrators to say - what I can tell you is that pricing is negotiable and I’m tough :)

Very, very cool!

I've never owned a high-end display but if I ever do I'll certainly follow your example.

AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 40
Brightness: +1
Color: +8
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -15
Color Temp: Manual

•R High: -8
•G High: 0
•B High: +2
•R Low: -1
•G Low: -1
•B Low: 0
Gamma: 1, 2, or 3 (source dependent)
Pro Adjust
Film Mode: see text
•Text Optimization: Off
Intelligent Mode: Off
•DRE Picture: Low
•Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 1 (Hard)
CTI: Off
Color Management: All 0
Color Space: 2
Noise Reduction (4 options): All Off
•3DYC: N/A for component and HDMI
•I-P: 2 (interlaced sources)
•Drive Mode: 1
Power Control
•Energy Save: Standard

Rope

Vinyl said:
Rope ... are they your non calibrated settings?

No. Those setting are provided by Home Theater Magazine - Test Bench, which include disclaimers for viewing environment and source.

I have not looked, but plasmatvbuyingguide.com will also list calibration settings for the KURO Pro 141PD. And as I have always stated, every display is different, and setting provided by other sources are only a base, not etched in granite. Throw into that pool, viewing environment, source, viewers sight, and multiple other factors, and ISF calibrators equipment, not to mention calibrators abilities, you'll have different settings.

Rope

Rope ... I concur the variables are many – the effects of the source components was an eye opener – FWIW according to the calibrator the last batch of the 141's were slightly different than previous models making the calibrators target just shy of the intended goal – in his experience the older models will calibrate more accurately - he brought this up when he informed me that my display was not from the last run.

How black is that screen? Oh, that's right, it's a KURO.

Mine still amazes me, not to mention other people. Heck, I look still forward to turning it on and watching dark shadow scenes, especially on Blu-ray.

Rope

If I didn't know better I'd say that's a scene from Sin City. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

I was just noticing your pre and post RGB. It surprises me that out of the box they weren't a little closer, but after the calibration, they look almost like the same line. Also, the black levels look like they are actually, well, Black. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure to view a display with black's like that.

BTW, are you in Toronto? I noticed that the calibration was from Toronto.

FredtheFilmFan said:
I was just noticing your pre and post RGB. It surprises me that out of the box they weren't a little closer, but after the calibration, they look almost like the same line. Also, the black levels look like they are actually, well, Black. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure to view a display with black's like that.

BTW, are you in Toronto? I noticed that the calibration was from Toronto.

If you haven't had the pleasure of viewing a Pioneer KURO, don't punish yourself now, since Pioneer discontinued production of KURO plasma flat panels.

Rope

They stopped making them? Why the hell would they do that? Arguably the best consumer TV on the market and they stop!! Guess I don't have to torture myself. But my buddy just ordered a new JVC DLA-X9, so I'll still have something to fill my envy.

Really, the black looks so damn black, why would they stop....

^ damn I'm jealous of your friend. I really want an X7 but I think I'm going to wait until the 2nd gen 3d projectors hit the street. By then they may have so the 3d and panamorph lens can be used together for 3d w/o the need for a outboard scaler...

Good news is I get to help set it up and calibrate his new system.

Any idea on why Pioneer shut down the Kuro? Can't get the panels any more?

Back