• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma burn-in

That's what I was thinking too. The seating distance to see the small difference is not worth the price. I have now even convinced my brother-in-law on that too by showing him a few web sights that show 2 of the same images and now he has seen the light! And he now wants a plasma after seeing mine even with out the colors dialed in yet. He was has a proscan 42" LCD at 120hz at 1080p. After watching football last Sunday at my place he admitted my picture quality and performance blows his away. I tried to tell him.

Deerhunter said:
That's what I was thinking too. The seating distance to see the small difference is not worth the price. I have now even convinced my brother-in-law on that too by showing him a few web sights that show 2 of the same images and now he has seen the light! And he now wants a plasma after seeing mine even with out the colors dialed in yet. He was has a proscan 42" LCD at 120hz at 1080p. After watching football last Sunday at my place he admitted my picture quality and performance blows his away. I tried to tell him.

Too many salesmen rely on "1080p" as a selling point and I find that irritating. When I took my mom out to look at some TVs, she asked what was the difference when the salesman mentioned a certain display having 1080p.

I had to remind her the only benefit to 1080p (after the size and seating distance had been established) was Bluray content. The cable providers and local networks at best are still at 720p.

She settled for a 42" Panasonic LCD display (60Hz refresh). The set is 1080p, but she did say she was really more worried about the glare from the plasma more than 1080p....fair enough.

I was pushing her to get the 50" plasma which was about a $100-$150 more than the TV she decided on. :D

Unless you plan on watching all 1080p video source signals, and seating is relatively close to the display. 1080p is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, and if your display size is 50" or under, you're pissing in the breeze with 1080p.

Rope

Congrats on the new purchase! Loved the quote about the wife and her mom thinking you're sitting too close. I think that's about the same distance we sit from my dad's 42" plasma and it looks and feels fine. So I don't see a problem, either. Heck, when I shared a house with one of my brothers, he had a 65" TV and one of the chairs must have been maybe only 8 feet away from the screen, maybe less; sure it was too close, but it's amazing how quickly I got used to it!

I think I'd have bought the 720p, too, with that a 42" and a seating distance of ten feet.

Agreed with what's been said regarding burn-in. I've seen years ago a display at a store that looked like the screen was etched glass and was certainly permanent, but I'm guessing it was heavily abused. My plasma is maybe a year or two newer than that model. I've never had the 'etched glass' type of burn in. I did, however, have the sets own internal, bright neon green "Channel XX" label do a serious case of image retention that was barely viewable mainly on white backgrounds only. Took me about a full year after I got a cable box (which moved the "Channel XX" to a different location) before the slight burn-in went away. But the point is that it went away eventually. And maybe I wouldn't have had the issue in the first place if I had been gentler with the set in its first 100 hours? I dunno. Regardless... I try not to abuse the plasma, just in case. I usually only play videogames for maybe a half-hour at a time, but I've had no permanent burn-in---just retention that goes away after a little regular TV viewing.

Back