• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma vs. LCD - a simple test

nelmr

Well during the Superbowl we had several people over. I had the Plasma hooked up in the main room to the DVR/FiberOptic TV and the LCD in the other room using pure OTA.

Both TVs have been calibrated using the S&V disk. The LCD is a 60hz 1080p set from Sharp Aquaos(2.5 years old). The Plasma is the 1080P Panasonic GT series. Both are approximately the same size (50" vs. 52")

I asked people to tell me their opinions of the differences in picture quality between the plasma and the LCD. Note that these same people previously talked about how nice the PQ looked on the LCD when that was my main TV.

Anyway, they watched a little football on the plasma, then walked into the room with the LCD to watch a little. Each one instantaneously was wowed by the difference. The LCD lacked contrast and looked washed out they said. I was happy to show them the difference since previously they said they couldn't see any at the stores.

Yeah I think there are drawbacks to both so its just a matter of what annoys you the least. In my limited exposure to plasma (including owning one) I have found that they have an inherent problem with certain colors like some pastels. To me certain colors like purple appear almost neon or cartoonish looking.

I visited a friend this weekend who I had helped buy a TV recently. We went with LCD because of the ambient light situation.

The picture is pretty good on his LCD but when compared to my plasma "The LCD lacked contrast and looked washed out".

TitaniumTroy said:
Thanks for the post, I am considering upgrading from CRT to plasma.

Is the CRT a HDTV? If so, I would probably hold on to it unless it's an older bigger style RPTV that's taking up space.

The only circumstance where LCD trumps plasma is, viewing area where light is unconrolled.

Rope

Rope said:
The only circumstance where LCD trumps plasma is, viewing area where light is unconrolled.

Rope

That... and weight. Those LCDs are almost as light as a feather!

I saw somewhere on the 'net today that plasma sales increased all four quarters of FY10, and the limiting factor appeared to be Supply.

How does weight matter, once the TV is installed? I understand that you have to ennsure that you're using the correct mounting bracket (if it's wall mounted) but the price difference in the mount (if any) is really negligible when considering the price of the TV and the mount combined.

John

yromj said:
How does weight matter, once the TV is installed? I understand that you have to ennsure that you're using the correct mounting bracket (if it's wall mounted) but the price difference in the mount (if any) is really negligible when considering the price of the TV and the mount combined.

John
I've wondered that too...

yromj said:

John

I'm sure a lighter TV is going to be a lot easier to wall mount than a heavier one of the same dimensions, especially if you have no help. But yeah I agree once installed, weight no longer matters.

FWIW, when I was looking around for my TV, plasmas were only about 2-3 lbs heavier than their LCD counterparts. I don't know what it's like now.

I don't think of weight as a determining factor at all when considering a flat screen. Picture quality should trump everything else except fitting one's budget and spacial considerations as far as I'm concerned. Having dealt with both enough times, I've never had the marginal weight advantage of LCDs become a factor... :twocents-mytwocents:

Batman said:
I don't think of weight as a determining factor at all when considering a flat screen. Picture quality should trump everything else except fitting one's budget and spacial considerations as far as I'm concerned. Having dealt with both enough times, I've never had the marginal weight advantage of LCDs become a factor... :twocents-mytwocents:

What is the weight advantage now with plasma vs LCD of the same screen size? I think mine is coming up 4 years old, and back then its was give or take 2-3 lbs. Is it still like that or has LCD gotten lighter.

I happened to be on a distributors site and checked 3 different 42" sets from Panasonic. One LED, one LCD, and one plasma. The LED is listed at 41.9 lbs with stand attached, the LCD is 45.2 with stand, and the plasma is 49.6 lbs again with the stand. Assuming the info is accurate I don't see it making that much of a difference...if the plasma has the superior picture. It's not like we are talking a 40-50% decrease in weight, it's not even 20% going from plasma to LED. I would also imagine differing brands may factor in but I'm not gonna look up all several hundred sets out there... :happy-smileygiantred:

Yesfan70 said:
TitaniumTroy said:

Is the CRT a HDTV? If so, I would probably hold on to it unless it's an older bigger style RPTV that's taking up space.

Yesfan, this is my tv just curious why you thought I should hold on to it? No problems, great pic, but the screen size could be bigger.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_WEGA_KV_34 ... 79879.html

Troy

TitaniumTroy said:
Yesfan70 said:
TitaniumTroy said:

Yesfan, this is my tv just curious why you thought I should hold on to it? No problems, great pic, but the screen size could be bigger.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_WEGA_KV_34 ... 79879.html

Troy

I'll let the more knowledgeable gurus respond, but the main reason why I suggested that was because your TV is a CRT based model. CRTs, as old as they are, still provide the best picture detail, even over plasma.

Your TV is getting pretty old, but unless you're looking at a much bigger screen size and if HDMI and floor space aren't issues, then I don't know if I wouldn't even bother upgrading. I could understand if you were like me and were upgrading from an old 60" analog RPTV, but if you're looking at say a 720p plasma in the 30-36" range, then I don't know if that would truly be a step forward.

If it helps, I think you're in a win-win situation here. We all like new toys. I know I did when I got my projo and made the jump to HiDef. If you decide not to upgrade, then your TV is still new enough to enjoy HD content and its paid for.

I want to add this about CRTs....

While the core technology behind CRT televisions is technically capable of being vastly superior in color accuracy, color gamut range, grayscale, and such, not all CRTs are inherently better than even the cheapest LCD TV. As with any technology, how well it performs is a result of how well it is implemented. Not all CRT televisions are implemented to be perfect.

So, if you are upgrading from an old $100 25" westinghouse CRT TV with a VHS VCR built into it, I imagine you will find pertty much every LCD or Plasma vastly superior. However, if you are running a top of the line WEGA CRT from Sony or top end Pioneer CRT RPTV, then as long as the CRT (or CRT light guns) are still working up to spec you are likely to have a hard time getting a LCD to look better and only the best Plasmas will compare.

I have to agree with Flint, I still use my Pioneer Elite RPTV (58") on weekends (movie watching only) and I gotta tell you, it compares with my 42" Samsung plasma as far as picture quality goes. In fact with the RPTV, I get no pixellation at all, way deeper black levels and more of a film like appearance when watching movies. I do watch almost all my TV shows on the plasma in the master bedroom which to me doesnt require a "film like" appearance. But have no plans on getting rid of the Pioneer. I look at new LED's and am amazed at just how sharp and clear they are, but to me it gives a more "non realistic" view since everything including background is too far into focus.

Back