• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Poor poor C240, forgotten for years.

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
How's this for a lost, forgotten, neglected MC240 found in a shed. Alas chrome is all rusted, the lettering is all but gone and a bit of dirt.

C240a.jpg

C240b.jpg

C240c.jpg

is this a rehab project? You are gonna need a new jar of elbow grease for that one.

Looks about as bad as it could be. Re-chrome and re-paint the chassis, new tube sockets, pots, switches, probably new filter and other electrolytic caps, replace the bias selenium rectifier with a diode....a lot of work.....assuming the power and output transformers work.....

Wardsweb, dont take this the wrong way but can you make sure that your next of kin lets us know when you kcik off. Wouldn't want all of that gear to go into unloving hands....

Maximo said:
Wardsweb, dont take this the wrong way but can you make sure that your next of kin lets us know when you kcik off. Wouldn't want all of that gear to go into unloving hands....
My wife and I have already had this discussion. She will hold on to it for a bit, as a way of having me around when I'm "gone". Then she will start contacting my friends to spread the weatlh around. My kids aren't into audio. They are the iPod generation. :(

I vote for an invitation only auction. The right crowd could net your wife quite a nestegg. Performance aside, just knowing the care those things have recieved.

Botch said:
That's photochopped! :teasing-neener:
We are often told not to believe everything we hear. Now it's our turn to tell our kids not to believe everything they see. :D
In the mean time, in the photo section of this forum...

heeman said:
Wardsweb said:
a quick cleaning and it looks a lot better already

MC240d.jpg

Hey man..........what did you wash it down with??
Flux stripper; dries quick, leave no residue and won't hurt electronics. Besides it was what I had sitting on my bench.

Razz said:
soundhound said:
DIYer said:
Wards, how old is that amp?

I've got one just like it. Its from the early 1960s.

As I remember, yours looks very different.

It looked bran new!!!

It needed some cleaning up when I bought it, but it was in otherwise excellent shape.

BTW, I use a variety of cleaners, including glass cleaner, xylene, denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, each for different parts. Polishes will take off the lettering on a chassis in no time, so I don't use it.

Botch said:
Xylene will too, won't it? :?

I use these solvents very selectively. For chassis with lettering, I use glass cleaner I get from Costco. This also works for units which have a buildup of residue from someone who smoked. It works well on the circuit boards like the MC240. The xylene has to be used carefully, and only where needed.

Costco glass cleaner in the aerosol can is the BOMB!

Metal surfaces without paint, or other finishes, can be cleaned effectively with a caustic such as carburetor cleaner.

Rope

Back