• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ported vs sealed Sub, What's your preference?

Razz

So I'm looking at subs today and trying to figure out what is best for my setup. I am reading a lot of talk about ported sub vs sealed. This varies a lot on the articles out there.

I'm getting mostly the following....

Ported:
Better for HT
Typically bigger
More out put and move more air
Can cause a bit of distortion

Sealed:
Better for Music
Tighter and quicker
Less distortion
Smaller

What do you all think about this, and why?

So I'm looking at subs today and trying to figure out what is best for my setup. I am reading a lot of talk about ported sub vs sealed. This varies a lot on the articles out there.

I'm getting mostly the following....

Ported:
Better for HT
Typically bigger
More out put and move more air
Can cause a bit of distortion

Sealed:
Better for Music
Tighter and quicker
Less distortion
Smaller

What do you all think about this, and why?

I completely disagree with the assumptions of which is better for which.

Here's my take.
Size = ported subs tend to be larger than sealed subs
Distortion = When done right ported subwoofers have vastly less distortion at subsonic frequencies than sealed subs. In fact, sealed subs straight up generate massively higher levels of distortion at frequencies below 30Hz at audible listening levels.
Speed/quicker = Neither is better than the other, speed is measured in frequency response and both subwoofer types can equally produce the same high end as the other, which is rarely higher than 120Hz.
Tightness = Sealed subwoofers tend to stop making sound at subsonic frequencies than ported subwoofers. But at the same SPLs, the different is not huge.
Better for HT/Music = I don't subscribe to this comparison as accuracy is accuracy and things like low THD, reasonably high SPLs, flat response, tunable with the main speakers, overall balance is what matters in both situations. I don't think a HT should have a different "sound" than a music system. Good sound can do both equally well.
Move more Air = Ported subwoofers generate exponentially higher SPLs in the range below 30Hz for the same size and same amplifier output. You can force a sealed sub to generate the same output with EQ boost and larger amplifier output, but that increases distortion exponentially because the driver is working 10x to 50x harder to accomplish it. This can create a perception of moving more air, but that only applies to like for like settings.

Summary:
I am absolutely convinced that when done correctly, a ported subwoofer is vastly superior for true sub-sonic frequency output than any sealed woofer small enough to deliver. Getting any woofer to generate appreciable output below 30Hz is extreme difficult to start with, but a subwoofer small and light enough to haul into a room is really going to struggle with the high output levels necessary to make 22Hz audible, much less enjoyably loud.

Sealed subwoofers have the benefits of being smaller and often lighter. But, to get the same output below 30Hz they often require significantly more power with an EQ boost in the low bass range. Thus, sealed subs generate considerably more distortion due to the hard work they are doing fighting the pressure of the enclosure.

If looking at performance and price as the primary criteria for buying a subwoofer, once to can afford a properly designed ported sub, in almost every case the ported sub will outperform the sealed sub when setup properly. If you cannot afford a proper ported subwoofer, then a sealed can be had which does fairly well in the range above the subsonic frequencies, like above 40Hz.

Caveat
All of that said, almost everyone I know configures their systems so the subwoofer is 10dB to 20dB too loud in relation to the other speakers in the system. Even self-described audio experts tune their subs too loud, most of the time. I think most do it because they want to always know for sure their subwoofers were worth the money and time it took to set them up. They want to be reminded of their expense and efforts. A well adjusted system will rarely make the subwoofer obvious in the room. The entire reason 80Hz was the default crossover frequency was to ensure the sub was used at frequencies where it wouldn't be obvious where it was and thus it would trick you into believing the bass you heard was coming from the main speakers. That was the goal. If done well, a novice should be extremely impressed that your tiny bookshelf speakers can generate such low bass, not be impressed that your sub is so dominating.

So, if one is turning up their subwoofer to be 10dB SPL too loud, then it will stand out and a slight boominess in the room will become an over the top booming rattling resonant nightmare. In that case, going with a sealed subwoofer will generate 18dB less output in those subsonic frequencies and as such make less boominess and less house resonating rumble. But if it is tuned properly, a sealed subwoofer would appear to have almost no subsonic output where the ported sub would present those low rumbles properly.

Caveat 2
In my home I have one commercial sealed subwoofer from SVS, used in my less than ideal family room television rig. I have another Flint Acoustics sealed subwoofer on my patio mated to my Flint Acoustics coaxial satellite speakers. And my huge like array includes a massive 8 subwoofer drivers in sealed enclosures. In my main critical listening rig, I have two Infinite Baffle subwoofers. So, my preference for ported subwoofers clearly has it's limits.

Thanks Flint,
Good info and food for thought.
Not disagreeing with you, but why did I read a couple of spots that distortion was less on a sealed? Do you think that is maybe the case up until a certain SPL level? Even a video from SVS said sealed Subwoofers generally have less distortion and are faster at stopping, inturn sounding cleaner.

Thanks Flint,
Good info and food for thought.
Not disagreeing with you, but why did I read a couple of spots that distortion was less on a sealed? Do you think that is maybe the case up until a certain SPL level? Even a video from SVS said sealed Subwoofers generally have less distortion and are faster at stopping, inturn sounding cleaner.

Straight up, running 100W into a ported subwoofer and a sealed subwoofer will result in higher distortion just above and below the Helmholtz resonate frequency of the enclosure (the tuning frequency of the port) than the same frequency from the sealed subwoofer. That is completely true. However, assuming identical class of driver and size of amps, that frequency will be 10dB to 16dB lower in loudness in the sealed subwoofer. If you were to increase the output at that frequency in the sealed subwoofer to match the ported subwoofer, the output from the amp would have to multiply by 10x to match a 10dB increase in SPL. Therefor the same SPL at the lower frequency from the sealed subwoofer will require 1,000W to match the 100W going into the ported subwoofer. So, yes, the THD will be higher when the output at 100Hz is matched and their is no bass boost EQ on the sealed subwoofer, but you may not hear the sealed sub at that frequency because it may be below the threshold of hearing.

Here's a graph of the predicted response of a very good 18" subwoofer which the manufacturer claims is equally appropriate in a sealed and ported enclosure in the ideal enclosure parameters for each type:
Sealed_vs_Vented_Sub_Response.jpg
Chart 1: Vented versus Ported frequency response for same driver (ideal cabinet volumes)

The purple line is the response in an ideal sealed enclosure with 25% stuffing for optimum acoustic suspension loading. The light green line is for the same woofer in an ideal vented enclosure with no stuffing for maximum efficiency. The -3dB point for the vented is about 22Hz and the -3dB point for the sealed is about 39Hz. The IEC defined bass limit, or -10dB point, is about 16Hz for the ported and 23Hz for the sealed. If we look at a safe subsonic frequency both can handle decently, like about 25Hz, the ported sub is 8dB louder. or about 6.4 times the power. So, if it takes 100 watts to get enough SPL for the ported sub to be impressive, it would take 640 watts to get the same SPL from the sealed sub. That means the woofer is working 6.4 times harder and the pressure inside the enclosure would be 6.4 times greater at the waveform peaks, and the amp would be pushing hard on it's power supply. That would suggest the THD from the sealed sub to generate the same output will be MUCH higher than it was at 100W where it may have looked better than the ported subwoofer when SPL wasn't taken into account.

So, the chart you want to see if your intention is to get true subsonic performance is one that compares the distortion at equal real life levels.

It is also important to take into note how well we can even hear (or feel) bass. We don't even hear 25Hz until it is at least 78dB SPL in loudness, see the Equal Loudness Curve based on the work of Fletcher & Munsen:
equalloudnesscontour1.jpg

Chart 2: Equal Loudness Curve

So, in order for you to perceive 25Hz as sounding equally loud as the midrange where you calibrate your HT, typically 85dB SPL, then the loudness at 25Hz needs to be a full 110dB SPL!!! Of course, that's insane, but the sound engineers who design our music and video audio have calibrated systems where the overall frequency response is flat from the lowest frequencies through the entire audible spectrum. So they are expecting your subwoofer to be balanced with the main speakers.

They are also trained and experienced audio engineers who know what natural and real sounds like. If they want an explosion to rattle your doors, they will mix that explosion to do that with a flat system, you don't need to boost the subwoofer by 20dB to get what they wanted you to hear.

But, if you really do want deep bass that makes your chest vibrate with the right content, you need a subwoofer which can safely and happily generate about 105dB SPL in your room to as low as 20Hz. That takes a ton of power with a sealed subwoofer where it only takes a whole bunch of power for a ported subwoofer.

Of course, if a user cannot afford or is unwilling to go with a huge, properly designed and appropriately priced vented subwoofer, then they can settle for a sealed subwoofer which does a good job in the more audible range from about 120Hz down to 40Hz. But, to me at least, I don't technically consider that a "SUB" woofer. It is just a low bass woofer doing a necessary task the main speakers cannot do on their own. In my family room the SVS subwoofer is crossed over at 60Hz, so it is closer to being a "sub" woofer, even though it is sealed. In my main listening room the IB subs are crossed over at 30Hz, so they are truly only "SUBSONIC" woofers which are rarely noticed until they make all the difference with just the right content.

None of this is to say that all sealed subwoofers are bad. They aren't all bad. Some are damned amazing. Also, the size of the room the sub is used in makes a huge difference. In a very small room with closed doors, a huge vented subwoofer which can generate massive output down to 20Hz will definitely be overkill, though not useless. My long thread on how a room affects bass covers the details, but in a smaller room the cab pressure frequency could be as high as 25Hz, meaning any speaker producing even reasonable output below 25Hz will get a whopping 24dB SPL of gain just from the rom. In that scenario, a very well-designed and implemented sealed sub will actually be more flat and accurate than an equal quality ported sub which will have that massive boost below 25Hz in the small room.

But that's for small rooms and who would put a massive 5 cu ft dual 18" ported sub in a small room in the first place.

If a room has one wall greater than 12 feet, the room gain from pressurization is less of an issue in terms of boosted bass. In a large room where the walls are all over 16 feet in length and the ceiling is 8 feet or higher, a ported sub is going to offer a more flat and accurate bottom end than an equal quality sealed subwoofer.

And, as I mentioned above, if the subs are well calibrated for a natural sound, the advantages of the ported sub will be palpable.

A few years back some AVS Forum members from around these parts had themselves a little Blind Subwoofer Shootout featuring four sealed subwoofers, two ported, and 1 horn-loaded. More info in the first post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...sas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012-a.html. I recommend skimming through the first three posts (although post 2 has some good info) and then reading some of the reviewer posts, especially post five by HuskerOmaha, it's pretty funny...

A few years back some AVS Forum members from around these parts had themselves a little Blind Subwoofer Shootout featuring four sealed subwoofers, two ported, and 1 horn-loaded. More info in the first post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...sas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012-a.html. I recommend skimming through the first three posts (although post 2 has some good info) and then reading some of the reviewer posts, especially post five by HuskerOmaha, it's pretty funny...

After reading several of those posts, I get the impression they truly were just trying to determine which sub will ruin their hearing the most completely and the quickest.

After reading several of those posts, I get the impression they truly were just trying to determine which sub will ruin their hearing the most completely and the quickest.

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I've been to several of their HTs and the bass is way, way over-the-top.

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I've been to several of their HTs and the bass is way, way over-the-top.

While I can appreciate what they are doing, I always go back to applying their mindset about audio to video and cannot help laughing. Imagine going to a get together to see how amazing different projectors can do the color red? They'll have a dozen projectors and a specially design red meter to measure the red output and determine the limits of each projector's red capabilities. They'll do viewing tests with content rich with lots of red and compare the results. They'll push all the limits of red reproduction and by the time you leave your eyes will not be able to see red for days without giving you a headache.

I went to one WI Home Theater GTG where the focus was on BASS. https://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/ultimate-bass-gtg.12800/

I found these guys on the AVS Forum and found that my goals and likes about Home Theater was much, much different than the guys in that group.

I almost, almost attended a GTG this past Saturday at Jeff's P, house, he is the owner of JTR Speakers, but decided, not to. Hind-site, I probably should have gone just to have seen his products in his "perfectly tuned" environment, but I decided not to go, maybe next time.

I will admit that I run my 2 sealed subs, slightly hot, but nothing like I have seen in others rooms. I dial the subs to about +4 dB hot for music and +8 dB hot for movies and concerts.

I think my sealed subs work fine in my room. However, it has been recommended that Infinite Baffles are my next step.................we'll see.

I went to one WI Home Theater GTG where the focus was on BASS. https://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/ultimate-bass-gtg.12800/

I found these guys on the AVS Forum and found that my goals and likes about Home Theater was much, much different than the guys in that group.

I almost, almost attended a GTG this past Saturday at Jeff's P, house, he is the owner of JTR Speakers, but decided, not to. Hind-site, I probably should have gone just to have seen his products in his "perfectly tuned" environment, but I decided not to go, maybe next time.

I will admit that I run my 2 sealed subs, slightly hot, but nothing like I have seen in others rooms. I dial the subs to about +4 dB hot for music and +8 dB hot for movies and concerts.

I think my sealed subs work fine in my room. However, it has been recommended that Infinite Baffles are my next step.................we'll see.

I've met Jeff a couple of times - you should go the next time you get the chance.

My old subwoofer is an SVS Ultra Plus 2, which has three ports. I have the foam bungs in two of the ports, which was recommended by Flint. My two new subs are in the garage waiting for me to get rid of the old sub, and move them in. I went for the tighter bass is sealed line, while my living room is open to the rest of my small duplex. I can't plum the depths of bass and loudness or my duplex neighbor complains. But just with the bass of movies, music is no problem, unless maybe I were to try and crank some organ music.

So I'll have to report back in when I get things re-situated, it would be interesting to hear a side by side demo of sealed vs ported.

I have a dual 15 inch sealed from PSA and it is a killer sub. Of course my room is treated and it’s at an optimal position- but it doesn’t lack subsonic ooomph at all. Could go lower- just don’t know why I would want it to.

Well, hell! If you are going to buy subs which are 10x more powerful than you need in the first place, then none of this really matters.

But using PSA as an example, taking two of their similar quality single driver 15" subs which are prices within 9% of each other, they show you the difference on their website:

Sub_S1510_compression.jpg
Sealed sub's output at 20Hz maxes out at about 103dB SPL and at 15Hz it is maxed out at about 97dB SPL.

Meanwhile the vented version can produce up to 108dB SPL at 20Hz and a clearly audible 103dB SPL at 15Hz.

Sub_V1510_compression.jpg

My point being that given the limitations most people have to contend with, I believe a well made ported sub will do better at subsonic bass than a sealed sub of equal quality.

Of course, one big caveat is that if you are going to go with a $2,400 dual 18" sealed sub with a 2,000W amp, none of this matters.

Simple questions:

Why do companies design and manufacture sealed subs?

Do they have any benefits in certain applications?

Simple questions:

Why do companies design and manufacture sealed subs?

Do they have any benefits in certain applications?

By far the biggest advantage is in the total cost of manufacturing, delivering, and supporting customers. An acoustic suspension subwoofer can be made with lower costs going into the cabinet and, for midrange units, the driver. If you pay for a container to ship all your most popular subs from China, putting 500 smaller units in one container is far cheaper than getting only 300 ported subs into the same container. The same applies to shipping around the USA and then the cost of stocking inventory is lower when the cardboard boxes are smaller. In fact, the larger retailers charge the manufacturers to stock products for in store sales (which is why you very rarely see the good stuff available as cash and carry at Magnolia). The cost of support is lower as well, as a sealed subwoofer won't get mice, rats, bugs, or snakes inside it if there's an infestation on a ship or in a warehouse. Likewise, the end user won't have similar house animals (pets or pests) getting inside the cabinet. Generally, if everything is equal in terms of the driver and amp and fit and finish, a vented subwoofer should cost more because the cabinet is larger, has at least one extra part (a port, or two, or three), and costs more to ship and stock in inventory. So, for the cost of doing business reasons alone, a sealed subwoofer is preferable.

Secondly, most buyers struggle to justify even modest sized subwoofers. Go on Craigslist and check out all the used home theater subwoofers for sale and count the percentage which have larger drivers in vented enclosures. There are few - and that is more driven by consumers not realizing what they are buying more than anything else. Add the wife acceptance factor, and you are creating a difficult market for larger vented subwoofers.

Thirdly, you need to consider issues with delivering and installing in a HT. If a sub has to be shipped on a pallet and carried by two people, if not more, it is hard to mass market them for cash and carry retail sales. If Best Buy were selling the behemoth PSA dual 18" subs, they'd have to make buyers sign a waiver releasing BB of liability or they'd have to charge $150 for (or raise the price and give away) in home installation services. These logistics are very real, and a manufacturer with a bunch of MBAs working in all levels of management and a board of directors and stock holders cannot take on all the liability, costs, and complexities of those things unless the pay off is HUGE. So, if someone like Harman Inc. wants to sell a huge sub like PSA or SVS offers, they'd have to make such a huge margin all the other risky and variable costs are more than covered. So, when JBL offers huge speaker cabinets, you know the margins are huge compared to their smaller boxes, regardless of what goes into them.

So, that's the story.

I remember when the whole subwoofer market really took off and the only practical offering on the market was the tiny Sunfire sub with the 2,400W amp, a ultra-long-throw driver and passive radiator, and tiny 1 cu foot enclosure. It was a compromise in every way, but it made lots of rumbly in the home and passed the wife acceptance test.

Oh. and most importantly, they are selling shitty little sealed subs like hotcakes as it is. So why bother. Most consumers only care about how many watts, how big a driver, and the cost. If they can get a 15" woofer in a 2 cubic foot enclosure with a 1,500W amp, they think they've gone mad with bass overkill. They won't even know if it sounds good or not as long as the new sub makes the movies go boom and everyone always notices how boomy their systems are when they visit.

I think as passionate hobbyists we often forget that the majority of the criteria that goes into designing a new audio product is about delivering features a bunch of marketing people decided would sell while trying to keep the costs as low as possible. If a marketing guy convinced the company that huge, overdesigned, serious subwoofers would sell well and make the company an additional $15M a year, the company would find a way to deliver it. In case you haven't noticed, most of the good subwoofers come from smaller companies with niche customers and no board of directors, publicly traded shares, or huge staffs with bright ideas.

So PSA is in The U.S.A.

Why do they design and mfr both sealed and ported. Maybe it is unfair for me to ask you this question?

I traded in my ported 15’s for their XS-30’s. Tom recommended this, maybe it was budget at the time. I don’t remember???

Not trying to be difficult here, but are there any applications where sealed perform better than ported?

I do remember telling Tom, that I wanted the bass to feel like I was being kicked in the chest.

He recommended the XS-30’s.

Back