• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pretty Cool App

yromj

A few weeks ago I downloaded a pretty cool app from my Samsung tablet (Android O/S). I started looking for one because the last link in my multi-media distribution puzzle was playing my lossless audio (now encoded in FLAC) in my theater. I don't want to have to add any more hardware, such as a Sonos system (though these are REALLY! cool), and my PC will play the audio. I simply needed a way to control the PC.

I found an app called "Media Player Remote" and downloaded it for $0.99. I also had to download a small utility to run on the PC. When I did this I discovered that the app worked, but it was based on playlists. I don't really do playlists. What I really wanted was an app which would allow me to browse my music just as I can using other hardware (browse by artist/album/song usually). I contacted the developer of the app and explained that the way the app functioned combined w/ my library of ~4,000 songs, this wouldn't really work out so I would possibly request a refund (they had a 24 hour guarantee).

I have been communicating w/ David, the developer ever since and the app has been updated to include browsing by album, artist, or genre (though once in you're in one category you then enter a list of songs in that category). You can also now search as well. Furthermore, the app controls Windows Media Player so it's not limited to just music but you can also play videos and browse photos as well.

Why is this so cool to me? I can now sit in my theater and browse my music on my tablet and play it through my system for a total cost of $1. I can't wait until David releases the true "tablet" version of the app so it can make better use of the extra screen real estate (he purchased a Sammy tablet about the same time I got the app). David says it's coming fairly soon.

John

John just noticed this thread and have to ask, you really wouldve gone through all that for a .99 refund. I would've seen the app wasn't what I wanted and chalked up the lost buck to lesson learned. You actually found the Imelda to contact the developer and had him redesign the app. Kudos man I'm just one lazy son of a bitch.

Btw I found a way to make Angry Birds better but am too damn lazy to contact the developer.

MatthewB said:
John just noticed this thread and have to ask, you really wouldve gone through all that for a .99 refund. I would've seen the app wasn't what I wanted and chalked up the lost buck to lesson learned. You actually found the Imelda to contact the developer and had him redesign the app. Kudos man I'm just one lazy son of a bitch.

Btw I found a way to make Angry Birds better but am too damn lazy to contact the developer.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Apple is the largest company in the world!

:eek:bscene-buttred:

Flint said:
MatthewB said:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Apple is the largest company in the world!

Ahh the app mentioned is for an Android.

oh_snap.jpg

mzpro5 said:
Flint said:
MatthewB said:

Ahh the app mentioned is for an Android.

That is funny.

But it completely missed the entire point of my post. I was pointed out that Matt doesn't bother with refunds or trying to fix apps. He just buys apps and if they are not perfect, writes them off as a dollar gamble lost. I didn't quote or comment on the original post, I commented on Matt's post.

MatthewB said:
Flint I just have too much on my plate than to worry about a buck.

That is exactly what the iTunes marketing geniuses are counting on. They invented the disposable priced technology market and everyone else is trying to copy it.

To Matt's question: The $1 wasn't the point. The point was finding an app to do what I wanted. If I got to work w/ the developer and steer the app somewhat (which I did) then yes that is definitely worth my time. The way I am looking at it, it's either get an app to work or buy some more hardware, such as either a Squeezebox or Sonos system. I already have all the hardware needed to do the job, including an amazing device w/ terrific control potential.

BTW, the tablet app is now available, and now that summer is over, I might actually be able to find some time to test it out.

John

I think it's pretty cool that the developer made improvements to his app using your suggestions.

You got way further than I ever did... I once contacted an app developer regarding glitches and improvements and then got a standard form email back. Not that I really expected differently. T'was to a larger company and I just hoped maybe my 2 cents would be considered if they ever updated.

John,

Does the app work if the files are ripped using Windows Media Player Lossless?

Keith

yromj said:
To Matt's question: The $1 wasn't the point. The point was finding an app to do what I wanted. If I got to work w/ the developer and steer the app somewhat (which I did) then yes that is definitely worth my time. The way I am looking at it, it's either get an app to work or buy some more hardware, such as either a Squeezebox or Sonos system. I already have all the hardware needed to do the job, including an amazing device w/ terrific control potential.

BTW, the tablet app is now available, and now that summer is over, I might actually be able to find some time to test it out.

John

Where can one find the tablet app, or what name does it go by?

Rope

heeman said:
John,

Does the app work if the files are ripped using Windows Media Player Lossless?

Keith

Yes. It is a WMP interface app. It simply allows remote control of WMP. The biggest drawback is that WMP plays nice w/ WMA Lossless but not FLAC while A/V equipment is exactly the opposite.

Rope, search for "Media Player Remote HD" in the Google Play Store.

John

Back