• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projector Shopping

Towen7

Staff member
I'm shopping for a projector for use in a light controlled HT for movies and the occassional sporting event.

The most popular PJs in my price range (~$2K) are DLPs but sadly I'm still sensitive to DLP rainbows so I'm looking for an LCD model. On my short-list at the moment are the Epson 8350 and the Panasonic AE4000.

Does anyone here have experience or suggestions with PJs in this price range?

I've been using an Epson Home Cinema 720 for a few years now and would recommend an Epson to a friend without reservation. At $1300, the 8350 is really tough to beat!

Last year's 8500UB is now the same price as the AE4000 and those two went head-to-head all year long as to which was better. No one could determine it.

I considered the 8500UB but at for the same money the AE4000's lens memory capability would make me choose it over the 8500UB. I'm sure that I'll be satisfied with the PQ of either projector so I guess the real decision is whether the Panny's remote zoom and lens memory function (for ultrawide screen movies) is worth $700 to me.

Towen7 said:
I considered the 8500UB but at for the same money the AE4000's lens memory capability would make me choose it over the 8500UB. I'm sure that I'll be satisfied with the PQ of either projector so I guess the real decision is whether the Panny's remote zoom and lens memory function (for ultrawide screen movies) is worth $700 to me.
Do you plan on buying a 2.35:1 screen? If so, you'll also need to prioritize your image size preference. The cinescope movies will fill the screen and HDTV content will be smaller with side-letterboxing. So if you'd rather have HDTV fill the screen (i.e., be the larger image) then you'll want a 16:9 screen rendering the lens memory feature of the Panasonic moot.

Since the intended use of the space is primarily for movies I'm thinking that a wide 2.35:1 screen would be the way to go. I'd rather have a wide screen and not need it for some content, than need it and not have it. I don't really mind letter boxing but I'm considering Carada's masking system for benefit of those guests that do.

In your price range, the Panny 4000U is really hard to beat, IMHO. I just ordered one for a friend and it was a very easy sell because he has seen a mutual friend's 3000U in action.

If you know someone who can find a deal on this stuff, the new JVC HD250 that's supposed to retail for $2995 might be able to be had for close to the $2k of the Panny. The JVC will probably best the Panny in black level and contrast.

If you're going w/ 2.35:1, the Panny's auto-zoom feature is really cool, though. That combined w/ the PQ of that projector may be hard to beat for your situation.

John

^ John everything you just said including the statement about the JVC was exactly what I was thinking...

:angry-cussingblack: I cant find anything other than September press releases on the JVC DLA-HD250.

Rope Edited post “Re: Projector Shopping” written by
» Zing

That's one way to get your mod privileges taken away. :teasing-neener:

Zing said:
Rope Edited post “Re: Projector Shopping” written by
» Zing

That's one way to get your mod privileges taken away. :teasing-neener:

That was and honest misnake on my part, I clicked the edit button, not the quote button. When I seen I had added my comment ot your post, I then edited your post once more, deleting what I had posted and creating a new post with my comment. I promise, promise, promise, it won't even never ever happen again...well, untilt he next time. :laughing-rolling:

Rope

Zing said:
yromj said:
Have you seen this thread: :text-link:
YOU FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!
:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

It took two tabs and far longer than it should, but YES I finally got it to work.

I'm curious if T7 read (or started reading) that thread. To give you an idea of how much interest this projector is generating, that thread started in early September, was only on page 2 by October, but is now on page 19.

JVC has thrown down the gauntlet in the <$3k projo market w/ that thing. It does NOT have lens memory though, which may be a deal-breaker for T7, though.

John

I did thumb through that thread... Thanks. Typical of AVS people that have not even been in the same time zone as one of those projectors are declaring it the best or worst thing ever. I am interested if I can get it closer to $2K than $3K. I haven't been able to find a dealer though.

Towen7 said:
I did thumb through that thread... Thanks. Typical of AVS people that have not even been in the same time zone as one of those projectors are declaring it the best or worst thing ever. I am interested if I can get it closer to $2K than $3K. I haven't been able to find a dealer though.
Hmmm I think I know someone who can get JVC....

Batman said:
Towen7 said:
Hmmm I think I know someone who can get JVC....

I was trying to leave a trail of bread crumbs w/o calling anyone out...

I've seen a few JVC projectors in action and they ARE all they're cracked up to be. I remember when Tee calibrated Bat's JVC and put the color filter up to his eyes and said he had never seen one dead on like that. That was out of the box.

The black on his is BLACK. When the scene from WallE where they're flying outside the ship (with the fire extinguisher) is on, it's unreal.

The Panny is fabulous; but, I think if this projector can be had for <$2,500 it's the only way to go.

John

Back