• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS4 or Xbox One?

I definitely want the XB1 with the Forza 5 game but the price has put me off. I think I am going to wait for the prices to come down. Or maybe wifey will surprise me this Christmas season. :D

Put the 1M on launch day into context... It took more than 6 years for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 to each sell 100M units. Still, considering that MS and Sony have said that this generation of hardware is expected to last 10 years, I can't imagine that in 10 years time there won't be advancements in online delivery that will make expensive hardware that is traps you in your living room unnecessary.

I put my 360 Slim with all the extra accessories on ebay hoping to get about $130. Best Buy is offering $100 for working 360 consoles so I am going to sell them my other 360. Should be halfway there after I get rid of the two consoles. :angelic-green:

lulimet said:
I put my 360 Slim with all the extra accessories on ebay hoping to get about $130. Best Buy is offering $100 for working 360 consoles so I am going to sell them my other 360. Should be halfway there after I get rid of the two consoles. :angelic-green:

Are you selling of your games also? That might get you the rest of the way there...

The XOne is not backwards compatible

The DirtMerchant said:
According to the article linked they sold over 1 million PS4s and expect to sell 5 million by March.
At the release of the PS3 in 2006 they sold 197,000.

Gaming might be dying, but a shitload of people are still buying in...
I honestly thought console gaming WAS dying, but that is some pretty high initial sales...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-in-north-america-in-24-hours.html?cmpid=yhoo

They've been saying consoles have been dying for quite some time.

As with computers, they aren't dying, just changing form. They're becoming entertainment hubs- very much the set top box for the internet age, but with enough horsepower to play some really neat games. There's not much non-gaming activity done by one of these that one couldn't do with, say, a modern Blu-Ray player, but their goal is pretty clearly to make Rokus and standalone Blu-Ray players unnecessary if you have a Xbox One or PS4. The shift in form factor away from something that looks like it belongs in a toy room to something that looks more at home in an electronics stack is a good indicator of this.

Akula said:
The DirtMerchant said:
According to the article linked they sold over 1 million PS4s and expect to sell 5 million by March.
At the release of the PS3 in 2006 they sold 197,000.

Gaming might be dying, but a shitload of people are still buying in...
I honestly thought console gaming WAS dying, but that is some pretty high initial sales...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-in-north-america-in-24-hours.html?cmpid=yhoo

They've been saying consoles have been dying for quite some time.

As with computers, they aren't dying, just changing form. They're becoming entertainment hubs- very much the set top box for the internet age, but with enough horsepower to play some really neat games. There's not much non-gaming activity done by one of these that one couldn't do with, say, a modern Blu-Ray player, but their goal is pretty clearly to make Rokus and standalone Blu-Ray players unnecessary if you have a Xbox One or PS4. The shift in form factor away from something that looks like it belongs in a toy room to something that looks more at home in an electronics stack is a good indicator of this.
I appreciate Microsoft's effort in that regard much more than Sony's...

The DirtMerchant said:
Are you selling of your games also? That might get you the rest of the way there...

I only have one game that has any value so I am selling it in a separate auction. :angelic-green:

I do know that it's not backwords compatible but I don't care. How can I go back to 360 games after playing XBone?

lulimet said:
The DirtMerchant said:

I only have one game that has any value so I am selling it in a separate auction. :angelic-green:

I do know that it's not backwords compatible but I don't care. How can I go back to 360 games after playing XBone?

See, that's one thing that's keeping me from being all that interested in the new one. If it were backwards compatible I could transfer my saved games over and keep on playing the ones I like to throw in every now and then. I have family I occasionally play a game of Halo 3 or something with... with a Bone I'd need to make sure my 360 stayed functional for that. Sure, I could sit them on the shelf together, but right now (IMO) these new systems don't need any additional reasons to not buy one. Backwards compatibility, even just one generation's worth, would be an additional reason to consider the new one. It might even result in enough of the previous consoles being sold on the secondary market to make a noticeable sales bump in some of the older games, offsetting the cost of including that emulation capability.

I find it hard to believe the hardware isn't capable of running an emulator for previous generation games, they just didn't want to bother.

lulimet said:
...How can I go back to 360 games after playing XBone?

True. But I have a few games that I love to play regardless of A/V quality which makes me unable to get rid of my 360.

Super Monkey Ball for instance...

I am not that big of a gamer anymore, that's why it is not a problem for me. I am going to use the XB1 for media more than 50% of the time.

MUDSHARK said:
What is the outlook for PS4 availability by Christmas. I am thinking of getting my son one.

No clue. If it's like any other console launch, it's look hard and look often and you might just get lucky.

MUDSHARK said:
What is the outlook for PS4 availability by Christmas. I am thinking of getting my son one.
My friend Matt scored one of each by signing up for amazon notices via email...I'd say wait for the notifications and be diligent about being on Amazon when the clock strikes.

MUDSHARK said:

apparently walmart is stocking up for this weekend and next weekend for the black friday stuff.

otherwise, im not certain. i plan to search for one tomorrow at walmart.

I ordered my xb1 directly from Microsoft last night at 12:02 AM. I hope it gets here within a week.

:text-link:

The iFixit guys Xbox One teardown reveals why Microsoft's console is so large ... The space and big-ass fan make it clear that MS is terribly concerned about another heat induced RROD scenario.

Back