• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS4 still needs some work...

FredtheFilmFan

So, my PS4 exploration continues.

I put on Star Wars Episode II (yes, willingly) and the sound was only two channel. So, after much messing around and upsetting my children by interrupting their movie....it still was playing in 2 channel.

The movie only outputs at DTS6.1 in english. I'm using an Optical connection for my audio as the copy right protection crap won't let me pass the video signal through my Denon AVR 3806 via HDMI to the projo. So, the PS4 HDMI is connected directly to the projo, optical to the receiver. The PS4, it seems, will not pass a 6.1 signal through an optical connection, it only does 5.1. I'm not sure if it will do it via HDMI either. So it turns out, the PS3 still holds the advantage over the PS4 on something. I wonder if they will fix this via a software update in the future?

FredtheFilmFan said:
The PS4, it seems, will not pass a 6.1 signal through an optical connection, it only does 5.1.
Nothing will. The inherent limit of the optical cable is 5.1. Your PS4 is not flawed.

There's got to be a setting (in either the PS4 or your Denon) to allow for this.

Zing is right. Optical is limited to 5.1 channels and can't do HD audio either. Plain DD or DTS only.

So that's it! I'll spare Sony from my anger. Doesn't seem to be a setting. 6.1 DTS is a bit of an odd format so I imagine the electronics r confused.

FredtheFilmFan said:
So that's it! I'll spare Sony from my anger. Doesn't seem to be a setting. 6.1 DTS is a bit of an odd format so I imagine the electronics r confused.
Yeah, could you tell me what it even is? I've not heard of it before. :think:

I know I have some DVDs with DTS 6.1 soundtracks. The Blade movies, at least the second two, and I'm pretty sure there are others. At the previous house I actually had a 6.1 setup as well (normal five and sub plus a rear-center). For 7.1 setups, that rear-center signal is split between the two rear speakers...

Botch said:
FredtheFilmFan said:
Yeah, could you tell me what it even is? I've not heard of it before. :think:
Yeah, back about a decade ago a limited selection of DVDs had DTS-ES and I wanna say that Dolby had Dolby Digital EX (?) DTS added a sixth discrete channel while DD EX matrixed the sixth channel from the surround channels and with the correct setup, that 6th rear center signal could be split into two rear surround channels.

Dolby Digital EX

DTS-ES

Yep, Bats is all over it. Optical/coax can do 6.1 but not any of the lossless audio formats we've come to love. So, it looks like it's the format rather than the number of channels that's likely causing issues. Have you tried selecting DD or DTS (not the lossless formats) or is that even an option?

John

That particular Blu-Ray only has the 6.1 option for english. I speak a bit of French, which is in 5.1, but I doubt i'd understand much, with the exception of JarJar.

I played another movie, Rise of the Guardians, which is 5.1 and it worked, so it must be the electronics are all confused by the 6.1 format.

FredtheFilmFan said:
I speak a bit of French, which is in 5.1, but I doubt i'd understand much, with the exception of JarJar.

:laughing-rolling: :text-lol:

yromj said:
Yep, Bats is all over it. Optical/coax can do 6.1 but not any of the lossless audio formats we've come to love. So, it looks like it's the format rather than the number of channels that's likely causing issues. Have you tried selecting DD or DTS (not the lossless formats) or is that even an option?

John

Bats?!? I posted before he did, you bastard!

CMonster said:
yromj said:

John

Bats?!? I posted before he did, you bastard!

Yes indeed you did and I should have noted that. However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the old lossy formats didn't support 7.1. The formats would do 6.1 discrete, or semi-discrete - depending on DD or DTS, then the electronics would extrapolate that into 7.1.

John

Back