• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PSB Synchrony One B as an upgade to Paradigm Studio 20?

PaulyT said:
:laughing: I do that all the time, just check the headphone section when I talk about amps!
Or your bromance with Joe Banana! We've tried interventions...

Enjoy your new speakers and don't forget to post some pics!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Will definitely post some impressions and thoughts after a good shootout with the Studio 20's. Maybe i'll also finally take some good data on my room's LF response, cause it's kinda weird as I recall from my sub calibration and i'd like ya'lls reactions to some charts.

Anyway, so none of you has experience with the Synchrony line then? I guess I'm kinda surprised. Why not? And why was it discontinued do you think?

BrianZ said:
Ok so despite everyone's advice I just sent payment on the used set of PSB Synchrony One B's. The price was too good to pass up and since they're discontinued I just can't imagine any other way I'd get to try them, especially in my own space. Fairly low risk as I imagine it would be pretty easy to get what I paid for them if I decide to sell.

I bet you guys love when jerks ignore your advice and just do what they really want anyway. [sheepish shrug]

So let me see if I've got this straight: You posted a question, got some responses, evaluated those responses, determined that you were own person and did what you wanted to do. Is that about right? Well :eusa-clap:

I hope you enjoy them and look forward to hearing what you think. Congrats!!

John

yromj said:
So let me see if I've got this straight: You posted a question, got some responses, evaluated those responses, determined that you were own person and did what you wanted to do. Is that about right? Well :eusa-clap:

I hope you enjoy them and look forward to hearing what you think. Congrats!!

John

ha, yeah that's what happened. and a good think it did . . .
[see next post]

Family photo:
(with the PSB Synchrony One B's)

20151203_091851_LLS.jpg

So it really wasn't much of a contest between these and the Studio 20's. I set them up side by side and the instant I fired up the PSB's I heard the difference before even switching over to the Paradigms. The mids, especially vocals are just so much more real and clear. The top end is extremely similar and of course the PSB also go impossibly low for a bookshelf (IME) while still somehow retaining bass clarity and quickness.

During my time with the Studio 20's (almost 10 years now) I had occasionally noticed a bit of lower mid bloat that made vocals a bit bottom heavy, but I never would have called the mids recessed. But in comparison to the PSB's I have to say they sorta are. The result was that for HT, dialogue was just a bit harder to understand than I would have liked. Not as much of a problem with music. In fact I recall many times being a little frustrated at not being able to fully make out the dialogue in a film, but then a song would kick in for a musical non-dialogue scene and I went back to thinking, "yeah, that sounds nice". And speaking of music, holy hell does this seem like an upgrade. The realism is kinda blowing my mind. I thought the Paradigms did some real magic in making it sound like I had musicians in the room, especially singers. But the PSB's take that illusion to new heights for me. The much cliched veil has been lifted off the mids. All my favorite albums sound even more alive, and new again. All this and a very pretty design to boot. I feel like I've stepped up in to new league.

So I won't go on too long. The take away is that I am really loving these things and it was well worth the effort & expense, so long as I can get a decent price for my 20's.

Thanks all for your advice once more.

-Brian

(and I still can't imagine why the Synchrony line was discontinued. You certainly don't see many used so I'm guessing people are hanging on to them.)

Nice............Very Nice!

Glad that you have made an improvement!

Enjoy!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I've owned my PSB Image speakers for almost 14 years and have yet to have a real urge to upgrade...... Until now. THATS why I avoid this place. Lol

walls said:
I've owned my PSB Image speakers for almost 14 years and have yet to have a real urge to upgrade...... Until now. THATS why I avoid this place. Lol
You should see what happens when you go to a get together. You go home and start building rooms...and shit...

John

Back