• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pulled the trigger! Shure SE846 - in BLUE!

Towen7 said:
How do the "SNR" labels work for those w/o accessible mailboxes? Our neighborhood has all the mailboxes at a single spot. They are like post office boxes where only the mailman can put anything in it. As such all FedEX deliveries have to be brought to the door.
Tom,

Sorry I missed this post of yours.

I assume that only mailed parcels end up at the neighbourhood mailbox site, and that all couriered deliveries go to your home/door. In that case the sticker just goes onto some visible part of your door and the parcel gets left there.

In Canada, Canada Post does not yet offer SNR sticker service (but ironically, Purolator, a courier company which Canada Post owns (91%), does.) Not sure whether USPS does or not. If they did, then I assume that small packages could be left in the parcel slots of the communal mailbox, and larger parcels at the door (as they do now anyhow?)

Regards.

Jeff

Well... now I have done it...

I just made an appointment at the top audiologist in Austin for musicians getting custom molds and custom earplugs. Wheee!!!!

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Always wanted to do that for my Shure stage in-ears; at the cost of two gigs' pay I never took the plunge. :|

So... I got to spend some quality time with these IEMs today. I listened to all my critical listening material, including everything on my world famous, out of print, desperately in high demand, and sexy speaker auditioning CD set, and I am more impressed than ever.

The level of detail, which I assume comes from lack of distortion, phase accuracy, flat frequency response, and dynamic accuracy, is stunning. I can hear things - specific details where I can swear I could tell you the guitar, gauge of strings, type of pick, and location of the microphone - that I never thought I'd hear from music reproduction.

When I know what went onto a track, I can hear it in the recording because I know what to listen for. But when I think I can tell those details from a good recording even when I have no prior knowledge of how it was recorded??? That's amazing.

I am shocked and awed at this point.

I am going to the audiologist in about 9 days to get fitted for molded sleeves (I may also order some musicians earplugs while I am there). I cannot wait to hear these IEMs after getting a 100% perfect fit on the ear sleeves.

By the way... the main marketing point for these IEMs is the so-called subwoofer. I can attest that the bass is incredible - as much as it can be in an earphone when my body isn't also vibrating. The lowest bass is perceptible without making the sound phat, thumpy, or distorted. That said, it is still only as good as it can be when your other listening mechanisms (body hair, skin, and bones) are not being stimulated. You can never accurately recreate the bass of a killer PA, home theater subwoofer, or real life performance without the body being hit with the acoustic energy.

What a cool time I had.

The audiologist I visited today was super nice and easy to get along with. She has extensive experience with the type of thing I am getting as she and her partner focus on the Austin musician community, making IEM sleeves and boots for hundreds of clients every month. They also make tons of customer hearing protection products for concert goers as well.

We talked about my options, and I chose to go with the Westone "boots" rather than the bulkier Sensaphonics fitted molds which move the IEM further out of the ear canal. She offered to let me return the Westone boots if I didn't like them at full credit if I decided to go with the Sensaphonics molds instead.

She put a probe in my ear and showed me what it looked like in there, and she was impressed with how clean my ear canal was. No need to for additional cleaning.

She then put tiny little cotton buttons in my ears to protect my eardrums and injected a compound into my ears which took about 5 minutes to cure before she removed them. It was rather simple and easy and completely easy and painless.

In about two weeks I will get my new Westone boots, which I chose to order in clear with red and blue tips to reflect "left" and "right" channels. Total cost was just $163 including tax, less than I budgeted for.

So far I am pleased. I will report back in a few weeks when I pick them up.

Flint said:
She put a probe in my ear and showed me what it looked like in there, and she was impressed with how clean my ear canal was. No need to for additional cleaning.

You dog, you. Such a romantic.

PaulyT said:
Flint said:

You dog, you. Such a romantic.

:laughing-rolling:

I really enjoyed reading through this thread, since I have not gotten into headphones/IEMs yet but have always been curious about them. There aren't many places to demo headphones, let alone places that carry Shure. As such, I haven't had a chance to listen to many different makes/models.

Flint, thanks for comparing them to your 535, would you say the jump in price of the 846 is worth it?

Also, when you say they're as accurate and transparent as any speaker/headphone you've heard, would you put these up with ultra high-end speakers, or even your custom-made speakers?

I guess in other words, would these be a way to experience extremely good sound reproduction without having to spend multiple thousands of dollars on speakers?

I know demoing gear is ideal, but I may be interested in ordering a pair of 535 or 846 sometime down the line based on what I've been reading. (Unless you feel there is something about these where demoing would be strongly recommended.)

team_tsp said:
I really enjoyed reading through this thread, since I have not gotten into headphones/IEMs yet but have always been curious about them. There aren't many places to demo headphones, let alone places that carry Shure. As such, I haven't had a chance to listen to many different makes/models.

Flint, thanks for comparing them to your 535, would you say the jump in price of the 846 is worth it?

Also, when you say they're as accurate and transparent as any speaker/headphone you've heard, would you put these up with ultra high-end speakers, or even your custom-made speakers?

I guess in other words, would these be a way to experience extremely good sound reproduction without having to spend multiple thousands of dollars on speakers?

I know demoing gear is ideal, but I may be interested in ordering a pair of 535 or 846 sometime down the line based on what I've been reading. (Unless you feel there is something about these where demoing would be strongly recommended.)

Good questions, all.

I would preface my response with the most basic disclaimer that everyone has different tastes and what one person may find as a pathway to nirvana could be an auditory nightmare for another.

So, is the upgrade worth the money? Well, for me it was. I have been using the Shure E535 for years and, while I love their performance, I had come to recognize their limitations in some areas. So, the upgrade addressed those limitations very well and took me to the next level in performance - but still maintained the overall character of the 535 I had come to passionately love.

As for comparing them to loudspeakers... well, nearly every good headphone or IEM I have ever heard outperforms even the most high end loudspeakers regardless of price in terms of reproducing the minutest detail of the midrange with low distortion and near perfect phase performance. That is just the physics of a large speaker attempting to react to small signal waves and couple with the acoustic load of the room AND the fact that room acoustics always hinders performance and has very rarely been addressed to the level a headphone can address it.

I have always relied on headphones to reference midrange performance in the studio or at home or on the road because no loudspeaker can reproduce midrange at that level of detail.

That said, my 846 IEMs are the best I've hear in the midrange, ever. Period.

Flint, my son has talked about custom earplugs. He uses earplugs bought from Amazon etc & encourages his fellow percussionists to use earplugs. Can you give me their names that you went to ? I like the fact that they cater to the music crowd.

Thanks for the insight Flint!

The 846 definitely sounds appealing, I may be really tempted to pull the trigger on them at some point, especially if they ever go on sale or promotion. Were you able to score a deal on them, or did you just purchase them when the time was right for you?

No, no special deals. I have been watching for a deal on those specific IEMs since they were launched and I haven't seen anything, yet.

I hadn't made an audio purchase in years, so I was due - and since I travel ALL the time and don't have much time for home stereo listening anymore, these were my choice.

Not to hijack this thread from Flint, but after reading Flint's review, as well as reviews from all over the Internet, and debating forever with myself, I pulled the trigger on a pair of se846's about a month ago. I've been really busy so haven't had time to post my thoughts until now. I wasn't brave enough to go for the blue, and got the mainstream clear model instead :)

These are just my 2 cents, and overall I am pleased enough with them to keep them, which says a lot considering the price.

What I like:
  • Completely effortless sound reproduction.
  • Flat/even frequency response.
  • Best separation of instruments/voices I've ever heard.
  • Never fatiguing.
  • Bass reproduction is interesting, though impressive for such a small device.
  • Subjective terms: very smooth and liquidy, without being mellow, muffled, or slow feeling.
The following are attributes the 846's still do well, but I feel could be a bit better considering the price. Again, just my subjective thoughts:
  • These resolve a lot of detail, but I still feel like they should have even more resolution given the price. Though to be honest, the only thing I've personally heard that my memory recalls being better in this regards were a pair of YG Acoustic speakers (maybe the Hailey?)
  • I'm not sure if "transient response" is the correct term, but I feel these could start/stop sounds a bit faster. Again, it's not lacking, but for the price I was expecting a bit better.
  • Overall I like the default "neutral" nozzle insert the best, though I personally prefer maybe just a bit more treble. However, the white insert, which increases treble by 2.5 db is too much.
  • Though timbre reproduction is consistent across all instruments/voices, I feel like it could be a bit better. I feel a few speakers out there reproduce male vocals better, or certain instruments better, etc., though no speakers I've heard are as consistent as these IEMs.

Six months in and I am still loving these IEMs. I have gotten to where I wear them several hours a day. When I am working in the coffee shop in my little downtown area, I wear them to listen to music and sometimes watch videos on my notebook tablet. My tablet recognizes that I am using a mic-enabled headset so Skype, Google Hangouts, and now WhatsApp video calls go swimmingly while I am working from my tablet. Also, the signal processing on my tablet's audio card is amazing because somehow the hardware/software/driver combo recognizing these earphones separately from my large AKG 701 headphones or my cheap Samsung stock headphones and loads the proper settings for each. The settings include playback gain, mic gain, mic noise filtering level, any EQ, tone, or effects settings (which I only use with the Samsung OEM earphones), and any other processing (turned off in my case). It is really amazing.

I did break the plastic casing on the mic portion of the optional mic cable I've been using with Shure SE 846 IEMs. It still works fine, but the tiny circuit board is exposed and the jagged plastic hangs on my shirt or jacket when I move. The cable was bought two years ago and was used with my previous top end IEMs, the Shure SE 535, so for the $49 I paid for the cable, I got two solid years of nearly continual use. That's pretty good, in my book, and comes out to $2.04 per month of effective use. I ordered a new cable, same Shure model (rather than the off-brand "upgrades" I saw on Amazon). The new price is $29, so if I get another two years out this cable, I will have spent about $1.21 per month of significant use. I think that is a bargain.

This also gets to the heart of the benefits of having a replaceable cable for your IEMs. I still have the two factory cables which came with the SE846 IEMs, as well as the factory cables for my older and cheaper models of the SE IEMs. In the decade, or so, that I've used this line of IEMs, I have purchased two accessory cables at about $49 each, or $98 for over ten years of IEM + Mic performance. If I had a permanent cable, I would have to choose to always have a mic, or not, with no option to switch off (which I do when I use the IEMs as monitors while playing drums, or when I want the shorter cable for some reason). I could also buy other interesting accessory cables, like a very short one for when I use a clip-on headphone amp, like my FiiO A5, or the newest A6. Or if I want an extra long cable, those are out there as well. I can add mic accessory cables from various manufacturers, and if I were an Audiophile, there are Japanese import solid silver and silver over carbon cables that cost an arm and a leg I could get. It is pretty cool, if you think about it. I even saw a professional performance cable/mic combo which has a pro-grade performance mic-arm thing that puts the mic next to the mouth, like you'd see Brittany Spears or whomever lipsync into, but for real singers.

Anyway, I still love these things.

I will add, the custom molded sleeves did not work out in the long run. The molds worked amazingly well when they worked, but when flying, as is often the case, my skin would plump or get thinner (dehydration and low air pressure), and the right mold would completely lose its seal. The left one seemed to work fine, or if it didn't it wasn't as bad as the right. Ultimately I got my money back and rather than try the larger molds, I chose to stick with the Shure OEM expanding foam sleeves. I spoke to the President at the Comply company and told him I wish they made one size larger for me and he said that Shure has trouble selling their large foam sleeves and he couldn't justify such a low seller. I guess my ear canals are just bigger than all your ear canals - it is probably why I can hear so much better, especially speaker failings, and probably why I am so much smarter than all of you. In fact, my large male member and abilities to please your wives better than any of you might be related to my large ear canals. Maybe some research should be done.

I have gone on and on about how I prefer the sound of the Shure SE series IEMs because of their natural, in-enhanced tone balance and super-accurate midrange. Well, today I was sitting in my favorite coffee shop repeatedly editing my resume and cover letter for various jobs I am applying for while listening to random music play on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It tend to listen a bit louder than most folk (which should damage my hearing, but it hasn't for some stupid reason) and a song by Martha Wainwright came on and the bass from it nearly blew out my eardrums. I would argue this album was not mixed using speakers with a low bass response, because bass drum hits made me feel my hair was pumping into the air and my sinuses were expanding with each beat. Damn!

Suffice it to say, these little IEMs have deep extension and huge output capabilities.

Back