• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Quantum Dots

My understanding is that yields are way better than OLED and that many manufacturers may forgo OLED entirely in favor of Quantum Dot displays.

Freaky!! I was just reading my latest Popular Science and voila:

Samsung JS9500

Size 88 inches
Screen Curved
Resolution 3840 x 2160
Smart OS Tizen

Building a home entertainment center is a lot like building a house: You need a solid foundation--and that’s your television. If you’re starting from scratch, you’ll want a TV that will last more than five years, which means going with the highest-resolution screen available. Right now, that means buying a 4K TV. But there are a lot of different models (and gimmicks) out there. Happily, only one type really matters: the new Samsung SUHD TVs.

The new 4K TV line is one of the first to use nanocrystals*, also known as quantum dots. When paired with blue light-emitting diode (LED) backlights, nanocrystals offer sharper contrasts, more accurate color, and brighter images than conventional LCDs. And because blue LEDs are cheap to make, nanocrystal TVs are markedly less expensive than organic LED (OLED) TVs--their main competitors in the 4K market.

Samsung’s SUHD series includes flat and curved models in sizes between 48 and 88 inches. The TVs also have an eight-core processor to drive their new streaming-friendly operating system, which allows users to launch directly into Netflix or YouTube without a set-top box and to access PlayStation Now games without a console. That translates to fewer cables and less clutter--and a ridiculously easy setup.

No price though!!

No price?

You know what they say. If ya have to ask how much....

UN65JS9500 - 65-inch Curved Available Now $6,499
UN78JS9100 - 78-inch Curved Available May $9,999
UN65JS9000 - 65-inch Curved Available Now $4,999
UN55JS9000 - 55-inch Curved Available Now $3,999
UN48JS9000 - 48-inch Curved Available Now $3,499
UN65JS8500 - 65-inch Flat Available Now $3,999
UN55JS8500 - 55-inch Flat Available Now $2,999

Cnet said:
Those prices are UPP (universal pricing plan), so they're set by the manufacturer and vendors have little room for further discounts. The only exception to the prices listed above is the UN65JS9500, which sells for $500 less than Samsung's "official" price.

The flat versions are significantly less expensive but do not have the local diming capabilities which are reserved for their curved sets. The report also notes that LG may have local dimmed flat sets in their line-up.

:text-link:

Towen7 said:
The report also notes that LG may have local dimmed flat sets in their line-up.

Best news I've read in a month! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

I mis-spoke. The flat LGs will be OLED.

Cnet said:
... note that the best SUHD sets are curved-only, while LG's OLED TVs will be available in both curved and (later this year) flat screens. But it's also worth remembering that the best 65-inch SUHD is also $3000 less than a 65-inch OLED.

I plan to wait another year or two until those prices drop before I bit and I definitely don't want a curved screen. My seating area is pretty wide and I don't see curved being fantastic for off-axis viewing.

In another year or two their will be probably another killer tech on the horizon.

All I need is one killer tech that does not have the flaws of LCD. Give me an 80" UHD screen that I can afford and looks as good as a nice plasma and I'm there.

Haywood said:
All I need is one killer tech that does not have the flaws of LCD. Give me an 80" UHD screen that I can afford and looks as good as a nice plasma and I'm there.
Have you eliminated a front projection setup from consideration?

Zing said:
Haywood said:
Have you eliminated a front projection setup from consideration?

I do not have a dedicated room. There is too much ambient light to contend with and I can't fit much more than an 80" screen anyway.

Back